• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i don't have many pics of my photo gear...for obvious reasons

i shoot a canon 5d classic

50mm 1.4
135 f2L
24-105 f4L

i have two alien bees B800 strobes and a chinese knockoff of a canon hotshoe flash.

i also have a 22" beauty dish and an umbrella.

and a really cool old manfrotto tripod that my grandpa gave me. he used to be a military photographer in vietnam and korea.

• Members

I'd like to get more into photography for 2012. Just a simpler ps Canon right now, and although I know high end Canon/Nikon DSLR are the way to go, I'm not quite ready to take the plunge, both because of the $ involved, and the more complicated they are, the less I might use it. So with that in mind, I kind of want something middle of the road. I was checking out this Canon G12.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12

The reviews from Canon's site and Best Buy are really good.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+G12+10.0-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/1218396.p?id=1218237707721&skuId=1218396&st=canon%20g12&cp=1&lp=1#tabbed-customerreviews

Also, this might not cost me anything, as I have hotel reward points I can cash in soon to purchase this.

So, this seems like a good overall compromise to fairly high quality pictures and even video (which would be cool, but not essential), without going the total DSLR at this point. Maybe I would go that route in a couple of years if I stick with it.

Pros and cons?

• Members

I'd like to get more into photography for 2012. Just a simpler ps Canon right now, and although I know high end Canon/Nikon DSLR are the way to go, I'm not quite ready to take the plunge, both because of the $ involved, and the more complicated they are, the less I might use it. So with that in mind, I kind of want something middle of the road. I was checking out this Canon G12.

The reviews from Canon's site and Best Buy are really good.

Also, this might not cost me anything, as I have hotel reward points I can cash in soon to purchase this.

So, this seems like a good overall compromise to fairly high quality pictures and even video (which would be cool, but not essential), without going the total DSLR at this point. Maybe I would go that route in a couple of years if I stick with it.

Pros and cons?

To be honest, I would get the Canon S95 over the G12. It's about $100 less, has the exact same sensor as the G12, has a faster lens (f/2.0 vs. f/2.8 for the G12), fits in a shirt pocket, has HDR if you want it and is generally a better buy. If you want to move up the food chain, consider one of the m4/3 systems.

• Members

To be honest, I would get the Canon S95 over the G12. It's about $100 less, has the exact same sensor as the G12, has a faster lens (f/2.0 vs. f/2.8 for the G12), fits in a shirt pocket, has HDR if you want it and is generally a better buy. If you want to move up the food chain, consider one of the m4/3 systems.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that one too. I feel very overwhelmed when it comes to camera terminology and features/specs. I know very little apparently...

• Members

Thanks, I'll take a look at that one too. I feel very overwhelmed when it comes to camera terminology and features/specs. I know very little apparently...

It's a matter of marketing too. The G12 is really an S95 wrapped in a fancier package. However, the G12 does have features that appeal to the enthusiast, such as manual control of shooting parameters via dials on the top of the camera that can seem daunting to an beginner or novice. So it depends on how you intend to use it, or have any aspirations to become a better photographer. If you want a great point and shoot, the S95 is basically the best on the planet. If you want to explore photograph a bit more, the G12 offers some interesting options that might "grow" you into a more complicated camera. For example, it would be easier to transition from a G12 to an m4/3 or full DSLR system than it would from an S95.

• Members

The Nikon P7000 also seems like a good one:

Ich. Nikon has never really produced a great point and shoot. The P7000 is Nikon's answer to the Canon G12, and the Canon is just a much better camera. FWIW, I shoot Nikon DSLR's and have for many years, but I use Canon point and shoots exclusively (I have both a G11 and an S95), because they are superior to the Nikon versions.

• Members

Ich. Nikon has never really produced a great point and shoot. The P7000 is Nikon's answer to the Canon G12, and the Canon is just a much better camera. FWIW, I shoot Nikon DSLR's and have for many years, but I use Canon point and shoots exclusively (I have both a G11 and an S95), because they are superior to the Nikon versions.

Thanks, I'm reading as many reviews as I can on both companies. I think I would rather have the G12 over the s95 just for those added features. The $75 savings isn't that big of deal to me, and as you mentioned, it's a good growth camera to then venture into the full size DSLR. I still have an old film Nikon 35mm, a N-50 I think it is. Hasn't been used in years.

Noob question, but can the Canon G12/S95 or the SX40hs, can they do black and white photos too? I can't seem to do that on my current Canon p&S, just not sure if all cameras can do this, or if this is something higher end cameras only can do.

• Members

How about the Canon SX40HS? Seems pretty good too, more robust/feature laden than the smaller point and shoots.

Still under $400 too.

That is what is known as a "bridge" camera, that is, it is a bridge between point & shoots/compacts to m4/3, the new "mirrorless" systems, and the DSLR systems. For me, they are nice, as are all the Canon products, but neither fish nor fowl. For a few bucks more, you can get a nice m4/3 system (larger sensor than a DSLR with interchangeable lenses) or even a beginner level Nikon D3100 (which is an outstanding camera and not much bigger).

Again, it depends on what you're going to use it for. If you are just interested in family shots, vacation shots etc. the point and shoots can pop into a shirt pocket. That Canon cannot. If you are interested in learning about photography and want a better camera, you need to get out of the Powershot level and move up.

• Members

Noob question, but can the Canon G12/S95 or the SX40hs, can they do black and white photos too? I can't seem to do that on my current Canon p&S, just not sure if all cameras can do this, or if this is something higher end cameras only can do.

I'm not familiar with those cameras, but just about any photography software should be able to do that for you. Is there a reason that you want to be able to do it in-camera?

• Members

Thanks, I'm reading as many reviews as I can on both companies. I think I would rather have the G12 over the s95 just for those added features. The $75 savings isn't that big of deal to me, and as you mentioned, it's a good growth camera to then venture into the full size DSLR. I still have an old film Nikon 35mm, a N-50 I think it is. Hasn't been used in years.

Both have pretty good B&W filters, as well as a number of useful and more "fun" filters as well. Both take good, saturated black and white shots.

Don't give up your film camera. I still shoot with my Nikon F4 (state of the art in 1992) and Nikon F100 all the time. Shoot outdoors with Fuji Velvia 50 (not for portraits though; use Velvia 100) and then get high resolution scans of your color transparency. You'll wind up with a digital photo that has greater resolution than any DSLR can produce, and saturated colors that are unbelievable.

• Members

That is what is known as a "bridge" camera, that is, it is a bridge between point & shoots/compacts to m4/3, the new "mirrorless" systems, and the DSLR systems. For me, they are nice, as are all the Canon products, but neither fish nor fowl. For a few bucks more, you can get a nice m4/3 system (larger sensor than a DSLR with interchangeable lenses) or even a beginner level Nikon D3100 (which is an outstanding camera and not much bigger).

Again, it depends on what you're going to use it for. If you are just interested in family shots, vacation shots etc. the point and shoots can pop into a shirt pocket. That Canon cannot. If you are interested in learning about photography and want a better camera, you need to get out of the Powershot level and move up.

Hmm, thanks again. Yeah, i think bridge camera is the right word here, that's what it seems like. It is though, about $200 cheaper than a Nikon D3100. I think $400 or so, is about my limit for a new camera. In a year or two, if I find I really enjoy this hobby, I'd have no problem spending the money, and the Canon SX40 or the G12 could easily be a nice hand-me down to one of my kids or the wife.

The size isn't an issue either. I really want it more for "art like" pictures, some close ups, some stuff more distanced. And maybe the occasionally pedal video demo. Black and white stuff would be nice too. Good quality pictures is what I'm most after. I don't expect perfection at this price point, but quality should be a given. And I don't want something so overly complicated that I will give up too quickly.

• Members

I'm not familiar with those cameras, but just about any photography software should be able to do that for you. Is there a reason that you want to be able to do it in-camera?

I don't have a good photo software program to do anything at the moment. What should I use?

• Members

Both have pretty good B&W filters, as well as a number of useful and more "fun" filters as well. Both take good, saturated black and white shots.

Don't give up your film camera. I still shoot with my Nikon F4 (state of the art in 1992) and Nikon F100 all the time. Shoot outdoors with Fuji Velvia 50 (not for portraits though; use Velvia 100) and then get high resolution scans of your color transparency. You'll wind up with a digital photo that has greater resolution than any DSLR can produce, and saturated colors that are unbelievable.

Yet another noob question, how do I scan film photos to digital? Any particular scanner I should get? Software I need? {censored} I know nothing. Kinda feels like the first day I stumbled into this forum, and realized I knew nothing about effects. At least I know a little about effects now. Time to tackle photography I guess :D Should only take me abother 5 years or so.

