Should I make this trade?

JMR

• Members

The Peavey isn't all that loud. We have to max it out at band practice, and even then it's a bit on the quiet side and it has no headroom at all. I've run it through a 412 before and I always have it off the ground, don't talk down to me.

• Members

Never come around here, but I found myself wondering tonight. One thing you might want to take into consideration is that the Greenback is rated at 25-watts whereas the C30 is rated at 30 and is probably pushing more than 30-watts when the volume is turned up most of the way.

• Members

If I remember correctly you've been worrying about getting this post-hardcore/emo tone for a way long time. Flipping small tube amps with lame distortion is just going to make it take longer and longer. Start setting aside like 10 bucks a week for awhile just sell your rig for a cheap underrated half-stack. You'd be way way better off getting a VTM-60 or a Bugera and a decent cab, which could be done under 500.

• Members

^

+1

or an old Traynor, Sovtek, Sound City, a SS Sunn or Acoustic Control, Peavey Butcher, etc., and a 4x12 cabinet. something 50 tube watts or over, preferably 100w if you're looking for a lot of headroom. that will last forever and bring teh real rawkz.

a Peavey Classic 30 is more than loud enough for most people, but it is not REALLY loud. i understand where you're coming from.

• Members

^

+1

or an old Traynor, Sovtek, Sound City, a SS Sunn or Acoustic Control, Peavey Butcher, etc., and a 4x12 cabinet. something 50 tube watts or over, preferably 100w if you're looking for a lot of headroom. that will last forever and bring teh real rawkz.

a Peavey Classic 30 is more than loud enough for most people, but it is not REALLY loud. i understand where you're coming from.

Traynors are going up in price, but they can still be found. The only thing is that it seems like they're based of early one channel 70's designs no? So that might be too much headroom for him. I will say my friend has a YBA-1 that intend to 'borrow'. Sovteks used to be a bargain but it seems like people caught on and they're too expensive for what they are, given that it seems they have a tendency to break down.

I've heard a lot about Sound City, and I'd guess they're too much trouble to track down. I can't speak to the old SS Sunns and Acoustics. They're probably great IF you have an amp simulating pedal to run in front of them.

I still think the old Peaveys might be the easiest to get a hold of fast. The VTMs and Butchers are basically just JCM 800s? You can probably get one

• Members

I've heard a lot about Sound City, and I'd guess they're too much trouble to track down. I can't speak to the old SS Sunns and Acoustics. They're probably great IF you have an amp simulating pedal to run in front of them.

I still think the old Peaveys might be the easiest to get a hold of fast. The VTMs and Butchers are basically just JCM 800s? You can probably get one

the Butchers are JCM800 based, but they don't sound like a 2203 or something, they're different. some like them even better than JCM's, some don't. if they have too much headroom it's easy enough to slam them with a nice distortion pedal. we have at least one Doom Roomer who swears by his Butcher.

regarding AC's and most SS Sunn amps, they don't need anything in front to sound great, they sound absolutely brilliant by themselves. all he'd need is, again, a nice dirt pedal to hit them with.

i said those kinds of amps as examples, there are so many other great, cheap amps out there it's kinda hard to pinpoint. it's more of a matter of opportunity and finding the right deal.

oh! check out old Ampeg heads too. hard to beat.

Archived