IN-N-OUT Burger

Loobs

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What does Fox News have to do with it? I was discussing my POV, not theirs. If the owners of McDonalds decided they wanted to do something similar to what the owners of In-N-Out do and print Koran references (again, not the actual verse, just the reference), it wouldn't bother me in the least, nor would it dissuade me from eating there.

I know you were stating your POV. To you, it wouldn't be a big deal becuse you're a level headed guy. To many, it would be a huge deal. Just flipping out the other view approach.

• Members
Exactly what he said ^

IF you're thinking of opening in London you have some very very stiff competition. There's a very hip burger 'scene' in London right now with trendy places opening left right and centre and offering some really great burgers. Some of these places are really critically rated, funny how the humble hamburger has now been turned into a gourmet food item in certain circles. You only have to look at the amount of big name chefs who have opened burger restaurants to see where it's going.

You could do worse to read this blog
www.burgerac.com
which gives the best rundown/reviews of the London burger thing.

Also, this IMO is about the best in London, it's REALLY good.
http://honestburgers.co.uk/

It's simple culinary economics. Making a good burger is not some head{censored} science. You don't need classically trained chefs to do it nor do you need classically trained chefs to cook them. Keep the menu restricted, get friendly with your suppliers, and you can run that thing pretty tight financially.

Honest Burgers sounds really interesting. That's exactly the concept I'd go for.

• Members

no, I don't eat fast food if I can help it.

I can respect that the masses today actually prefer the homogenized, processed, predictable taste of chain fast food places such as in and out with its thin grey pattys. I just can't go for that.

If I want something beefy I'll go to my buddy's sub shop and get his cheese steak, fresh cooked the minute I order it, made from thin sliced rib eye on a roll baked down the street and delivered fresh that morning.

Have you ever eaten from in-n-out? It's not really anything like McDonalds.

• Members

Robo and Chuck should open their own place.

Agnostic Deli - Where the menu is limited to fillet mignon burgers and cheese steaks that use only fresh, local ingredients (sounds like every "unique" FoodTV show). Open 24 minutes a day, one day a week, and each week the day is random. If you mention anything Biblical, even a name, you'll be dropped into a pit of hubris sauce.

I've got coupons! :love:

• Members
It isn't that great at all.

If you want to open somewhere, keep things bloody simple at first. Don't offer up a million and one options and don't {censored} around with custom buns to start with. When a restaurant launches, money is at a premium. It's far better to have a few things done really well than offering 20 different burger types. If you're doing a burger joint then get your patties and your chips right. {censored} custom buns, different dips, and all the rest. If you can't do decent patties and decent chips, there's no hope
:D

Like Loobs said, where do you live?

I live in Cambridge. My idea was to open a in an out style burger restaurant. The custom bun is a very important part of the burger. In and out use a 24 hour ferment which is what my bun also uses. But you have to use very good flour and it has to be done to exact recipe and has to be used on the same day.

My plan would be to open simple with just 3 burgers. One with cheese, one without and a double. I want to use rump steak only but use the fat from chuck(the fat only). Then fries double dipped. Once at 59deg then frozen and then fried at 180deg. I will use my own ketchup from a recipe that is 40 years old, but very much a secret.

One of the main problems is getting cheap dry aged beef. Dry aged makes a far better burger but it's seen as a premium in the uk.

From what I have seen it will be 25k just to get the shop setup with insurance and branding etc etc. I would estimate it costing a total of 40k to start fully.

• Members

i had in and out for dinner, ordered off the secret menu too!

animal style burger and animal fries. it was disgusting. and i'm totally gassy today.

Should have gone well done on the fries if'n you go animal style with them.

• Members

I live in Cambridge. My idea was to open a in an out style burger restaurant. The custom bun is a very important part of the burger. In and out use a 24 hour ferment which is what my bun also uses. But you have to use very good flour and it has to be done to exact recipe and has to be used on the same day.

My plan would be to open simple with just 3 burgers. One with cheese, one without and a double. I want to use rump steak only but use the fat from chuck(the fat only). Then fries double dipped. Once at 59deg then frozen and then fried at 180deg. I will use my own ketchup from a recipe that is 40 years old, but very much a secret.

One of the main problems is getting cheap dry aged beef. Dry aged makes a far better burger but it's seen as a premium in the uk.

From what I have seen it will be 25k just to get the shop setup with insurance and branding etc etc. I would estimate it costing a total of 40k to start fully.

If you're in Cambridge, you need to check out Benson Blakes in Bury St Edmunds. I lived there for a few years and it might actually be the best burger I've ever had in my life. Not a fast food place, but amazing burgers/drink/sides.

• Members

Having been involved in restaurant openings on both sides of the Atlantic, I'd recommend the following:

- When it comes to cash, set your budget then add on 25%. If you want to be open for June, then set your finances to open at least two months later. It's way too easy to have plans held back by late paperwork etc. The last place I was involved in employed staff and paid them for two months before the lease was signed. The resto opened over two months late which meant the double whammy of extra salaries to pay and the unplanned for lack of income for those extra two months of not being open.

-It's definitely best to get all the paperwork done, everything signed, and to get into the building before employing anyone.

-If you think getting cheap dry aged beef is hard now, wait until next year. My vegetable supplier says the prices will shoot up next year due to the {censored}ty summer affecting the wheat harvest. Bad wheat harvest = more expensive grain for cattle over the winter. The potato crops have been bad too, the tatties we have been getting have just gone up from

• Members

Maca, you ever eat at Hero Burger?

Sooooo good.

yea man. expensive though. theres one in the food court downstairs where I work, price is the only thing keeping me from going there a lot, their fries are great. A lot of locations opening up in toronto now, its the new 'the {censored}' place apparently. I prefer Lick's though. even better. And the Burger Priest, but there are only 2 locations and both in Toronto, one just opened up by my house actually. So if you ever decide to come up we could hit it up for sure :thu:

Its too bad all your indiecredits aren't redeemable for In-n-out burger teleportation service, eh? :(

• Members

no, I don't eat fast food if I can help it.

I can respect that the masses today actually prefer the homogenized, processed, predictable taste of chain fast food places such as in and out with its thin grey pattys. I just can't go for that.

If I want something beefy I'll go to my buddy's sub shop and get his cheese steak, fresh cooked the minute I order it, made from thin sliced rib eye on a roll baked down the street and delivered fresh that morning.

and your dad gut thanks you kindly

Archived