The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I shoot in raw all the time. I like to do my own processing in Lightroom and Photoshop afterwards instead of letting the camera do what it thinks is right. Not every shot requires the same settings and since I'm not changing the sharpness, contrast, etc. every time the light or conditions change I just shoot raw.

I prefer to get the picture right on a big computer screen than try to figure out if it looks good on a two inch LCD on the back of the camera. And remember you can always save a raw file as a jpeg to put it on the web or whatever, and you can't edit a jpeg as easily as a raw. I just see no reason to shoot as a jpeg unless you're worried about file sizes, but storage is pretty cheap these days.

Of course, if i'm just taking a shot of something to put it on ebay I'll shoot it as a small jpeg.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Question about technique: When you've got a super bright background and you're taking a portrait how do you go about getting the camera to balance the light and not end up with a silhouette?

Either force the flash on, or set the metering to centre weighted spot metering.

• Members
Thanks, will give this a shot
:thu:

Another tip would be to meter for a neutral area (somewhere between the two contrasts; many times the subjects face will provide a neutral area for metering). That might help too. Use flash if available, or else the face will be in shadow no matter how you meter it.

• Members

im glad to see this thread is healthy and thriving!

im still really working my canon ae-1. as much as i want to i really cant fault it. ive been doing a lot of experimenting with depth of field with my tamron telephoto too and its so much fun. im really glad i got a whole bunch of neopan before they discontinued it.

• Members
im glad to see this thread is healthy and thriving!

im still really working my canon ae-1. as much as i want to i really cant fault it. ive been doing a lot of experimenting with depth of field with my tamron telephoto too and its so much fun. im really glad i got a whole bunch of neopan before they discontinued it.

I love my Canon AE-1. :love:

My first "real" camera. :)

Still takes a great picture and still works flawlessly after 35 years. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

new lens! the zeiss sonnar 180mm f2.8 for my P6.
stuck the 35mm minolta next to it to show what a beast that lens is. :lol:
already gone through two rolls for a lens tryout (P6 uses 120 film). provia 400 and ektar 100. scanner is missing its adapter though so I have to wait for results.

from what I've seen/heard, the bokeh on this thing is out of this world!

7571538460_e88e3fefb1_b.jpg

• Members

So I've decided to finally go ahead and get the Lumix GH2. However, I'm a lens n00b and I have no idea what to look for in a kit. I've heard good things about the 14-140mm one, but I've found it's actually cheaper to go on B&H and get the lens kit with the 14-42mm and add the 45-200mm lens.

Seems like Leica is designing all of Panasonic's 4/3 lenses so they should be pretty good, but I always worry that this is one of those things where I should be saving up money for a bunch of really specialized lenses or primes instead of getting cheaper stuff with more range.

• Members

Seems like Leica is designing all of Panasonic's 4/3 lenses so they should be pretty good, but I always worry that this is one of those things where I should be saving up money for a bunch of really specialized lenses or primes instead of getting cheaper stuff with more range.

Can't really go wrong with either Panasonic's or Olympus' 4/3 lenses, really! Especially if you're into primes and not zooms.

• Members

So I've decided to finally go ahead and get the Lumix GH2. However, I'm a lens n00b and I have no idea what to look for in a kit. I've heard good things about the 14-140mm one, but I've found it's actually cheaper to go on B&H and get the lens kit with the 14-42mm and add the 45-200mm lens.

I got the GF2, it came with a kit 14-42 plus the 14mm lens. The camera has the 14mm on an 80% of the time, and it's the family camera. It's just so fast and compact makes the zoom feel chunky and really slow on anything that is not daylight. If I could choose again, I would get the 20mm F1.7, which would give a more natural 40mm perspective and a glorious f1.7!

• Members

I got the GF2, it came with a kit 14-42 plus the 14mm lens. The camera has the 14mm on an 80% of the time, and it's the family camera. It's just so fast and compact makes the zoom feel chunky and really slow on anything that is not daylight. If I could choose again, I would get the 20mm F1.7, which would give a more natural 40mm perspective and a glorious f1.7!

I have the 20mm 1.7, I love it!

consider the 45mm f1.8 as a portrait lens, it's absolutely glorious for the price! favorite m4/3 lens by far.

• Members

Congrats on a great catch. The Sonnar 180 has fast become my favorite lens. Makes me consider picking up a P6 body and a TTL prism!

new lens! the zeiss sonnar 180mm f2.8 for my P6.

stuck the 35mm minolta next to it to show what a beast that lens is.
:lol:
already gone through two rolls for a lens tryout (P6 uses 120 film). provia 400 and ektar 100. scanner is missing its adapter though so I have to wait for results.

from what I've seen/heard, the bokeh on this thing is out of this world!

7571538460_e88e3fefb1_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived