Band Meeting

Ryan.

• Members

That scary pair of words, to be honest I was expecting worse (ie splitting up, not worse with the illness, mojo).

Can't you just rent it out to some other band for a few months? That way you guys can still drop by at a certain time to keep things fresh.

Otherwise, do you have material you like? Spend the time rehearsing that stuff without vocals - yeah it's weird at first, but you learn a lot, and get a {censored} load tighter. Restricting what you play forces you to improve. Another 3 months to reassess isn't a lot of time to pass by, but you could learn a lot with it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The studio and the singer aren't really the major issues. The studio we can get back no problem whenever we are ready. The singer is a good singer (Melx hates him) and WANTS to sing badly, but cannot.

The main issue is that we'll stop playing for a few months and then totally get out of the music game because of lazy.

We've been together for like 5 years now, so the chemistry is good, the amount of work ethic is good, the amount and type of beer is good. It is a great thing when we are all healthy.

I do not have the patience to start up a band with egotistical dickfaced assholes like myself, where the bassist thinks we should do death metal and the drummer is constantly playing fills, and the singer brings his girlfriend to practice...

I just want to live in the future where the singer goes in for a microwave surgery and is better in two weeks. :love:

• Members
That scary pair of words, to be honest I was expecting worse (ie splitting up, not worse with the illness, mojo).

Can't you just rent it out to some other band for a few months? That way you guys can still drop by at a certain time to keep things fresh.

Otherwise, do you have material you like? Spend the time rehearsing that stuff without vocals - yeah it's weird at first, but you learn a lot, and get a {censored} load tighter. Restricting what you play forces you to improve. Another 3 months to reassess isn't a lot of time to pass by, but you could learn a lot with it.

I think the solution might be to move all the gear to my pad and do one on one recordings with each member until the singer is healthy. :thu:

• Members

If a few months is all it takes to stop you from playing all together, sell your gear now. It doesn't seem to me from your words it means all that much to you.

You've got a point. I could sell my gear and take a nice hawaiian vacation. It IS a lot of fun and I love it. But I'm one of those guys that is mediocre at lots of things, instead of really good at one thing.

I can do a backflip wakeboarding, 360 snowboarding, juggle while riding my unicycle, beat you at CODMW3, make awesome sauce, cook like Elzar, and play powerchords. I cannot play the solo in Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd though.

• Members

find a new singer.

That would be my choice too...

To expand on that as well, get a new singer, keep the space, develop a new band name, write tunes with a slightly different feel. See if that works for 6 months. If not... *boom*... all of you have kept your skills / work ethic / space, and you can take the old singer back on. OR - find out you like the new direction better and continue. Win / Win.

Our band is meeting up Thursday at the bassists house.

Dun dun dun...

Our singer has had health issues for about 3 months now and has it narrowed down to a hernia, plus other bad stuff. Drs say its probably 3-6 months more before he is healthy.

So right now we're shelling out $300 per month for our practice space that we're not writing or rehearsing in. Which is a total bummer.

I'm guessing what is going to come out of this meeting is that we shouldn't be paying for something we're not using. Which will mean a bit of a break for the band.

I'm worried that if we take 6 months off we will forget how much fun it is and never go back to it. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

CSB.

My suggestion would be to spend that time working on the instrumentals. Get the band TIGHT. Work on some new material too if you want (you can always tape band practice and let the singer hear it so he can think about / work on lyrics if he feels up to it), but I wouldn't let that time go by unproductively. If you spend it working on getting the rhythm section (gtr / bass / drums - any keys?) locked in, you'll only be the better for it as a band - MUCH better for it. Trust me... and thank me later. :):wave:

I dunno, it seems we find it hard to be creative without everyone there going all out.
:idk:

When we're gigging its usually like twice a month. So when we stopped gigging because our singer was ill, things slowed down. Now its hard to find the energy to show up.

Would it be weird to take a 6 month break, and then come back as a different band with the same members? Cause I've been looking for a reason to get rid of this {censored}ty band name.

You can change the name any time you want to. You don't "need" new members or an extended hiatus.

After reading the entire thread, I'd still recommend working the instrumentals. I can think of very few bands that wouldn't benefit from doing that - even some very good bands.

• Members
Update:

So we all met up last night and had a good chat. It went surprisingly well.

Everyone re-commited to making music an we all sound like we WANT TO STAY A BAND.

The singer has his surgery scheduled for a lot sooner than we thought he would, which could mean best case a March recovery. (Praise the Lord.)

The bassist and drummer are finally getting set schedules with their jobs which is gonna make meeting up a lot easier.

And we are keeping the space (since we just paid for Feb).

So somehow the music gods have shown us some love. :love:

Oh and we're going to change our name.

Archived