Suhr Riot vs. Barber Stuff vs. Wampler Stuff for Metal?

LesPaulFetish

• Members

OK, this is my last distortion pedal thread for a while, I promise! :D (I've posted a good like 5 in the last month in HCEG :facepalm:)

So ya, needing something that will handle metal through a Hot Rod Deluxe. I know it won't be the greatest tone, but something passable would be good. I'm really liking the Suhr Riot, it's not a "Marshally" sound to me but it's more open, bright and even. They're a tad expensive, though, so I'm weighing my options. For 200 bucks I could get about anything.

The Super Sport is more Marshally, sounds cool in the demos, is well priced and is tweakable.

The Dirty Bomb is a bit... Too much? I don't know, at least in videos it seems like a bit too much for me, jsut too buzzy and whatnot like many high gain boxes. Is this just Youtube quality? Sounds a bit harsh compared to the Riot, but might be what I need. The word on the street is that this thing is awesome, so I'm going to assume it's awesome.

Wampler makes some really cool stuff, but anyone know if they would "handle" metal at all? The chug chug stuff. If I was looking for my ideal dirt pedal I would probably have a Pinnacle on the way to my house right now, but I have a feeling it wouldn't suit what I need right now.

We're pretty into Megadeth, so I suppose something that could pull this sort of stuff off would be the best:

[video=youtube;rtsD2tBPZgo]

[video=youtube;hyWJCd1GYhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWJCd1GYhw

I've kind of thrown the whole "I want something versatile" thing out the window. I'll pick up a tubescreamer later for the bl00z, but need something for a little bit of br00tz.

LAST ONE, FOR REAL! :D

• Members

I definately dig the Riot, and I could get one locally (more expensive up here in Canada :mad:) and test it first through my rig. If it can handle the chugs it's definately up my alley, like a cranked Marshall except clearer and more balanced across the spectrum EQ wise. Sounds great in the demos, but most of those are done by pro players :D

• Members

The Barber Super Sport gets my vote, super tweakable from SHO style boosts all the way to the full blown marshally-esque heavy distortion with everything in between (it cops a REALLY nice TS style overdrive as well)

With that said the Riot is on my short list of dirts I'm really wanting to try.

• Members

I'd like to type a big shmooze as to why the Dr. Scientist is the best thing on the {censored}in planet, but I'm too lazy.

The Dr. Scientist is the only high gain distortion pedal that I have ever truly loved and that can hang with other amps I play with. ENGLs, 6505's, High Gain Marshalls. It {censored}ing slays.

[video=youtube;ArYsMQXbl8s]

Do yourself a favor, Send Ryan @ Dr. Scientist an email and ask if he has any blemished Elements, he sells them for 190 shipped.

And when you've got it. Thank me for saving you money before trying all those other pedals that don't hold a candle to it.

• Members

Elements. Me and pewt did a quick shootout between the riot and the elements and I actually play metal. Elements was the clear winner. The elements nails the riot tone to a tee, and then you still have way more variety in the box too.

• Members

To me, that megadeth stuff doesn't sound very chunky in the low end, actually.

What you probably actually want is something with a lot of upper mid and treble for that sound and not that much bass.

The bass should ideally come from, you know...a bass, if you want it to sound good in a mix.

• Members

DO I HAVE A PRESENT FOR YOU OP

HERE YOU GO

12 AM SOUND CLIPS OF AS METAL AS I CAN MAKE THE DR. SCIENTIST

1ST CLIP: My Ibanez RG560 tuned to the METALEST OF TUNINGS. A Standard and me playing as wanky as I can possibly play. lotsa taps yo

http://soundcloud.com/dannyunderwood/a-standard-riff-wank-on-dr

2ND CLIP: EVERY METALLICA RIFF I KNOW. LUL ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE i PLAYED THESE

http://soundcloud.com/dannyunderwood/metallica-riffs-in-ur-ass-dr

I even dialed it in with TOO MUCH gain, just to show you how much gain it actually has. But LISTEN YOU CAN STILL HEaR THE NOTES!

• Members

Do yourself a favor, Send Ryan @ Dr. Scientist an email and ask if he has any blemished Elements, he sells them for 190 shipped.

And when you've got it. Thank me for saving you money before trying all those other pedals that don't hold a candle to it.

Well fuck, they're a Canadian company too? Sick! :D

I might try them out next time I'm down closer to Toronto.

• Members

DO I HAVE A PRESENT FOR YOU OP

HERE YOU GO

12 AM SOUND CLIPS OF AS METAL AS I CAN MAKE THE DR. SCIENTIST

1ST CLIP: My Ibanez RG560 tuned to the METALEST OF TUNINGS. A Standard and me playing as wanky as I can possibly play. lotsa taps yo

http://soundcloud.com/dannyunderwood/a-standard-riff-wank-on-dr

2ND CLIP: EVERY METALLICA RIFF I KNOW. LUL ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE i PLAYED THESE

http://soundcloud.com/dannyunderwood/metallica-riffs-in-ur-ass-dr

I even dialed it in with TOO MUCH gain, just to show you how much gain it actually has. But LISTEN YOU CAN STILL HEaR THE NOTES!

Wow man, thanks. I'll definately have to check this one out, sounds pretty niceeee. It'll probably be around the same price as the Riot too, and look at how many more knobbies you get! :D

Archived