I want to hear YOUR music

• Members

*pm for link*

released my 5 track EP in march. site by Bandcamp, so free streaming hi quality, 99c download for the album with a million formats, including 96khz 24 bit FLAC.

written performed and produced by moi. sounds like some sort of combination of early 70s bowie, velvet underground, and arcade fire. but not really.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like The Zealots' stuff - Snow at the moment. It's kinda like MGMT with those big warm synth sounds (I think that's the band I'm thinking of!) with Strokes style music. The drumming is fantastically shambolic. And "In the Morning" has harmonies, which is awesome!

thanks man. i'm not a fan of much new electro pop but im sure i have a lot of the same influences. i'm very obsessed with 80's stuff at the moment. cyndi lauper, gary numan, oingo boingo, etc

i play drums in the zealots but that song was actually recorded while i was away. i wanted to record them again but they never recorded to a click :facepalm: i can stand them though. definitely makes the track sound more lo-fi than originally intended imo

• Members

I started to learn how to do basic recordings this past week. And I have to say it's a bit humbling, to listen back to what you've been playing. I really don't like any of it. My timing isn't bad, not great, but a lot of other things bug me, because I know I can do better. I hear notes that aren't fretted as well as they should be, bends that aren't completely in tune, chords that aren't complete, and riffs that are slower than they could be. So no, I'm not posting anything until I hear something I like, then I'll share. I realize my technique needs more improving than my tone. I've spent time and money getting nice tone, now I actually need to spend more time getting my chops up to speed. Time is always the challenge for me though.

Think of this place like singing in the shower. pop it up. I've recorded myself from day one of picking up a guitar, and I find it really helps you to listen back to your own stuff. Helps is the keyword, I still stink, but its all in fun!

• Members

here's almost all my lame, stuttering, suck-ass demos and {censored}. if i were you, unless ya want serious punishment, i'd start at the bottom with titania and work my way up. should keep ya busy for a little while. if ya don't like one song, try the next, {censored}ers are all over the place stylistically.

http://icompositions.com/artists/pinkjimiphoton

here's my very favorite review of my music, lol...i kept it for posterity on my website:

http://jimipocius.com//pokyass.htm

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Good thread - I bet I'm not the only one who finds they don't often bother actually listening to clips posted, which is wierd. Because surely that's what all this is about? So I'm going to listen to everyone who posted in this thread, or at least, I'll try to...

I like that. How did you get those sounds in "underwater"? It's crazy! cool.gif And Hegemony too?

hahahaha I forgotten I had that up... underwater... I really can't recall what did with that one. It was a funny of the top of the joke song. Hegemony also one take, Its a DE-7 for the most part on everything thing. Bass and Synth... guitars... but mostly the Ibanez DE-7 tweaking around...

• Members

View Post

Nice. What was the reason you decided to work with such sort tracks? Was it for a show reel or a particular project?

I'm listening to Idle Time, great song! How'd you get those guitar sounds? It's really nice - ethereal and atmospheric while still sounding quite direct. I'm trying to work out who the singer puts me in mind of. He's a bit like a cross between Micheal Stipe and the guy from the Editors. Which is definitely a good thing in my book!

Now Marmalade's come on. I really like your guitar playing. Nice to hear a wah in a non - cock rock context. cool.gif

Cool, is that one of those Tweaker amps? Your lead break at 2:20 or so is awesome, how do you play that? Can I steal it? wink.gif

I like The Zealots' stuff - Snow at the moment. It's kinda like MGMT with those big warm synth sounds (I think that's the band I'm thinking of!) with Strokes style music. The drumming is fantastically shambolic. And "In the Morning" has harmonies, which is awesome!

I've started off with "The Tides" because the name caught my eye. Great production, where'd you get it done? It's making me think of Oceansize, which is definitely a good thing. The drumming is tight as. What delay are you using? Sounds a bit like DL4's analogue mode?

And how did you get the sound at the start of the Navigator? It's good.

Damn, this is taking ages. You're all good. icon_lol.gif

Thanks man! I did all of the instruments and vocals, recorded on my Boss BR-532 4-track pretty lo-fi. thanks for the compliments, I am quite uncomfortable with my singing voice. I used an Octave Multiplexor, Q-Tron, Z-vex Distortron, Big Muff (on the middle 8) a Flanger Hoax, a Guyatone SV-2 and the Behringer RV-600 on "shimmer" mode on Idle Time. As for Marmalade, there is no wah on that, it is a Flanger Hoax.

• Members

View Post

I like soundclick, it makes me think of my uni days. Listening to Solar Eclipse, it's cool. What are your influences? It's sort of like serialist music in a sense, and the intro feedback noises made me think of steve reich's pendulum music.

thanks for listening! influences. um. the strokes, radiohead, the fiery furnaces... stuff and such.

interesting about the serialist music thing though, as i'm hoping to pursue that in my schooling. i haven't learned anything about it yet, but i do enjoy a bit of anton weber. also, i've just recently gotten into steve reich. both the serialism/steve reich thing came after i recorded that song, so it's strange of you to pick that out! very interesting. probably means i should go with it icon_lol.gif

did you post a link to your stuff in this thread and i missed it?

Archived