The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Members

I got that 45mm (90mm equiv) f1.8 for my GF1. it's pretty rad!

6594893475_f4427713af_o.jpg

already have the 20mm pancake. all I need now is a wide angle. either the 14mm (28) f2.5 pancake which I could easily get for $200 as soon as next month, OR splurge, wait a few more months and get the 12mm (24) f2! I've always been a fan of 24mm! but...... $800
:freak:
decisions decisions....

Oh, I'm kinda envious! I love my D40, and am anxious to move up to one of it's big brothers (thinking D7000, or whatever its equivalent will be at buying time), but that's no pocket camera. I would LOVE to have something that I could just slip into an overcoat and not think twice about. A 4/3 w/ a fast pancake sounds just about right.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can get your own scanner (not too expensive) or even use your own all-in-one printer (if you have one) if you don't want to spend the additional money and need instant gratification. There are numerous high quality on-line services as well. Just pop your film in the mail, get it back a few days later fully developed with a disc full of high res scans. That's what I do. Larger camera stores usually have that ability as well.

Photoshop Elements (I think they're at version 9) is the best overall software deal for digital photo processing. Aperture if you are a Mac person. Both have everything a non-pro would need, including black and white conversions etc. and guided editing modules to get you started. If you want to get fancy with HDR photos (all the rage these days), then you need separate software for that, but it's certainly not necessary.

Almost didn't see your post, again very helpful thanks. So much to digest here. I'm a PC person. Although my 10 year old has basically stolen my home computer. Time for another laptop for dad I guess. Seems like all my cool gear gets absconded by my kids. Little fockers. I guess I should check out Photoshop, never used it before, but I would guess it isn't too hard to figure out.

• Members
add to this pile a 50mm f1.2 and 24mm f2, and that's my 35mm setup

5456622691_3b3968a828_b.jpg

I also use the Pentacon Six on the right, with 80mm zeiss sonnar f2.8 lens

6145784926_16ca6c6839_z.jpg

Bronica SQA which I'll sell, dont use anymore now that I have the P6. the Bronica has more "feautures" but the P6's shutter can go one stop faster, and the zeiss lens is far nicer than the Bronica's!

6036643205_e6b59018a7_z.jpg

Panasonic GF1 on the right with the 20mm f1.7 pancake. I also use adapters to attach c-mount lenses and my minolta lenses.

4822441872_93cf8e39ba_z.jpg

Yashica Electro 35. no real manual mode, just aperture priority, pics are so sharp! leaf shutters FTW!

5141814326_9499e1163f_z.jpg

also have a Canon 350D, but it's on permanent loan for my gf, who uses it for her blog.

eos350d.jpg

Unsurprising considering the grown-assed-man pedalboard you navigate. Sick rig man.

• Members

man, too much camera stuff I want. I want a better digital, like the 5D mkII (though I'm waiting to see if they announce a mkIII) or another full frame digital (Red Scarlet!), a good 35mm fully mechanical (no electronics to worry about), currently trying to figure out what to get. a better medium format like a hassleblad or bronica, a minox b (I bought one but it got lost in the mail and a classic Polaroid sx70. not to mention lenses and hopefully adapters so I can reuse them on my various cameras.

the Sony NEX-7 is looking really tempting too. if the preorder wasn't "out of stock" yesterday there was a good chance I would have pulled the trigger.

• Members

Nikon D700

- Nikkor 16-35 f/4.0 G

- Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 G

- Nikkor 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 G

- Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D

- Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (D)

- Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (D and G models)

- Nikkor 60m f/2.8 Macro

- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 (D)

- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Macro VCI G

- Nikkor 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 G VCII) (walkaround)

- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

- Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Nikon D7000

- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

- Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6)(walkaround)

- Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

- Tamron 28-270mm f/3.5 - 6.0)

- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

- Tamron 17-35 f/2.8

Nikon D90

Nikon F4 and F100 (w/ any of the full frame lenses)

Canon G11

Canon S95

Noice!

• Members

For that much money I would jsut get a micro four thirds camera. Bigger sensor

Larry was mentioning that too. Not sure I understand what a micro 4/3 option is. Or what good models are in a price range close to this.

• Members

Nikon D700

Nikon D90

Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8

Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8

Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 D

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G

Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 macro

All you need is the 14-24mm f/2.8 and you've got the Holy Grail. :)

Seriously though, if you do need something wider for the D700, you can't beat the 16-35 f/4.0 for about 1/3 the cost of the 14-24. Seriously sharp, edge to edge.

