Danelectro Pedals- The Definitive Worthwhile List

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know everyone hates the Corned Beef Reverb, but I quite like it... no, it's not a
proper
reverb, but if you dial it in for subtle ambience (and turn the tone control down) it sounds REALLY good... or if you turn it up and run it
through
a distortion (with the tone control set to taste) you can create a wall of noise that a lot of people here would probably like.

you and me Kev would be good friends. ive always dug the corned beef. i used it on the Eco's 3-d in a few songs.

• Members

Of the ones I've used...

The Chili Dog Octave is cool for weird sounds

The Backtalk Reverse Delay does one of the best reverse delays around

The Cool Cat Drive v1 is simply one of the best overdrives I've ever used. Tons of range and stacks beautifully.

The Danecho is a great little tape echo simulator. Goes great with fuzz.

The Cool Cat Vibe sounds pretty cool, but the volume spike is annoying.

The Hashbrowns Flanger is okay, nothing special, a little dull, but gets the job done in a pinch.

The Corned Beef Reverb isn't pristine and it doesn't get really big or deep sounding, but it has its uses in a noisy set-up

The Pepperoni Phaser is just kind of weak sounding and doesn't do much for me.

The Cool Cat Fuzz v1 doesn't have much sustain or texture. I didn't like it at all.

The Fab Tone, for all its knobs, just does one sound, and its too fuzzy to work as a distortion, but it doesn't have as much character as a good fuzz.

The Cool Cat TOD v1 didn't wow me like others. It seemed flabby and dull on lower strings.

• Members

The Chili dog is the best octave ive ever played because it sounds very organic

The French Toast is a very good octave fuzz

The Danowah looks cool and has lots of features but doesnt sound too great and the dist sounds like a modem

The Fish and Chips EQ is fantastic and everyone should have one

The Fab Chorus is pretty cool but mine sucks some tone out front

The Fab Flange can do some crazy sounds but otherwise is useless

The Cool Cat Fuzz V1 sounds really cool for lots of stuff other than doom-y sounds

The Black Coffee sounds horrible all around

Of course YMMV but this has been my experience with them

• Members

I've tried the following so far and really liked it

Danelectro Rocky Road - The best bang for buck leslie emulation pedal.

f?sh'n'chips - Great eq pedal

TOD v1 - Really great OD pedal

cool Cat Fuzz - Really liked the old school vibey sound of it.

Spring King - Great pedal for the price.

• Members

I've had the Fab Overdrive, the Chilidog octave, the Pepperoni Phaser, and the Psycho Flange. For the money they were all pretty fair, and I didn't have any complaints, just wanted to try other things. The Fab overdrive is actually a really great pedal, and I feel pretty dumb now for having sold it for 15 bucks. Will buy another eventually. The Psycho Flange is a one trick pony, and it will totally overpower your signal so it's best in a loop, but it has a distinctly textured kind of sound that gives it its own character.

• Members

I was on a Dano collecting kick awhile back, got the Dano pedalboards to go with um' of course. I need to let them go now, I'm gonna' try to sell um' as a set. 040.jpg

038.jpg

There's a surf board, rock board and a sludge/doom board. I really like them all.

• Members

bad: corned beef reverb, dan-o-matic,
surf and turf comp

I think their compressor is very good, low tone loss. Its effect can seem a little bit subtle though. Not a rack unit or one of the high end rack-in-a-pedals, but at least actually sounds like compression and is usable.

• Members

Pretty much every Cool Cat is well worth the price aswell as the old Danelectro Dan Echo.

Currently have the Reel Echo which is great apart from it's size (the SOS is great!) and the Talk Back which is probably one of my favourite pedals since I got it 6 months or so ago, very trip hop ;p

DON'T BUY THE SITAR SWAMI EVER. I MADE THE MISTAKE AND THOUGHT I SHOULD WARN OTHERS.

• Members

HM, two pages and no mention of any of the Wasabi pedals.

I have a Wasabi overdrive, and find it's very useful with P90's, as well as a stock std Tele.

I have had the Wasabi Delay and the Chorus/Tremolo. Didn't care much for the latter, but that Delay pedal was uber-cool. Complete with a tail light that blinked your tap tempo.

There's been quite a few "good" Dano pedals over the years IMO. Several of the "food" series (Chicken Salad, Tuna Melt, Rocky Road, French Toast, Fish & Chips, etc.) are well worth the price of admission (usually dirt-cheap, relatively speaking) and most of the Cool Cat stuff that I have tried (Fuzz, Drive I and II, TOD II, etc.) also sounds very good. No, they're not all perfect. A couple of the food series weren't for me, the Sitar Swami is simply dreadful, and yes, the Cool Cat Vibe (which sounds good IMO) has a volume boost, and the Reel Echo and Spring King are pedalboard space hogs... they're still cool pedals. You just have to get the right one(s) and avoid the duds, and / or be willing to accept some quirks, such as the (surprisingly strong) plastic cases on the food series, the non-standard case shapes, etc. Ask around or do a search. There's probably at least one thread on any particular Dano pedal you're considering, if not several.

There was another thread recently where someone was lamenting the fact that pedals are "boring looking", and that everyone puts their stuff into Hammond boxes instead of doing something different with their enclosures. Danelectro is a good example of a company that generally doesn't do that. I like the quirkiness -- and the cool sounds for low $$. :)

Archived