I want to hear YOUR music

• Members

I started to learn how to do basic recordings this past week. And I have to say it's a bit humbling, to listen back to what you've been playing. I really don't like any of it. My timing isn't bad, not great, but a lot of other things bug me, because I know I can do better. I hear notes that aren't fretted as well as they should be, bends that aren't completely in tune, chords that aren't complete, and riffs that are slower than they could be. So no, I'm not posting anything until I hear something I like, then I'll share. I realize my technique needs more improving than my tone. I've spent time and money getting nice tone, now I actually need to spend more time getting my chops up to speed. Time is always the challenge for me though.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by IRG

View Post

I started to learn how to do basic recordings this past week. And I have to say it's a bit humbling, to listen back to what you've been playing.

I feel you here.

I've been starting to record demos ect. for my band's next EP (we did next to no proper pre-production for our first EP and I was/am unhappy with the results to an extent, we'll definitely learn from that experience) and I firstly realise just how much I have to learn in terms of learning how to record/mix properly and just how difficult playing with a small budget is. And also how much I need to work on my toanz and general accuracy when playing.

Anyways my band's first EP is here: http://themissive.bandcamp.com/ (I will conceed this may not be to most people's liking, "Shame On You" has some Memory Boy and POG 2 action. I never really dug the tones we managed to end up with on that EP really.

Here's a track from my soundcloud that I've recorded myself: http://soundcloud.com/tomwales/tom-and-bell-rough

I've got other stuff on there but they are rough (really rough) ideas I just threw up to share with my bandmates, I'll probably change/chop large portions of the other ideas on there.

I just use soundcloud to share ideas/ask opinions of friends rather than a place for any complete songs.

• Members
Cool, is that one of those Tweaker amps? Your lead break at 2:20 or so is awesome, how do you play that? Can I steal it?
;)

it's the rebel 30. I actually just sold it. it sounds dynomite but not enough headroom. The part there is sweep picking minor major minor major arpeggios. I slapped on some delay from my flashback. It's nice to be asked about something on normal guitar playing, usually I get asked about the slap guitar thing. I can play like that because I have OCD and practice all the time, I actually constantly sweep in between alternate picking while I play its something I did on my own then find out frank gambale does the same thing, but I must be boring you now this is about effects and stuff lol. Also man not only will I show how to do it you can use it all you want theft is the best flattery.

• Members

See sig. Our EP was just released today

sort of Pavement-ish 90s indie rock meets feedback/noise/shoegaze meets Talking Heads meets Arcade Fire (I've even heard one person say "sort of mathy," which is only because our drummer is in a math rock band) meets three guitars being loud.

• Members
This is surreal stuff! I think "the conditioner" is my favourite. Quite creepy sounding.
:eek:

Thanks dude! They are all apartment improvs, that for some reason I couldn't let go of, so Im putting them out while I make a 'proper' Demo, so theres some offish spots for sure, but I like the first two on each ep myself, and the others I go back and forth on...the singing mostly...but eh, it adds character :lol:

Archived