How do you avoid tap dancing on stage?

• Members

For those with big pedalboards and no multi-fx.

How do you avoid the on stage tap dancing? Say in the middle of the song you want to switch to clean with some chorus,tremelo, and reverb but then you need dirt plus some delay and wah and vice versa and so on.

Is there setup to keep you from doing the river dance over your pedalboard? Besides pre-programed multi-fx units.

• Members

I use the Carl Martin Octaswitch which has 8 loops and each footswitch can be 'programmed' to select any combination of loops by choice of dipswitches above each switch.

It's more suitable for what you describe wanting to switch in multiple loops of F/X at one press rather than the non-programmable kind of looper and it's one of the cheaper options.

a.provider,m.280524,mod.media,th.thumbs3

• Members

+1 roadrage. (cheaper solution vs Octathing, even better if you can solder it from scratch)

I've used loops within loops - just one stomp things as much as I can. Everything must be organized...now, I just gig with a classical.

You can ask that useless singer to switch it for you as you play.

• Members

may don't create such parts that need such drastic changes?

Whatever I write I try to keep some general reminder that I ultimately want to play it/replicate it live, so if I'm writing something and it doesn't seem that feasible to switch from 3 effects to 3 others in the blink of an eye, I won't do it.

You could argue you're limited by what your gear can do - no switching system = no preset or scene changes.

Also - smaller boards don't totally equal no problems with engaging multiple pedals.

• Members

check out the Voodoo Lab Ground Control and Voodoo Lab GCX audio switcher. I use this to switch rack effects and stomp boxes on a shelf in my rack and also to switch between 2 amps and i can also switch channels on my amps. Depending on how I program the Ground Control I can turn everything on with one stomp. Very Cool set up !

Archived