• Members

Hmm, thanks again. Yeah, i think bridge camera is the right word here, that's what it seems like. It is though, about $200 cheaper than a Nikon D3100. I think $400 or so, is about my limit for a new camera. In a year or two, if I find I really enjoy this hobby, I'd have no problem spending the money, and the Canon SX40 or the G12 could easily be a nice hand-me down to one of my kids or the wife.

The size isn't an issue either. I really want it more for "art like" pictures, some close ups, some stuff more distanced. And maybe the occasionally pedal video demo. Black and white stuff would be nice too. Good quality pictures is what I'm most after. I don't expect perfection at this price point, but quality should be a given. And I don't want something so overly complicated that I will give up too quickly.

I recommended the S95 to Great Dane over in the electric guitar forum. He was taking really nice shots of his (unbelievable) guitar collection, but the shots were muddy with no contrast because he was using a really old point and shoot. After he got the S95, his photos improved dramatically. The S95 has a really great sensor (it's just a bit bigger than the normal point and shoot) and is nicely limited to 10mp, which gives clean shots with that great Canon color saturation. Don't be fooled by mega pixel count. Cramming 14 or 16mp on a point and shoot means you can't really use it above 200 ISO or so without getting crummy noisy shots so it's useless in low light situations. You can get a great shot at ISO 800 without flash with the S95.

• Members

Yet another noob question, how do I scan film photos to digital? Any particular scanner I should get? Software I need? {censored} I know nothing. Kinda feels like the first day I stumbled into this forum, and realized I knew nothing about effects. At least I know a little about effects now. Time to tackle photography I guess
:D
Should only take me abother 5 years or so.

You can get your own scanner (not too expensive) or even use your own all-in-one printer (if you have one) if you don't want to spend the additional money and need instant gratification. There are numerous high quality on-line services as well. Just pop your film in the mail, get it back a few days later fully developed with a disc full of high res scans. That's what I do. Larger camera stores usually have that ability as well.

Photoshop Elements (I think they're at version 9) is the best overall software deal for digital photo processing. Aperture if you are a Mac person. Both have everything a non-pro would need, including black and white conversions etc. and guided editing modules to get you started. If you want to get fancy with HDR photos (all the rage these days), then you need separate software for that, but it's certainly not necessary.

• Members

I got that 45mm (90mm equiv) f1.8 for my GF1. it's pretty rad!

6594893475_f4427713af_o.jpg

already have the 20mm pancake. all I need now is a wide angle. either the 14mm (28) f2.5 pancake which I could easily get for $200 as soon as next month, OR splurge, wait a few more months and get the 12mm (24) f2! I've always been a fan of 24mm! but...... $800 :freak:
decisions decisions....

• Members
Yet another noob question, how do I scan film photos to digital? Any particular scanner I should get? Software I need? {censored} I know nothing. Kinda feels like the first day I stumbled into this forum, and realized I knew nothing about effects. At least I know a little about effects now. Time to tackle photography I guess
:D
Should only take me abother 5 years or so.

you planning on scanning film directly, or prints? I reccomend scanning film directly. Epson make an okay film scanner for like $120. the V300 or whatever. the included scanning software will suffice (though you will be limited in options).

I'll post more in depth later. when I'm not out the door....

• Members
I got that 45mm (90mm equiv) f1.8 for my GF1. it's pretty rad!

6594893475_f4427713af_o.jpg

already have the 20mm pancake. all I need now is a wide angle. either the 14mm (28) f2.5 pancake which I could easily get for $200 as soon as next month, OR splurge, wait a few more months and get the 12mm (24) f2! I've always been a fan of 24mm! but...... $800
:freak:
decisions decisions....

Go for the 14!! at least for now.

What mounts can you adapt to the 4/3's?

m42? Nikon F?

• Members

you planning on scanning film directly, or prints? I reccomend scanning film directly. Epson make an okay film scanner for like $120. the V300 or whatever. the included scanning software will suffice (though you will be limited in options).

I'll post more in depth later. when I'm not out the door....

I don't know. I haven't used my film camera in forever. I have maybe 5-6 rolls that I never developed of stuff. Not even sure who does film developing anymore, as I don't have a dark room or any of that. I think for now, I'll concentrate more on digital pics, but eventually I'd like to get back into regular film as well.

Archived