OT: I HAD DRINKS LAST NITE

RoboPimp

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

even though tipping isn't part of the culture here in Trinidad I will leave one if the service is good... I always feel awkward when I'm the US about leaving tips... just because it's expected... to me tips have to be earned... and you earn them by doing more than just your job.. anyone can bring me food or a drink... so... be nice...have manners.... be knowledgeable on the items on the menu etc... 9/10 times I have no reservations about leaving tips.. but there's always that guy/girl that I just refuse to leave one for...

• Members
It does feel good when someone is courteous and appreciative and acknowleges that you're doing a good job. In the U.S. tipping is part of our culture. When I've traveled abroad in European countries I noticed that tipping is not nearly as prevalent in some countries like Spain or France but then again it my take you around an hour and a half to get your meal and the service is horrible in comparison to that in the U.S. where you'll probably get your food within 20 mins of ordering it.

LOL Everywhere i eat in Paris, food arrives in less than 20 minutes unless it's really really crowded on a saturday night and I always tip, even for a simple coffee at the counter... :facepalm:

• Members
It takes them an hour and a half to cook your food because it doesn't come out of a deep fat fryer
:idea:

the same thing is true at a nicer restaurants in the US where nothing is fried, all fresh ingredients. im unaware of other countries taking longer to serve food, though. i dont travel very much.

• Members
It does feel good when someone is courteous and appreciative and acknowleges that you're doing a good job. In the U.S. tipping is part of our culture. When I've traveled abroad in European countries I noticed that tipping is not nearly as prevalent in some countries like Spain or France but then again it my take you around an hour and a half to get your meal and the service is horrible in comparison to that in the U.S. where you'll probably get your food within 20 mins of ordering it.

umm, i've traveled around europe several times, can't say ive had particularly bad service anywhere. people are quite friendly and do their job. maybe its just because youre american :p

if anything the worst part is having to TIP just so i can stick MY tip in the urinal and take a leak. now thats annoying. free bathrooms in North America ftw.

• Members

the same thing is true at a nicer restaurants in the US where nothing is fried, all fresh ingredients. im unaware of other countries taking longer to serve food, though. i dont travel very much.

I mean if it's really busy it wouldn't be entirely unheard of to have mains come 90 mins after you've ordered if you had starters as well, although you'd probably get an apology with it. I can only remember one time in my entire life I had to wait that long though.

• Members
:confused:
countries like Spain or France but then again it my take you around an hour and a half to get your meal and the service is horrible in comparison to that in the U.S. where you'll probably get your food within 20 mins of ordering it.

In a lot of Euro countries eating a meal is supposed to be a long drawn out affair with quality as the priority, theres no problem waiting for great food with good company and a few nice drinks.
Also service in the US can be quite hard for outsiders to deal with, the kind of I must smile or I will lose my job thing gets a bit much. That said the service (and food) Ive had in some American restaurants has been brilliant. So in conclusion :confused:

• Members

:freak:

Seems monstrously unfair. Is this basically a dodge so that no tax comes out of the employer's pocket?

Also I would have thought tips are a private donation, out of the reach of the taxman.

How do businesses stick their grasping mitts between the staff & tips? By forcing the issue as an obligatory 'service charge' on the bill, so the cash-to-server-to-pocket system never gets a chance?

The bartenders or servers never fail to make minimum wage. They either get tips or, if no one tips, the company is required to pay them however much it costs to get their pay up to minimum wage.

Tipping really isn't that big of a deal; the collective Non-American eye roll over "OH GOD I HAVE TO ACTUALLY GIVE YOU 10% MORE THAN WHAT'S LISTED" is overblown. I know servers that make a huge amount of money from tipping. At least it's good that some of your money is actually going to human beings. No one ever said you had to tip, anyways.

• Members

The bartenders or servers never fail to make minimum wage. They either get tips or, if no one tips, the company is required to pay them however much it costs to get their pay up to minimum wage.

Tipping really isn't that big of a deal; the collective Non-American eye roll over "OH GOD I HAVE TO ACTUALLY GIVE YOU 10% MORE THAN WHAT'S LISTED" is overblown. I know servers that make a huge amount of money from tipping. At least it's good that some of your money is actually going to human beings. No one ever said you
had
to tip, anyways.

OK at least there's that safety net.

As for having to tip - it's expected isn't it? At least if you want to come back to the same place again and hope for good service/food not spat in?

Is it also bad etiquette if you receive poor service/attitude not to tip? I mean if the server acts like you're bothering them despite you being polite with your requests.

• Members

Tipping really isn't that big of a deal; the collective Non-American eye roll over "OH GOD I HAVE TO ACTUALLY GIVE YOU 10% MORE THAN WHAT'S LISTED" is overblown.
I know servers that make a huge amount of money from tipping. At least it's good that some of your money is actually going to human beings. No one ever said you
had
to tip, anyways.

....as is the American idea that all non-Americans view tipping as evil.

• Members

on the topic of tipping, what the {censored} is up with fast food joints having tip jars/automatically prompting for tips on debit machines? I've even seen that {censored} at a couple convenience stores... is that also seen in the US/outside vancouver?

no, I will not tip you for slapping together a $3 taco and dropping it in a bag. {censored} off.

• Members

on the topic of tipping, what the {censored} is up with fast food joints having tip jars/automatically prompting for tips on debit machines? I've even seen that {censored} at a couple convenience stores... is that also seen in the US/outside vancouver?

no, I will not tip you for slapping together a $3 taco and dropping it in a bag. {censored} off.

yep.

a few places near my previous home they really were awesome. i would tip them. there is a quiznos where the owner knew which 2 sammiches i typically order and would ask me which one i want, would ask how my wifes doing and {censored}, and would give me free stuff occasionally. i tipped that guy. that is not typical fast food service.

