The Speed of Light Barrier has allegedly been broken

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They'll feel the same length of time to you, but when you arrive your watch will be fast

I saw this thread hoping you would post in it haha. You studied astro didn't you? I'm currently in my last year of astro.

Here is the paper if anyone is interested. Their GPS systems are incredibly accurate it really is an interesting read (to me at least).

• Members
I saw this thread hoping you would post in it haha. You studied astro didn't you? I'm currently in my last year of astro.

Here
is the paper if anyone is interested. Their GPS systems are incredibly accurate it really is an interesting read (to me at least).

Yeah, I graduated now, but there's no future in it here in the UK. Massive cuts to PhDs and Postdocs. I'm doing my PhD in engineering.

Ah, you see, but GPS systems have to account for relativity. And relativity says you can't go faster than the speed of light. So they're using relativistic adjustments to disprove relativity :lol:

• Members

Yeah, I graduated now, but there's no future in it here in the UK. Massive cuts to PhDs and Postdocs. I'm doing my PhD in engineering.

Ah, you see, but GPS systems have to account for relativity. And relativity says you can't go faster than the speed of light. So they're using relativistic adjustments to disprove relativity
:lol:

just woke up. Oh snap!

• Members

Ah, you see, but GPS systems have to account for relativity. And relativity says you can't go faster than the speed of light. So they're using relativistic adjustments to disprove relativity

you changed your name? now I'll have to adjust my sig :rolleyes:

• Members

My prediction:

they'll ultimately determine that a neutrino's 'direct impact interaction' with a more mundane particle is not exactly 'no reaction'.

They'll find that neutrinos pass thru mundane particles as as wormhole, since the mundane particle warps timespace in a manner monumentally more than the neutrino itself.

So it contacts Mundane and instantaneously appears on the far side of Mundane....such a small time interaction slips by us in the single interactions observed in a water tank. But when you blast them thru a couple hundred kilometers of solid matter (straight line CERN to OPERA goes thru ground....see also Flat Earth theory) there are just enough of these quantum hopscotch jumps to add up to 60 nsec.

• Members

I'm not using their accuracy as an argument for it being true I just thought the GPS systems were an interesting side note, bad wording sorry. Its funny how the media can take a hold of something so quickly and preach its validity.

Physicists are also on the rapid decline here as well, except in our case its not cuts rather people just don't want to do it. They are begging for honours students at my uni. Engineering is becoming ridiculously popular and ridiculously well paid here as well. Anyway good luck with your PhD.

• Members

The finding is at a 6 sigma significance, and they did over 10,000 runs so it is up to the rest of the hi-energy physics community to follow the work up and reproduce it. Interesting point about satellites, GPS and relativity though. The experiment (albeit a very big one) is unlikely to disprove all of Einstein's work on relativity.

• Members

For all I know, he was using his own terminology. Nevertheless, faster than light travel was what he was talking about and it's now proved.

BTW, according to wikipedia: "Electron neutrinos (or antineutrinos) result when protons decay, through beta decay, to neutrons, or vice versa."

• Members

See the comments here for more neutron/neutrino discussion.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/09/nikola-tesla-predicted-faster-than-light-particles-in-1932/

I find Tesla so fascinating.....someone needs to do a bio-pic about his life, just an incredible story.

Looks like there will be one

http://northshoresun.timesreview.com/2011/09/18053/matrix-harry-potter-cinematographer-signs-on-to-tesla-film/

Archived