• Members

Oh, I'm kinda envious! I love my D40, and am anxious to move up to one of it's big brothers (thinking D7000, or whatever its equivalent will be at buying time), but that's no pocket camera. I would LOVE to have something that I could just slip into an overcoat and not think twice about. A 4/3 w/ a fast pancake sounds just about right.

Check out the Fuji X-100, full APSC sensor, built in Fujinon 35mm (50mm equivalent), hybrid optical/EV viewfinder that supposed to be fantastic, pocketable (jackets only), the rave and fave camera of the moment. $1,100 though and fixed lens, although it's supposed to be tack sharp. Little brother the X-10 just came out, CMOS sensor but supposed to be pretty good. Great street camera.

• Members

Yeah...we're actually eyeing a 35mm f/1.4 also. What is the deal with the 14-24...why do you like it?

I don't use one. It's a boat anchor that won't take filters. It has a huge front element which is like millimeters from end of the casing. I shoot with the 16-35mm f/4.0 instead, which is a great lens. Hardcore Nikon shooters just crave the Holy Grail, that's all. I don't need one at $2,300. Pro architectural shooters and landscaper shooters swear by them however because it is crazy sharp even wide open, and many pro Canon shooters have Nikon F adapters just to shoot with one because Canon has nothing close.

I'm actually looking at the newish 24mm f/2.8G. Supposed to be fantastic, although I already have a 24mm D series which I like, although I currently have to shoot with my 24-70 f/2.8 to get to 35mm (unless of course, I'm using my new walkaround 28-300 f/3.5-5.6G :)).

But I love primes, and the 24mm is supposed to be fantastic.

• Members

I'm a Canon Shooter who uses Nikon :wave:

Currently waiting for the Series E 135 2.8 to arrive.

I now need the 100mm 2.8 and I'll have the entire set of Series E stuff

Any of you Nikon guys have older primes you're trying to sell?

I'm thinking of moving some guitar stuff and finding older Nikkors, 35 1.4 and 85 1.4

• Members

doesn't make the camera not good, and even still Panasonic also makes gear for micro four thirds so it's not like the system is gonna die.

I'm not saying that they aren't. I think there are better choices on the market right now, from a technical and photography point of view.

• Members

doesn't make the camera not good, and even still Panasonic also makes gear for micro four thirds so it's not like the system is gonna die.

Does Panasonic then make most of the micro 4/3 cameras then? Is this a good one, and then lens that comes with it?http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-G2-Interchangeable-14-42mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003AOAXKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325188807&sr=1-1

Starting to push my price a little bit but maybe it's worth it.

• Members
I bet the Fuji stuff is gonna be rad. I didn't want to wait, and Micro Four Thirds already has a good lens selection so I got an Olympus E-PM1.

Nice! That Olympus is dynamite in a small package at a bargain price. It would be great if Olympus either released some high quality lenses or some inexpensive kooky lenses. With Olympus you always have the Panasonic lenses available to you if they go bankrupt.

The Panasonic X1 looks like a serious contender but I'm not into the design philosophy of their new higher-end X series lenses, so far. It is like they are bound to make the same mistakes dumbing down their lenses as they did with their bodies. Maybe it will take a little longer getting everything back on track or maybe they just got things right once early on. APS-C could be the new M4/3 and M4/3 could be the new 8-track casette?

I agree that the Fuji gear could be really awesome as they will likely get everything just right. Fewer choices and expensive but exactly what most consumers in this segment want if they are looking at this level of gear to begin with. Why bother getting in if only to end up with a small sensor and mediocre lenses?

Which brings up Sony. Larger sensor, as Fuji will likely have, but with some lower priced albeit not exactly stellar lenses. However, due to their success with the line there is slightly less of a risk with Sony that they will abandon this format than there is with Fuji. Except that Sony has done this very thing in the past. What I am most hoping to see announced at PMA next month is that Sony will be offering a decent range of prosumer E-mount lenses.

I'm thinking Sony may have overshot on the megapixels with the new X7. The Sony 5XN will be the bargain that already has some of the benefits of the new flagship model, is improved based a couple previous iteration, but is just old enough to be going down in price. Hoping just a little bit lower still.

If I see an open box return without a big fingerprint on the sensor I'll likely pull the trigger on a Sony NEX-5N. Maybe even get their macro and post some more actual gear shots in this thread. :p

• Members

Larry was mentioning that too. Not sure I understand what a micro 4/3 option is. Or what good models are in a price range close to this.

