I HATE velcro, anyone figure out a better way to mount pedals on a board?

• Members

I hate dealing with velcro. I used velcro once and it took me ages to clean the adhesive off my pedals, after that I realized it was not worth it. The experience convinced me to ditch stomp boxes and use a multi-fx unit. Now I want to get back into stomp boxes but I refuse to use velcro. Anyone found a better solution towards mounting pedals on a board?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm trying to avoid adhesive all together. I once used velcro and removing the adhesive was such a pain in the but. Sometimes adhesive does not come off without paint thinner, in which case you pretty much ruin your pedal's finish. I'm pretty anal with the keeping my gear in pristine quality so it bugs me to use adhesive.

The adhesive ruined the back my Whammy pedal. Nothing would remove the dry adhesive and the paint thinner took of a lot of the paint and left me with bare metal in some spots. Ultimately I had to refinish the back of the pedal so as to not leave the metal exposed.

I refuse to go through that experience again and that's why I want to avoid anything with an adhesive.

• Members

Don't remove it.

Seems like a solution to me.

Two pedals I got recently had velcro that I have not removed, and opposite bits at that.

There is so much on the EX-7 ( which is heavy) that I cannot disengage it from the carpet.

• Members

Goo gone to remove the sticky stuff. Separate bottom plates for bjfe and other brands with a really thin finish.

Do you know where I can buy the bottom plates only? I could not find them online and I'm not about to go make my own.

Any ideas for the Digitech Whammy? It doesn't have a flat removable backplate and it does not have mounting screws on the bottom, instead they are on top!

• Members

I'm using stuff I picked up from Walmart that's used to line the bottom of kitchen drawers. It's non-adhesive and the pedals stay in place while moving and playing - though you cannot throw the pedal board around or carry it upside down. I have a massive board though, so I'm not doing that anyway.

• Members

I think I might try this method. This seems like it could be the best way to go. This should definitely work for the TS9, Digitech, and Wah.

Do you know where I can buy the bottom plates only? I could not find them online and I'm not about to go make my own.

Any ideas for the Digitech Whammy? It doesn't have a flat removable backplate and it does not have mounting screws on the bottom, instead they are on top!

Just contact one of the stores that sells the enclosures.

• Members

Use painter's tape on the bottom of your pedal - then apply the velcro to that. When you want to remove the velcro, simply peel off the painters tape. The painter's tape won't leave any adhesive behind. It's nice when you go to sell a pedal, it still looks in mint condition on the bottom.

• Members

I'm using stuff I picked up from Walmart that's used to line the bottom of kitchen drawers. It's non-adhesive and the pedals stay in place while moving and playing - though you cannot throw the pedal board around or carry it upside down. I have a massive board though, so I'm not doing that anyway.

This sounds like a good idea, might have to try that. I guess its sorta like those radar detector pads you sit on the dash of a car right?

• Members

3M Dual Lock

I've never used this but have read many recommendations that it leaves no residue and holds pedals better than velcro.

or you could just remove the screws from the bottom plate of the pedal and screw them back in through a strip of velcro for each pair of screws without removing the velcro backing - no gunk to deal with when selling the pedal, just unscrew it.

• Members

Use painter's tape on the bottom of your pedal - then apply the velcro to that. When you want to remove the velcro, simply peel off the painters tape. The painter's tape won't leave any adhesive behind. It's nice when you go to sell a pedal, it still looks in mint condition on the bottom.

THIS!!!

Heard this suggestion a few months ago--best advice I ever got on TGP.

• Members

Came here to say this.

• Members

Bike chain links.
:)

DSCF1606.JPG

I make my own out of thin stainless steel banding (which is plentiful in the garbage where I work). Drill two holes in the banding about 1/2" apart and then trim to fit with tin snips. You need a wood pedalboard to screw the pedal into. I make the one in the pic for a few bucks.

• Members

small bear sells bottoms you can buy for like $1 or so... take the bottom off of your pedal, screw the new (i think plastic) one onto your pedal, and then continue using Velcro. If you sell the pedal or just want it off of your board, just put the original bottom back on.

Archived