When was the HOG discontinued?!?!

sommy

• Members

People that don't think the HOG handles complex chords, or that it doesn't track well, don't understand how the harmonic content simply sounds bad when you throw multiple direct octaves and other intervals on top of that. And also that it's not like the guitar's playing that octave up, it's the frequency make up of the lower octave all transposed, which sounds unnatural, and clashes when used in some ways.

It's not a limitation of the pedal, it's a byproduct of the physics of sound and your ears.

also just that you don't normally/necessarily want to double all the dissonant intervals (if you're going for a relatively pleasant sound) and using even just the octave sliders forces you to do that

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Multiplication in the time domain is convolution in the frequency domain.

Vice versa

Sum and Difference frequencies

Intermodal Distortion

complex chords will sound like {censored}. Basic principle of math.

• Members

People that don't think the HOG handles complex chords, or that it doesn't track well, don't understand how the harmonic content simply sounds bad when you throw multiple direct octaves and other intervals on top of that. And also that it's not like the guitar's playing that octave up, it's the frequency make up of the lower octave all transposed, which sounds unnatural, and clashes when used in some ways.

It's not a limitation of the pedal, it's a byproduct of the physics of sound and your ears.

Hammond organ doesn't have any problems to handle 4 note chords on both manuals. I know the sound generation is quite different, but let's not bend the physics, please. :)

• Members

Hammond organ doesn't have any problems to handle 4 note chords on both manuals. I know the sound generation is quite different, but let's not bend the physics, please.
:)

the Organ is even tempered though, right? That alone has got to make a big difference compared to Guitar

• Members

When Minus The Bear's last album sucked.

Hehe. I'd agree but the HOG wasn't that prominent on OMNI. Regardless, good point.

The POG or POG2 (PRESETS without massive controller = {censored} yes!) both sound far better than the HOG anyway imo. To hell with all the expression options I guess.

• Members

Hammond organ doesn't have any problems to handle 4 note chords on both manuals. I know the sound generation is quite different, but let's not bend the physics, please.
:)

A Hammond organ actually produces those different octave pitches though, they're not exact transpositions of the exact same harmonic content up or down some interval. It's like two unique instruments playing those notes (operated by the same key) so you don't run into the same harmonic overlap. You're right that the sound generation is quite different, there's nothing related in fact. If you ran a single manual Hammond organ into any processor, pitch shifted that sound up an octave, it will not sound like the other manual with the 4' stop pulled, it'll sound like the 8' sped up like Chipmunks. Overlay that processed sound on top of the original and it won't sound anything like the organ with the 8' and 4' stops, no matter what devices you try to use to change the pitches.

For the love of god please post any questions or comments about the Octophant in the Octophant thread. V or I will happily answer any question in detail and I have been posting updates as they happen. Yes the Bahamas are great, Yes we have separate rooms, No I have not gotten the clap yet.

:lol:

• Members

man, I was fully expecting Phil to drop some serious science about harmonic generation, hammond organs and music theory when I saw he posted in this thread

He's still trying to play a complex chord with his stubby little fingers ;)

• Members

Multiplication in the time domain is convolution in the frequency domain.

Vice versa

Sum and Difference frequencies

Intermodal Distortion

complex chords will sound like {censored}. Basic principle of math.

This.

Applying a spectral gate (which, even with the "spectral gate" mode disengaged, is essentially how I understand the HOG works) to a chord that produces abrasive harmonic content in the upper register will only further amplify that dissonance when it is highlighted.

Of course, I usually use my HOG with a Leslie Simulator, anyway, so it's no skin off of my ass :)

In reality, the only chords I've had noticeable problems with were anything involving a major 7th or minor 2nd (and for our purposes, those intervals are inversely related, anyway), and that was only with the upper harmonic sliders dialed up.

Archived