It uses a much larger sensor than the point and shoots, but much smaller than a DSLR. That means it captures more light with less noise and creates a better more contrasty image that doesn't need lots of in-camera computer crunching to make it look passable. The sensor has a four by three aspect ratio, which is why it is referred to a "micro" 4/3 system. DSLR sensors generally use a 3/2 aspect ratio. They are generally about $200 less than a basic DSLR, and offer interchangeable lenses, which is important to some, not so important to others. The m4/3 systems do not always use optical viewfinders and mirrors, opting for electronic viewfinders instead. They are generally smaller (both body and lens) than a DSLR. They sit between the compact and the DSLR, both in price and photo quality.

There is now a new genre known as "mirrorless" cameras, which also offer interchangeable lenses and are more compact than a m4/3 but a bit bulkier than a point and shoot or compact. These are exemplified by the Sony NEX series, which offers one model with a full APSC sensor. The new Nikon N1 and J1 are Nikons new entries into this market. The Lumix is another. Canon does not presently offer a mirrorless camera.

So, the ranking (from basic to most advanced would be)

1. Point and Shoots

2. Compacts (Canon G12, Nikon P7100)

3. Mirrorless w/ interchangeable lens systemns (Nikon J1 and N1, Sony NEX system)

4. m4/3 systems (Panasonic Lumix series is probably the best right now)

5. DSLR w/ APSC crop sensor (most Canon and Nikon DSLR's)

6. DSLR with full frame sensor (pro-quality cameras such as the Nikon D3s, D700, Canon 5d MkII or 1d)

The price goes up as you go down the list.

• Members

It uses a much larger sensor than the point and shoots, but much smaller than a DSLR. That means it captures more light with less noise and creates a better more contrasty image that doesn't need lots of in-camera computer crunching to make it look passable. The sensor has a four by three aspect ratio, which is why it is referred to a "micro" 4/3 system. DSLR sensors generally use a 3/2 aspect ratio. They are generally about $200 less than a basic DSLR, and offer interchangeable lenses, which is important to some, not so important to others. The m4/3 systems do not always use optical viewfinders and mirrors, opting for electronic viewfinders instead. They are generally smaller (both body and lens) than a DSLR. They sit between the compact and the DSLR, both in price and photo quality.

There is now a new genre known as "mirrorless" cameras, which also offer interchangeable lenses and are more compact than a m4/3 but a bit bulkier than a point and shoot or compact. These are exemplified by the Sony NEX series, which offers one model with a full APSC sensor. The new Nikon N1 and J1 are Nikons new entries into this market. The Lumix is another. Canon does not presently offer a mirrorless camera.

So, the ranking (from basic to most advanced would be)

1. Point and Shoots

2. Compacts (Canon G12, Nikon P7100)

3. Mirrorless w/ interchangeable lens systemns (Nikon J1 and N1, Sony NEX system)

4. m4/3 systems (Panasonic Lumix series is probably the best right now)

5. DSLR w/ APSC crop sensor (most Canon and Nikon DSLR's)

6. DSLR with full frame sensor (pro-quality cameras such as the Nikon D3s, D700, Canon 5d MkII or 1d)

The price goes up as you go down the list.

Thanks for that great summary, it's making more sense now. Lots of options for sure. I don't know much about option #3, the Panasonic Lumix m4/3 seem interesting to me. I have some research to do for sure.

• Members

really, m4/3 is also part of the Mirrorless interchangable category. they were the first. and overall the best of the category in my opinion at this time. the Nikon 1 series look neat but they have either a proprietary or no hot shoe and are sort of toys. the Pentax Q system is cute and probably well designed but has a super tiny sensor like a point and shoot and is overpriced. the Sony Nex system probably takes quality pictures but they have either no hot shoe or the silly Minolta style, and I hear the lenses arent too great. Not to mention I think that point of these cameras is to save size and weight, and while the Nex bodies are small and thin, the lenses are still quite large. The samsung cameras I think look neat, but its a small company and small lenses selection so who knows how it will pan out. m4/3 has both Olympus and Panasonic, and between them you have lots of body and lens choices.

• Members

the Nikon 1 series also has a small sensor. not Q-size but fairly small.

the advantage of a large sensor (4/3 and up) isn't just image quality, it's the amount of depth of field (bokeh) one can apply to a photo. that's a nice bit of creative control you don't get much in small sensors unless you go for a long lens.

I'm not hating on Nikon at all, they make some of the best DSLRs, if not THE best, but to me the pentax Q series makes more sense than the Nikon 1. at least with the Q, it's tiny and the lenses cost peanuts (relative). the Nikon 1 isn't really that much smaller or cheaper than a m4/3 (in fact I think it's more expensive), but without the main advantage such large and expensive cameras usually bring. namely, the large sensor.

I think they'll sell fairly well. Nikon's marketing muscle and all.

Archived