When was the HOG discontinued?!?!

sommy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yea wtf happened to the octophant. our monies were taken, whats the current state of affairs on it?

The thread is always updated with the latest news. The enclosure printing/drilling/painting etc process is under way right now. Should be getting parts to builders relatively soon.

• Members

I don't get the HOG hate around here. I freakin' love mine. I will still probably want whatever the new one is. Onboard presets would be nice as long as I can still use the controller to skip around 1, 4, 2, 3, 1, 6 or whatever and not just scroll 1-8 like the POG2.

And there was a thread like this about a week ago, noticing that Musician's Friend had showed it as being discontinued.

Speculation abound.

• Members

As a lover of all things synthy and whacky I so, so wanted to love this pedal...but it just didn't cut the mustard for me. I thought the organ/general polyphony tones just lacked some balls that couldn't match the POG/POG2. The unique things it could do just weren't that usable for me.

To each their own, I bet some people get some great sounds out of it, and whilst I persevered, I eventually had to let it go.

• Members

While that is mostly true, it doesn't mean the HOG is any less limited than other pedals. Knowing how and when to use an effect is part of the fun of using them. I'm not going to attempt complex chords on a Big Muff either.

As an EHX fan I still have to agree with sommy. Your statement is true too, but EHX claimed it handles complex chords.

The only improvement was the spectral gate, I hope the new one will keep this feature with an updated (less harsh) sound.

• Members

For the love of god please post any questions or comments about the Octophant in the Octophant thread. V or I will happily answer any question in detail and I have been posting updates as they happen. Yes the Bahamas are great, Yes we have separate rooms, No I have not gotten the clap yet.

• Members

I think as well that it's just a business strategic decision

seems that @ EHX pedals that aren't selling well, pedals that are not generating profits, pedals that are not standardized are on the way out

that recent PG video of Rebecca Dirks getting a tour @ EHX factory in NYC, Mike Matthews didn't really seem that enthusiastic to talk about his pedals, but he was very passionate about his products

• Members

As an EHX fan I still have to agree with sommy. Your statement is true too, but EHX claimed it handles complex chords.

It does handle some complex chords, just not all.

I don't work for EHX, so it isn't like I have anything at stake to defend. I can be equally critical of their products.

I suppose I'm just from a different school of thought concerning musicians' tools and instruments, regardless of the manufacturer. My thinking is that there is no such thing as a bad tool. There is only bad deployment of tools when matched up with the wrong user with the wrong technique and the wrong purpose. You will rarely hear me say that a pedal sucks, or some variation of that. I would more likely say so&so used this pedal in this situation, and it sounded terrible.

I wish there was more of that at HCFX... It would be a more productive and informative forum.

• Members

I think as well that it's just a business strategic decision

seems that @ EHX pedals that aren't selling well, pedals that are not generating profits, pedals that are not standardized are on the way out

that recent PG video of Rebecca Dirks getting a tour @ EHX factory in NYC, Mike Matthews didn't really seem that enthusiastic to talk about his pedals, but he was very passionate about his products

He didn't seem enthusiastic because dude's mind was so fogged he couldn't string 5 words together without losing his train of thought haha. Doesn't help that Rebecca Dirks seems really indifferent reporting about anything.

• Members

Also, having never played the HOG I'm suspicious about the "not playing complex chords well" thing. Not to say that complex chords don't sound bad, but I'd have to think that theoretically most "complex" chords are complex because they're adding dissonant intervals on to standard triads. Even if the HOG was tracking every thing flawlessly adding a bunch of octaves and harmonics to dissonant intervals is going to really make that chord sound way harsh.

• Members

Also, having never played the HOG I'm suspicious about the "not playing complex chords well" thing. Not to say that complex chords don't sound bad, but I'd have to think that theoretically most "complex" chords are complex because they're adding dissonant intervals on to standard triads. Even if the HOG was tracking every thing flawlessly adding a bunch of octaves and harmonics to dissonant intervals is going to really make that chord sound way harsh.

Yeah, I mean what do you think a diminished 9th with a fifth added is going to sound like?

• Members

Yeah, I mean what do you think a diminished 9th with a fifth added is going to sound like?

yeah, if i want "complex chords" with the HOG sound, i pull down any of the 5ths, 3rds, etc sliders. it just makes sense

• Members

People that don't think the HOG handles complex chords, or that it doesn't track well, don't understand how the harmonic content simply sounds bad when you throw multiple direct octaves and other intervals on top of that. And also that it's not like the guitar's playing that octave up, it's the frequency make up of the lower octave all transposed, which sounds unnatural, and clashes when used in some ways.

It's not a limitation of the pedal, it's a byproduct of the physics of sound and your ears.

Archived