The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Members

awwww yeah, 8mm of fishy goodness just landed...

fish.jpg

now with an 8mm, 28mm & 50mm + the nikon to EOS adapter (that also arrived today) so I can use them on my 300D, I should be good for lenses for a bit and can take time to search for deals (or just don't spend any more money for a while).

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Anybody have tips on shooting film or is it pretty straightforward?

Don't open the back when you've got a fim in :lol: (for real)

Don't go out shooting assuming you've got a fim in (for realler - when I was in school I took a roll of film as research for my GCSE Art exam, had to go back and do it all again :facepalm:)

Make sure you set the ISO when you put the film in - If you take out a roll of 200 and put in 400 and forget to set the dial, all your shots will be under-exposed.

Film costs money so make sure you've got a good shot before releasing the shutter - you can't just take a {censored}load and hope one will be good like you can with digital. Actually, doing this will make your digital photography better as you'll start doing it all the time. Remember Cartier-Bresson's 'decisive moment' and take the right photo at the right time (see pic).

photo.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the tips RadioSilence! Henri Cartier-Bresson was one of the reasons I got a film camera (a rangefinder-styled one as well).

Ah cool. If it's an older one check that the light seals are still good. Once the foam rubber reaches a certain age it turns into a sticky, gunky substance. It should be replaceable by a good camera tech though. Best thing to do though is just to put a roll of film through - if light is leaking in it will show up on the negs.

• Members

Larry had me totally set on the D7000. Which I still really dig. But it almost seems that it is not as good at video as the D5100.

There are definitely tradeoffs between the two. But I really want good video. Any advice from you guys?

Also, I dunno if you guys know about it (you probably do) but this site: http://snapsort.com/ has been really helpful to me in my search. :wave:

• Members

Larry had me totally set on the D7000. Which I still really dig. But it almost seems that it is not as good at video as the D5100.

There are definitely tradeoffs between the two. But I really want good video. Any advice from you guys?

Also, I dunno if you guys know about it (you probably do) but this site:
http://snapsort.com/
has been really helpful to me in my search.
:wave:

If you want good video, you might want to consider a Sony DSLT (A35, A55, A65). They offer better autofocus for video than Canon/Nikon.

• Members

Remember the 5100 doesn't have an autofocus motor so you're going to have to get lenses with their own motors (if you want to have autofocus of course). Seems like a good buy otherwise.

Yes that is a real trade off between the 5100 and the 7000.

I'm curious if I'll even notice the 24fps vs 30fps at 1080...

I've also been checking out Vimeo, just searching out cameras and watching videos made with them... here is a D5100

• Members

From what I've been reading... unless you're spending quite a bit on the camera the autofocus features of most the moderate priced units are pretty unusable.
:idk:
I will have a look at them.

Sony's done a pretty good job with AF in video. Have a look at this comparison between a Canon Rebel and a Sony A55. Please note though, you have to pay a pretty penny for Sony lenses that have silent AF ($700+).

[YOUTUBE]kHPaVD0pHpQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

looking forward to getting my 18-70 Nikkor in the post from Radiosilence

this will give me the following lenses

10-20mm Sigma F4-5.6 version

18-70mm Nikkor DX

50mm Sigma F2.8 Macro

70-210mm AF-D Nikkor

and hopefully going to upgrade my D300 to the D400 when it's launched

• Members

Good point. For the price, the 5100 seems hard to beat, it is hard to make that stretch to double the price for the 7000. I'm really curious to try hook some of my mics direct to one and see how it all looks and sounds.

Like I said, it really depends on what you intend to use the camera for. If primarily video, the 5100 is the way to go because it has such "video friendly" features as an articulated screen. Otherwise, it has the exact same 16.2MP sensor as the D7000 and takes a fantastic saturated sharp photo that gives you tons of cropping options. If primarily for photos, the D7000 is way more advanced than the 5100, including much better and faster metering and auto focus systems. Some of the features of the D7000 (such as the new very convenient button for selecting auto focus options) have been carried forward to Nikon's new Canon-beater, the D800 and the D800E.

Based on what I glean from your posts, I would venture that the D5100 will fit your needs very well - great video, wide selection of lenses (all of the new Nikon "G" series lenses as well as the earlier "D" series have built-in autofocus motors so all of them will work for the D5100, and that includes all of the finest lenses Nikon currently makes). If you want to economize on lenses, you can go the Sigma - Tamron option, but I would highly suggest staying with Nikkor lenses. Get a fast 50mm and one of the new Nikkor 55-300 superzooms (approx. 80-450mm equivalent), which have been very favorably reviewed, and you're set to go.

Remember that lenses designed primarily for DSLR photography are not optimized for video (it's more difficult to rack focus, for example), although they work very well.

As to brand, the Sony cameras are having a very hard time making any dent in the Nikon-Canon dominance of the DSLR market and for good reason. Their cameras are not as good, their sensors tend to be noisy at higher ISO's, the selection of compatible lenses is very slim (compared to Nikon and Canon) and the Sony lenses themselves are not highly regarded. Sony basically took over the Minolta line and re-branded it, although they are now starting to offer their own new designs, primarily in the compact and m4/3 markets.