• Members

Tipping really isn't that big of a deal; the collective Non-American eye roll over "OH GOD I HAVE TO ACTUALLY GIVE YOU 10% MORE THAN WHAT'S LISTED" is overblown. I know servers that make a huge amount of money from tipping. At least it's good that some of your money is actually going to human beings. No one ever said you
had
to tip, anyways.

Have you tried actually living on minimum wage recently? It's not possible with the cost of rent most places and gas and all that {censored}. At best you can eake out a pathetic existence, and don't even think about it if you've got kids.

Many people count on service jobs, particularly bartending, to make a decent living here. You can support kids, pay for school, save money, possibly even own a home. No one really gets rich or anything, but for a working class job, it can be pretty good. And the better jobs are ones you really have to work your way into. When you screw someone on a tip who gives you decent service, it's a spit in the face. You're knocking the time they spent with you down from a decent job to a {censored} minimum wage job. And sure, they may give you decent service again, but that would be 'cause they're good at their job and didn't let you get to them. But i think it takes a lot of audacity to short someone on a tip and then go back and expect decent service. And just 'cause they're smiling at you does't mean there's not spit in your food. Trust me on that one.

I'm not saying our tipping culture is the best, or even that good of a system. It's much better for people to just get paid a decent wage. But the reality is that it's what we have here right now and a lot of people are dependant on it and work hard to get those tips. And deciding that you're not going to tip isn't going to change that system. You're just going to {censored} people over, get weak drinks and get spit in your food.

On the other hand, i haven't found the service or food in europe to be objectionable at all. I've traveled there quite a bit. I don't mind making a longer thing of a meal, but mostly the food has seemed plenty fast. Servers have usually been great too. I usually tip anyway 'cause it's what i'm used to, but it is nice not to have much preasure about it.

• Members

As a bartender I say tip and tip well. I also live in southern California so I depend on tips to make a decent living.

Of course it goes both ways. If you get {censored} service or your bartender doesn't know what the {censored} they are talking about and messes up your order/good time then don't leave anything.

Waiters have it pretty bad, or worse than bartenders I should say. People who've never had a waiting job don't understand how much {censored} you have to take from so many people, all the while with a smile on your face. {censored} is frustrating.

You could also say that the cooks and dishwashers don't get tipped and they work just as hard if not harder. Trust me I know as I've had just about every job in the restaurant industry. But you they don't have to deal with assholes, and it does make a difference in pay grade.

As far as playing somewhere, that is such a grey area. I always tip because I rely on tips myself, whether I get free drinks from playing or not.

But I will say that when bands play at my spot I don't mind not getting tipped from them.

• Members

You could also say that the cooks and dishwashers don't get tipped and they work just as hard if not harder. Trust me I know as I've had just about every job in the restaurant industry. But you they don't have to deal with assholes, and it does make a difference in pay grade.

Have you ever met a stressed chef

• Members

I would not call myself a chef as I've not gone to school for it but I do run the kitchen. Yes its stressful and yes its hard work, but food doesn't treat you like it thinks its better than you.

I also get paid more than servers.

Lets just say I'd rather wash dishes and make as much money as a server does than serve.

• Members

Have you tried actually living on minimum wage recently? It's not possible with the cost of rent most places and gas and all that {censored}. At best you can eake out a pathetic existence, and don't even think about it if you've got kids.

Yeah, right now. I work a couple of jobs and one of them is a food service job where I get tipped. I'm not saying minimum wage is great, the only thing I'm saying is that employees that are paid $2/hr or whatever for a service job are actually guaranteed minimum wage should their tips not cover that gap.

Many people count on service jobs, particularly bartending, to make a decent living here. You can support kids, pay for school, save money, possibly even own a home. No one really gets rich or anything, but for a working class job, it can be pretty good. And the better jobs are ones you really have to work your way into. When you screw someone on a tip who gives you decent service, it's a spit in the face. You're knocking the time they spent with you down from a decent job to a {censored} minimum wage job. And sure, they may give you decent service again, but that would be 'cause they're good at their job and didn't let you get to them. But i think it takes a lot of audacity to short someone on a tip and then go back and expect decent service. And just 'cause they're smiling at you does't mean there's not spit in your food. Trust me on that one.

I've held down a couple of food service jobs. The msot extreme reaction that I've seen from a server not getting tipped is "{censored}ing guy didn't tip." I'm sorry, but I just can't hold in my heart that me not always tipping for my burrito at Rancho Bravo is like cutting against their will to live.

Weird. When I did dishwashing, they always divided the tips up to everyone in the place.

• Members

In the bigger picture, the idea that tipping is necessary to allow some workers to make a livable wage is more capitalistic bull{censored}. Instead, the minimum wage should be a living wage that is inclusive of people in service jobs. The idea that a customer should pay the person who carries their food across the room or pours them a drink should have to pay that person extra for that service is asinine. That given, I generally tip about 20%.

To put things in some context, downloading music for free, without any concern for seeing that the musicians get paid and have a livable income is status quo. The music often brings much more enjoyment than a drink or meal.

• Members

Sure, but in my experience, tipping puts me way over minimum wage. I'll clear about $25/hr at my job right now if I chat up all the drunks who want street meat. The key word here is my favorite business buzzword of all time--incentivization, but I haven't seen a case where someone doesn't benefit from getting tipped on top of a super {censored} hourly wage.

Also, tip your tattoo artists. Always. There is no question.

Archived