Nashville Peeps: I just found a Brown Recluse spider on my wall/

Edkoppel

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I killed a brown recluse that was hiding underneath my oscilloscope last night. I used to see them all the time growing up in St. Louis, but not so much anymore. We have loads of wolf and jumping spiders in our house which don't even make me flinch, but those brown recluse spiders scare the {censored} out of me.

My brother got bit by a brown recluse a couple of years ago, and ended up in the emergency room several days later with a fever, naseau, and this gaping quarter-sized, blue-ish black crater on his inner thigh. The spider was hiding in a pair of shorts that had been sitting in the bottom of his closet for months. He put them on and the bugger bit him. Luckily, he wasn't going commando that day.

• Members
we have piles of wolf spiders in my house, they're harmless to humans
:idk:

plus they can carry off any mice that come into the house

this - spiders kill other bugs. we had a wolf and it's eggs near our back door and we watched the whole process.

• Members
i saw one of these guys in Costa Rica.

4c6c5d13_vbattach366622.jpg

Dude, those Banana Spider bastards were the bane of my life growing up on the GA coast. You'd be riding your bike through the woods, run into a huge web stretched between two cedar trees, and pull a freakin' 3-4 inch long spider off your head. Never got bit, though. I hear its a painful experience.

Our house was made of cedar, which is, from my experience, a wood that spiders of all varieties love. We had these huge spiders that lived in the eaves and light fixtures. I was somewhat of an arachnophobe due to my extensive knowledge on the topic, and they left me scared {censored}less. One night, I woke up with one crawling across my face. Never got bitten, thankfully.

• Members
20100820-IMG_8644.jpg

We had {censored}loads of these at the lake this summer. I think they are called popcorn spiders. Anyway they do make a popping sound when you hid with the insecticide and then squash them under your boot. I must have killed 20 of them.

Archived