I chose to go with Nikon years ago (my first SLR was a Nikon F4 which I still have and still love) because IMO, the Nikon lenses are far superior to comparable Canon lenses (with some notable exceptions where the quality of the lens is pretty equal, eg. Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 vs. the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (both costing about $2,300), but the Nikon lenses generally kick butt over the Canon versions (this is all verifiable via DXo tests), and I don't regret it one bit. Even my cheapo Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (the "nifty fifty", costing about $199 new) takes a crisp tack-sharp photo under any light condition, particularly with my D700. I also think the Nikon cameras are ergonomically better than the Canon's, that is, they are much more comfortable and handle better.

I am sure the Canon fan bois will be all over my opinions, but that's my $.02.

• Members

looking forward to getting my 18-70 Nikkor in the post from Radiosilence

Hope it does you well, it served for nearly 4 years as my only lens.

I've got a Sigma 50-200 that I got on ebay on its way to me, I'm looking out for a 35mm prime. Those plus the 50mm f/1.8 I have will do me fine as a lens kit for now.

The Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8D is fantastic for such a cheap lens by the way, I recommend picking one up - sharp as {censored}, great for portraits :thu:

560px-Lens_Nikkor_50mm.jpg

• Members

Hope it does you well, it served for nearly 4 years as my only lens.

I've got a Sigma 50-200 that I got on ebay on its way to me, I'm looking out for a 35mm prime. Those plus the 50mm f/1.8 I have will do me fine as a lens kit for now.

The Nikkor
50 mm f/1.8D
is fantastic for such a cheap lens by the way, I recommend picking one up - sharp as {censored}, great for portraits
:thu:
560px-Lens_Nikkor_50mm.jpg

I concur about the 50mm f/1.8. One of the great product deals on the planet. A fantastic lens.

My current walkaround for my D7000 is the Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G). Gives me slightly wider at the wide end, and slightly longer at the long end. and the limited zoom range doesn't compromise quality. Otherwise, you will find my Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G or my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G on my D7000 (75mm equivalent, great for street photography and portraits. My walkaround lenses for my Nikon D700 are my Nikkor 24-120 f/4.0 constant, or my 24-70 f/2.8, which is an unbelievable lenses but like a boat anchor to carry around all day, or my new Nikkor 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 if I want a bit more reach. These share equal time with the 50mm f/1.4.

• Members

Like I said, it really depends on what you intend to use the camera for. If primarily video, the 5100 is the way to go because it has such "video friendly" features as an articulated screen. Otherwise, it has the exact same 16.2MP sensor as the D7000 and takes a fantastic saturated sharp photo that gives you tons of cropping options. If primarily for photos, the D7000 is way more advanced than the 5100, including much better and faster metering and auto focus systems. Some of the features of the D7000 (such as the new very convenient button for selecting auto focus options) have been carried forward to Nikon's new Canon-beater, the D800 and the D800E.

Based on what I glean from your posts, I would venture that the D5100 will fit your needs very well - great video, wide selection of lenses (all of the new Nikon "G" series lenses as well as the earlier "D" series have built-in autofocus motors so all of them will work for the D5100, and that includes all of the finest lenses Nikon currently makes). If you want to economize on lenses, you can go the Sigma - Tamron option, but I would highly suggest staying with Nikkor lenses. Get a fast 50mm and one of the new Nikkor 55-300 superzooms (approx. 80-450mm equivalent), which have been very favorably reviewed, and you're set to go.

Remember that lenses designed primarily for DSLR photography are not optimized for video (it's more difficult to rack focus, for example), although they work very well.

As to brand, the Sony cameras are having a very hard time making any dent in the Nikon-Canon dominance of the DSLR market and for good reason. Their cameras are not as good, their sensors tend to be noisy at higher ISO's, the selection of compatible lenses is very slim (compared to Nikon and Canon) and the Sony lenses themselves are not highly regarded. Sony basically took over the Minolta line and re-branded it.

I chose to go with Nikon years ago (my first SLR was a Nikon F4 which I still have and still love) because IMO, the Nikon lenses are far superior to comparable Canon lenses (with some notable exceptions where the quality of the lens is pretty equal, eg. Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 vs. the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (both costing about $2,300), but the Nikon lenses generally kick butt over the Canon versions (this is all verifiable via DXo tests), and I don't regret it one bit. Even my cheapo Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (the "nifty fifty", costing about $199 new) takes a crisp tack-sharp photo under any light condition, particularly with my D700. I also think the Nikon cameras are ergonomically better than the Canon's, that is, they are much more comfortable and handle better.

I am sure the Canon fan bois will be all over my opinions, but that's my $.02.

I greatly appreciate the time you take to put in your $.02. You give me plenty to think about.

I noticed this the other day in my search: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11659644&whse=BC&Ne=5000000%204000000&eCat=BC|90607|83&N=4047256%205000108&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1?=en-US&topnav=

What do you think about those lenses and the kit? Worth it, or should I buy body only then start from scratch?

• Members

I greatly appreciate the time you take to put in your $.02. You give me plenty to think about.

I noticed this the other day in my search:

What do you think about those lenses and the kit? Worth it, or should I buy body only then start from scratch?

I'd say the Nikkor 18-55 VR is the best quality kit lens of any brand right now

And I sold a 55-300 to my brother and he loves it,it's a slightly slower to focus lens than my old 70-210 (a GREAT lens btw nikon guys) but it's really sharp for the money

Archived