OT: I HAD DRINKS LAST NITE

RoboPimp

• Members

weekday gigs ugh

get home at 3am, get up at 5am :mad:

anyway I had several whiskeys throughout the evening and at the end I never tipped my bartenders. :cry:

some times I throw them a 10 spot, some times I forget - what is the proper etiquette? I mean I am working, but do I still tip like I am a customer?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It does feel good when someone is courteous and appreciative and acknowleges that you're doing a good job. In the U.S. tipping is part of our culture. When I've traveled abroad in European countries I noticed that tipping is not nearly as prevalent in some countries like Spain or France but then again it my take you around an hour and a half to get your meal and the service is horrible in comparison to that in the U.S. where you'll probably get your food within 20 mins of ordering it.

• Members

Epic, I thought of this scene when I saw your first post.

Anyway, tipping is also not frequently done in Belgium. One thing I do know is, if it's really busy you can try to tip the bartender when you get your first drink(s). That way you don't have to wait so long for the next order...

• Members

It does feel good when someone is courteous and appreciative and acknowleges that you're doing a good job. In the U.S. tipping is part of our culture. When I've traveled abroad in European countries I noticed that tipping is not nearly as prevalent in some countries like Spain or France but then again it my take you around an hour and a half to get your meal and the service is horrible in comparison to that in the U.S. where you'll probably get your food within 20 mins of ordering it.

I think the system of leaving tips when someone who's being paid a reasonable wage is actually good at what they do is surely better all round. The U.S. system kinda seems like employers exploiting staff to me. I usually do leave a tip as long as nothing went wrong with the meal, but it's probably gonna be 5% or so.

• Members
they pay them a less than minimum hourly wage so they can
tax their tips.
neat, huh?

:freak:

Seems monstrously unfair. Is this basically a dodge so that no tax comes out of the employer's pocket?
Also I would have thought tips are a private donation, out of the reach of the taxman.

How do businesses stick their grasping mitts between the staff & tips? By forcing the issue as an obligatory 'service charge' on the bill, so the cash-to-server-to-pocket system never gets a chance?

• Members

It takes them an hour and a half to cook your food because it doesn't come out of a deep fat fryer :idea:

• Members

It does feel good when someone is courteous and appreciative and acknowleges that you're doing a good job. In the U.S. tipping is part of our culture. When I've traveled abroad in European countries
I noticed that tipping is not nearly as prevalent in some countries like Spain or France but then again it my take you around an hour and a half to get your meal and the service is horrible in comparison to that in the U.S. where you'll probably get your food within 20 mins of ordering it.

{censored}ing bull{censored}.

• Members

Seems monstrously unfair. Is this basically a dodge so that no tax comes out of the employer's pocket?

Also I would have thought tips are a private donation, out of the reach of the taxman.

How do businesses stick their grasping mitts between the staff & tips? By forcing the issue as an obligatory 'service charge' on the bill, so the cash-to-server-to-pocket system never gets a chance?

In the UK, all tips are classified as income and therefore are subject to tax. Read this and learn about the idiotic system involving that cherished position of 'troncmaster'.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/WorkingAndPayingTax/DG_10026509

Yes it is that {censored}ing stupid.

• Members

I usually just drink beer. A lot of times I'll go up to the bar with a couple bucks in my hand and order a brew and when they give it to me its usually like "It's cool, your in the band," and wave me off, so I just throw down a buck and say thanks. It's a classy gesture. If I have to pay for it, I still at least give em a buck. Now if they were pouring me a mixed drink or whatever, then yea, no question, give em a tip.

• Members

you think that's bad? there are some restaurants that charge their servers a fee for every credit card transaction their tables run. it's actually a huge stream of revenue for places, and totally {censored}ing insane/unethical. I've never had to work in a restaurant and after learning how things run in the backend, I would never consider it. restaurateurs are assholes.

Archived