I HATE velcro, anyone figure out a better way to mount pedals on a board?

• Members

I don't like velcro either... For some pedals I don't mind, but others really have to be destroyed to attach velcro, like my Marshall ED-1. I tried gluing velcro to the rubber, but that never holds well. On the other hand, removing the rubber leaves the battery compartment open! For other pedals, you have to remove the rubber feet, but then you can only use them mounted on pedal boards...

So here are some of my (cheap, home made) solutions. Old pedal board:

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

pros:
-No velcro needed.
-The pedals can easily be removed from the board.

cons:
-As long as the lid is off, I cannot hold pedal board the upside down, or swing it around. (But why would I do that?)
-It takes a lot of effort to rearrange the board.

I'm often rearranging my board (I'm using it for electric, acoustic and bass), or taking single pedals off. So I wanted to have something very flexible, but still easily transportable. And cheap of course. So I came up with my own dorky home-made pedal boots:

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

pros:
-No velcro needed on the pedals.
-The pedals can easily be removed from the board.
-It's very easy to rearrange the board (the velcro is attached to the "pedal boots")
-Cheap.

cons:
-I still cannot hold my board upside down with the lid off.
-Looks very uncool and dorky. (I don't really care, but I guess most of you do.)

Let the mocking begin... :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'd think the painter's tape would pull right off of the pedal if you ever tried taking the pedal off your board. I guess industrial velcro isn't really THAT expensive, but that'd be a pain to have to re-tape everything anytime you want to rearrange anything.

protip: use a credit card to separate velcro instead of pulling on it directly. :thu:

• Members

Seriously, pedals are supposed to have Velcro....it should come pre applied with all purchases.

if i ever get into the pedal business, i will offer rubber feet or velcro options. maybe even include both back plates.

but those figure 8 connectors have really got me thinking....

• Members

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you go the velcro route, when applying velcro to a pedal, it makes sense to remove the back panel and fold or wrap the velcro inside to be pinched shut by the panel so you don't have to deal with the edges peeling. Works pretty well.

And

Bike chainlinks are amazing for pedals. When using them, aside from the obvious chain tool, degreaser and an old chain, you'll want these

auto screwdriver/ drill (plain screwdriver works too)

1/2" cap screws

A 3/4" to 1" wooden pedal board

Screws_Dtl54018.jpg

Bike chainlinks work on all Boss, Ibanez 9 & 10 series, digitech, Line 6 and behringer pedals. Theres probably more.

They don't really work on EHX, hammond style or most modern, higher end pedal enclosures. Those get velcro. :idk:

• Members

GE Household Glue. You can get these at hardware stores. It's silicon based, so it won't harden, but has an unbelievable hold strength. If you have a smooth surface board, apply the Household Glue to the bottom of your pedals and apply on your board w/ a mild pressure while twisting the pedal down on the board. Allow the glue to settle where you want it and you are set. If you need to remove the pedal, just twist and lift. Because it's silicon based, it won't leave a residue, nor harm paint. You just peel of the glue or rub it off the surfaces and you wouldn't even know it was on the pedal. I even use it on my effects knobs to keep the knob's position.

This is a great idea.

• Members

it doesn't--it works great!

I use gaffers tape, but yeah.

and I dont get the "boot" and other expensive suggestions :freak: the whole point is going cheaper than velcro or using what you already have??? I only recently got on the velcro wagon and I still prefer zip ties, but I got a carpet covered pedalboard in trade last year.

• Members

GE Household Glue cost $4.25 for a tube. You can mount about 40 pedals w/ a tube of it.

I'm definitely going to give this stuff a try, Jerry. Sounds like it would suit me excellently.

People might automatically think that glue = goopy or permanent. Well not this stuff, huh?

• Members

I'm definitely going to give this stuff a try, Jerry. Sounds like it would suit me excellently.

People might automatically think that glue = goopy or permanent. Well not this stuff, huh?

It's goopy when applied but then solidifies, and will not harden. It cleans up nicely should you have to remove it, and the bond is strong.

Archived