okay, noob question about the TU-2....

• Members

if i remember right, my tu-2 had a calibrate button on the control face. no internal trimpots or anything. i think you can just press that button and feed it your reference frequency and it will automatically calibrate. that being said, i'm much happier since i got a turbo tuner.

also, the whole tu-1000 thing is my favorite thing that's happened over here.

Hmmm... or he could just sell the TU-2 and get a Peterson or a Turbo Tuner...
:idk:
... just sounds a little more feasible than recalibrating a crappy tuner by getting a flux capacitor and joining the league of extraordinary gentlemen, like you, Phil.
;)

:lol:

It's really not all THAT hard. :)

Pro Tools has a plugin called "Signal Generator". Create a track in PT, and drop the fader all the way DOWN. Insert the signal generator plugin (it's under RTAS / Other) and set it for a 440 Hz sine wave. Plug one of your audio interface's stereo outputs into the TU-2 (or any tuner) and slowly raise the fader in PT until you can see the pitch registering on the tuner. You can then see how accurate it is - or isn't. If it's accurate and well-calibrated, it should center and indicate an "A" that is perfectly in tune... if it's not... :cop: It's a fun (for a recording engineering geek anyway) exercise to quickly check everyone in the band's tuner and see how far everyone is tuning from everyone else. :lol:

The hardest part is figuring out which trim pot (if any) actually adjusts the pitch reference on your particular tuner. But whatever. You kids get off my lawn and run down to the electronics store and pick me up a bag of nanowebers.... :mad:;)

Seriously - perfectly good tuners do occasionally drift. If you can take fifteen minutes and fix it, it's better IMHO than spending more money on a replacement. While I do think the Peterson is a better tuner, not everyone needs or can appreciate that level of accuracy, and if their current tuner is otherwise satisfactory, I'd rather just fix it. YMMV. :)

• Members

i have a tu-2 too, its total {censored}. you really cant tune a guitar properly without the TU1000. it has so many other uses too; you can use it as a bridge to cross small rivers, you can use it as a makeshift roof for a few people if you get caught in the rain, its also great for eating up stage space and letting everyone know right away how freaking cool you are.

THe TU1000 has the highest quality fidelity. But of course you have to modify it with the TK421.

Archived