first day of crossfit...

d4rk0

• Members

It doesn't appear to be working any different muscles, still lats, shoulders and biceps. It just seems to involve controlled swinging to get er up.

We can talk until the cows come home, but you'd be better off just giving it a try. Controlling your body movement requires a lot of core strength.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jesus am I going to grow hooves???

:lol: Nah, it will just keep those palms smoothed out and even.

To address the kipping pullup thing, definitely not a cheating method. You're still going through the full range of motion (elbows locked out at the bottom to chin over the bar) but in a shorter amount of time. It's doing more work faster, which equals more power. If someone is hanging for dear life on the side of a cliff, they aren't going to sit there and do a strict pullup, you would do whatever you have to do to get your body up. We do strict pullups in crossfit as well, in the form of weighted pullups or L pullups. It's good to be proficient at both!

• Members

Keto diets aren't healthy. They work by keeping carbs out of the diet, so that they body has to rely on fat cells for all its energy production. The body, including the brain, prefers carbs for fuel. Without that, thinking gets fuzzy, and people tend to get more irritable than when on a low fat, moderate carb, moderate protein diet. Initially, people see the most gains on a keto diet, and they get excited. That initial drop in weight though, in the first couple weeks, isn't about fat loss. Instead, what is happening is that carbs hold water, and without carbs in the system, there is a great reduction in water weight. Once carbs are reintroduced in the system, weight goes up, as water weight goes up.

• Members

From another thread, but this is my foot as of yesterday. Surgery a week ago, healing nicely. Looks worse than it is. But the swelling will take 6 months or so. Need something with low impact. Is p90x low impact?

382422_3715855647532_281816658_n.jpg

Don't do P90X.

BTW, the guy in the video doing 50 pullups seems to have terrible form. Barely gets the chin over the bar.

• Members

Keto diets aren't healthy. They work by keeping carbs out of the diet, so that they body has to rely on fat cells for all its energy production. The body, including the brain, prefers carbs for fuel. Without that, thinking gets fuzzy, and people tend to get more irritable than when on a low fat, moderate carb, moderate protein diet. Initially, people see the most gains on a keto diet, and they get excited. That initial drop in weight though, in the first couple weeks, isn't about fat loss. Instead, what is happening is that carbs hold water, and without carbs in the system, there is a great reduction in water weight. Once carbs are reintroduced in the system, weight goes up, as water weight goes up.

you're almost right

i've been on it for 10 months and have been consulting my doctor throughout. we've both done a great deal of research on the subject. my blood pressure and cholesterol are now well within healthy ranges. i sleep much better, i'm more productive at work. i can run for miles now.

the mental fuzziness and irritability are only during the transitional phase, the "keto flu". after 3 weeks or so, i felt better than i ever had, and that includes when i was on low fat diets.

• Members
I felt like a big old {censored}. Today we did 3 sets of 21 pull-ups. At first I laughed because, wtf...63 pull-ups? who can do 63 pull-ups? Well, ALL OF THE CHICKS IN MY GROUP DID....

i dont believe it. i can do like 10 pullups at a time :(

dude want to just list your full crossfit training sched on here and we can all participate together? :poke: ;)

• Members

i dont believe it. i can do like 10 pullups at a time
:(

dude want to just list your full crossfit training sched on here and we can all participate together? :poke:
;)

{censored}. I weigh something like 53 kg and can do 15 pull-ups at a time. Then again, my low weight compensates for the lack of muscle, I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Not knocking the idea if going to a gym to stay in shape or anything...But do you guys work from behind a desk all day every day, or do you want to get super buffed, or do you eat really unhealty, or is it something else...?

I may be blessed with a good metabolism, I don't know, and I'm not saying I'm athletic...But my job basicly burns the calories I take in, and I'm a pretty big beer/food user:)

I would think that'd be the case for most other peope too, right? I guess the fact that I'm in my early 30s might make a difference too though, I suppose ten years from now I'll have a harder time burning fat than now...

• Members

even watching kipping makes my shoulders hurt.

I may be blessed with a good metabolism, I don't know, and I'm not saying I'm athletic...But my job basicly burns the calories I take in, and I'm a pretty big beer/food user:)

how old are you? you sound like you might be skinnyfat

• Members

even watching kipping makes my shoulders hurt.

I'm still mastering the kip pullup, but it isn't the shoulders that generate the momentum or take the abuse. If you push away at the top, it is actually very smooth.

Archived