first day of crossfit...

d4rk0

• Members

I'm still mastering the kip pullup, but it isn't the shoulders that generate the momentum or take the abuse. If you push away at the top, it is actually very smooth.

a lot of kipping videos make it seem like there's a 'bounce' at the bottom is all. I might be completely wrong since I just do reg pullups

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not knocking the idea if going to a gym to stay in shape or anything...But do you guys work from behind a desk all day every day, or do you want to get super buffed, or do you eat really unhealty, or is it something else...?

I may be blessed with a good metabolism, I don't know, and I'm not saying I'm athletic...But my job basicly burns the calories I take in, and I'm a pretty big beer/food user:)

I would think that'd be the case for most other peope too, right? I guess the fact that I'm in my early 30s might make a difference too though, I suppose ten years from now I'll have a harder time burning fat than now...

I started going to the gym a month ago. I'm 35, 6'1" and 145 pounds. You ought to try a day membership. It was awfully humbling going into the gym and realizing how out of shape I was that first day. I never would have guessed. I'm still not in shape, just better shape than I was a month ago. I couldn't imagine trying Crossfit at this point.

• Members

even watching kipping makes my shoulders hurt.

how old are you? you sound like you might be skinnyfat

I'm 32. Not sure exactly how you'd define "skinnyfat", but if it means having a small beer belly and not having a real athletic build, than yeah I'm borderline skinnyfat I guess:lol: Nothing that can't be fixed by cutting down on fat and sugar, and with the occasional half hour run...Right?

My point was, that daily crossfit sessions or similar hardcore workouts, seem a bit overkill if you're "skinnyfat" and just want to stay in shape or lose a couple pounds...

• Members

Kipping appears to be pullups with really bad form.

You've said that a couple of times, but what is "good" form? If your goal is to isolate your back muscles, kipping pullups don't do that as well as a dead-hang. . Kipping pullups are a full body exercise. Also, kipping pullups are much more efficient than dead-hang pullups. If your goal is functional fitness, doing the full body workout that improves your efficiency is totally the way to go. If you want to isolate and build your back, dead-hangs are the way to go.

Also, dead-hangs aren't "good" form, they are just a different exercise, related, but different.

• Members

what part of crossfit involves you rubbing yourself on other people? I train in bjj and have never caught staph although I always wash immediately after rolling.

You just start kipping for little while. Then you're like, "I got this." Then blammo, yer dead. RIP youthful prince.

SB

• Members

I'm 32. Not sure exactly how you'd define "skinnyfat", but if it means having a small beer belly and not having a real athletic build, than yeah I'm borderline skinnyfat I guess:lol: Nothing that can't be fixed by cutting down on fat and sugar, and with the occasional half hour run...Right?

My point was, that daily crossfit sessions or similar hardcore workouts, seem a bit overkill if you're "skinnyfat" and just want to stay in shape or lose a couple pounds...

Well can you define 'stay in shape' because you sound 'out of shape'. Running is great and all but takes a backseat to (heavy) weight lifting, high interval intensity training and diet. Not all athletic people are ripped either.

• Members

I love crossfit deadlifts. absolutely no pressure on your lower back, using your core, gluts and thighs all the way through. seems much safer to me.
:idk:

over the past few years I've just seen a lot of videos where people were trying to lift weights to heavy for them 'for reps'. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

• Members

over the past few years I've just seen a lot of videos where people were trying to lift weights to heavy for them 'for reps'. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

{censored} those videos. i'm talking about keeping your shins vertical, staying on your heels, keeping your chest out in front, and using your hips to power to an upright position. you have to really work out your hammies and butt first. if you're too tight, you'll never get your shins vertical. but once you get the flexibility, you feel like you're pushing your feet straight through the floor...

• Members

I love crossfit deadlifts. absolutely no pressure on your lower back, using your core, gluts and thighs all the way through. seems much safer to me.
:idk:

Deadlifts always involve the lower back as the primary mover, so there is always pressure on the lower back. It's basic biomechanics of how to move a deadweight to a standing position.

• Members

I think people are missing that crossfit is NOT a typical form of body building, it's about functional strength. Say you're trying to climb over a tall fence, you sure as {censored} aren't going to do a perfect straight pull-up to get over, you're going to swing your silly ass any way you can to get up there and still be able to keep going once up.

It's all about just getting strong, not building perfect bodybuilder muscle groups.

• Members

haha I missed that kipping pullups are a full body exercise

go to a crossfit gym and have someone show you how to do a crossfit pull-up, and THEN tell me its not a full body exercise. OR do pull ups your own way and shut the {censored} up. :idk:

Archived