A fuzz that cuts through the mix live?

MarkofCainband

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even most of the muffs with mid controls like the Supercollider and Musket didn't really cut thru that great in my experience. The Barber Trifecta is one of the best muffs I've tried in a band setting.

But no fuzz pedal I've tried comes close to the Dimarzio Very Metal fuzz which just dominates in a mix

Works really well for me, but I have the mids on that and the amp up high and I'm the only guitarist. Still sounds huge though

• Members

this is relevant to my interest..

i'm not sure on how you want the fuzz in the mix but pushing a regular big muff with an ocd gives me great results..

btw. im contemplating about getting the hoof, i can see everyone here likes it. and also the musket.

• Members

Are you the only guitarist in your band?

There are a few things you can do. These are all things that I learned from Whores. so you know it's facts.

1. Run the volume of your fuzzes over unity

2. Use a boost before or after

3. Moar midz on your amp

These things are enough for a green muff to destroy and dominate a really, really loud drummer and bassist. For serious, mang.

• Members

I've definitely had problems cutting through live with the few fuzzes I've tried. I haven't messed with fuzz in a long time, but just got the bug again and nabbed a Swollen Pickle reissue. Haven't gigged it yet, but the range of sounds in it is pretty silly. I'm thinking that somewhere in there will be a sound that I dig that cuts through.

One fuzz I had that definitely did cut through was the Fuzz Factory. It was a pain in the ass, though. Too fussy about them knobules. But if you like that sound it'll work fine.

Archived