How To Spot An English Dude In America

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Are you implying Phil gets DUI's?

That's gotta be, by far, the number 1 budweiser related cause for legal council

:lol:
That put an image in my head of a fat mulleted yank driving his pickup truck while chugging a budweiser yelling "UMERICA HAS DU BEST BEER IN DA WURLLL!"

• Members

Well, you've got me dead to rights on that one - I can't stand the swill.

Once again, well played O'Keefe. If you play up your Irishness and play down your Americanism you may be able to escape the nut sucking completely.

• Members

Having just been to Oz i can say there are now a huge number of beer varieties. However as an Englishman who likes ale i still find 90% of the ones i tried very 'Australian' and not to my taste. By 'Australian' i mean generally mild in flavour and very, very fizzy. So if you like mass produced Aussie beers, but want something tastier and more interesting the micro-brewed stuff is all good. If you're looking for something more ale-like you'll have to look a bit harder. The inch of thick foam on the beer there seems to be revered, but i just can't handle that level of gas.

• Members

People who replace English with Brits because they're too {censored}ing stupid to know there's a difference can.......

People who correct people in the wrong direction due to a lack of cultural context can...

...be politely corrected. British is considered more inclusive and less presumptive, and many people with extended scottish and welsh heritage like me who were born in England identify primarily as british not english. Generally one should only use 'English' when one wishes to exclude the others specifically, e.g. sports teams.

• Members

British is considered more inclusive and less presumptive, and many people with extended scottish and welsh heritage like me who were born in England identify primarily as british not english. Generally one should only use 'English' when one wishes to exclude the others specifically, e.g. sports teams.

The grievance lies with the fact that it remains common for most Americans to use English and British to mean the same thing. The words are not interchangable. This thread started off with a reference to the drinking habits of the English but somewhere along the way it became British. Wales and Scotland have fought long and hard to retain their own cultural identity therefore when ignorant plebeians use English and British to mean the same thing butts are hurt. However, due to your mannerly post, even though you are English, you will be excused from the nut sucking.

Archived