@#$% Apple

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in all seriousness though, Phil and all, i'm on mountain lion right now, and if you just hold the 'option' key while you have the file menu opened it changes 'duplicate' to 'save as' and youre good to go
:thu:
no functionality lost.

That's another annoying thing about Apple. Their cutsey "cat" naming of the operating system versions. It wouldn't be so bad if they told you it was Lion, or Mountain Lion in the "About This Mac" page, but no - you only get the numbers (10.7.x) there.

Anyway, I'm running Lion (10.7), although I qualify, and have signed up for the free upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8). Unfortunately, under Lion, the option key trick doesn't work. It changes some items on the menu, but not the save or duplicate options.

The user should ALWAYS have full control over where files are saved, and what name they are saved under. Always. Backups and safety copies are one thing, but the OS shouldn't over-write user-created files unless the user tells it to. Ever.

• Members

I am in the process of leaving Apple after 20 years. They have really burned me too many times with their planned obsolescence of everything. Really evil to make your product with the only real flaw is that you're intentionally going to make it not work so the customer is imprisoned. Twice as expensive, half the usefulness, outdated every year, rendered useless by the maker with Relentless gluttony. Storage? They are really trying to own you there.

OS specific storage with nowhere to put it except.in your subscription based system? Gee, sign me up. As long as that cloud also stops.working.with my two year old device that you now control the storage access to.

Going to Android.

I'm purging from itunes as well. Anyone know of awesome conversion software to get out of their file format? Besides burning audio CDs and reloading?

• Members
It actually works really well, it's just so hard to get used to versions. I'm pretty sure it's not defaulted on in Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lions showing me in Textedit that "Save a Version" is no longer there, we now have just Save and Duplicate.

Phil! Upgrade! :wave:

• Members

From this commentary...

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/3/14/2872707/planned-obsolescence-part-3-how-to-dominate-the-market-using-proven

"In the technology world, the successful companies are those that know a good strategy; how to find and keep new customers. That is their bread and butter. This is especially true for companies like Apple or RIM that do not only deal in software, but in hardware as well. To date, no company has excelled at doing this like Apple has, and this thesis is a how-to manual for total world domination, one device at a time.

Tactic 1- Finding new customers for your devices just wouldn't cut it, sooner or later, the market will run out of them, and that would hurt your company's bottom-line. What does a company do, you might ask? Well, do what Apple does, have a clearly defined upgrade cycle, ideally a two to three-year upgrade cycle. Apple does it by simply discontinuing support for devices through an elaborate scheme of hardware OS versions. Attached is a chart from Wikipedia showing IOS versions and compatible devices (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history)

Version Supported devices: portable iOS devices

3.1.3 iPhone (original); iPod Touch (1st generation)

4.2.1 iPhone 3G; iPod Touch (2nd generation)

iPhone 3GS, GSM/CDMA iPhone 4, iPhone 4S; iPod Touch (3rd and 4th generation); iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation)

... and another (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices)

Model iPhone iPhone 3G iPhone 3GS iPhone 4 iPhone 4S

Initialoperating system iPhone OS 1.0 iPhone OS 2.0 iPhone OS 3.0

iOS 4.0 (GSMmodel) iOS 4.2.5 (CDMAmodel)

iOS 5.0

Highest supported operating system

iPhone OS 3.1.3

iOS 4.2.1 iOS 5.1

Based on this general hypothesis, here is a projection of the Iphone upgrade/compatibility cycle:

Phone Release Date IOS versions supported Year of Obsolescence

Original iPhone 2007 1,2,3 2010

iPhone 3G 2008 2,3,4 2011

iPhone 3GS 2009 3,4,5 2012*

iPhone 4 2010 4,5,6* 2013*

iPhone 4S 2011 5,6*,7* 2014*

iPhone 5 2012 6*,7*,8* 2015*

* projected based on trend

As can be seen in the cycle above, every 3 years, iphone users will suddenly find their device not supported by the latest software, apps and OS, causing them to seriously ponder an upgrade. It is worth noting that Apple has recently decided to do away with the version numbers of hardware, which will muddy the analyses of this trend in the future. Now, that is good tactic worth adopting.

Tactic 2- Bitch and moan about platform fragmentation, all with the ultimate scheme of making it acceptable to have only one version of apps for all devices in different tiers. This will provide a great tool to differentiate device performance should your company decide on a significant hardware feature upgrade, such as Apple just did with their new retina displays for the iPad. The new iPad retina display got the tech world hollering at the advancement and the sheer "magic", but little did we know what the true cost would be. Here are the two main predicaments it causes; firstly, software bloat, and secondly, software incompatibility. According to CNET, most existing apps are going to see very significant increases in download sizes to accommodate the new retina display. Older devices will have to contend with processing all that unnecessary extra data and code, which could render the older devices not being able to run as smoothly or not run at all. Given Apples's track record bordering on paranoia regarding fragmentation of the platform, it is safe to assume that there will not be stripped-down versions made available to older devices. For now, as stated in the CNET report, developers may hold back on modifying their apps for the new iPad. However, if history is anything to go by, a little nudge from Apple is all it is going to take to get those pesky developers to fall in line and sing like full-throated songbirds!

Tactic 3- Give your devices a premium feel (that will get the fanboys) but make them so slippery with "shatterific" screens that implode in quite dramatic fashion after one drop from the waist (hey Samsung, you are doing it all wrong). Couple this with a 1-year warranty (or extended warranty for extra bucks) that conveniently does not cover the users clumsiness, and your company will be in good business. After a couple of years, when warranties are all used up, revert back to tactic 1 to clean up those pesky hermetically-sealed devices that have withstood this tactic.

Scratch-loving devices are a good thing for your company's bottomline. The iPod is such a scratch-magnet!

Tactic 4- Seal 'em in. Remember back in the day when you allowed your customers the luxury of removable batteries, only to have them replaced year, after year, after year by the users themselves. Well, those days are long gone. This isn't Kansas anymore, and the rules have changed. Follow Apple's lead and seal them in tight, with such high-tech proprietary screws that it would take a rocket scientist with a death wish to extract them.

Tactic 5- In the highly unlikely occasion that all the afore-mentioned tactics do not work, which is very, very doubtful, here is a tactic so obscene, so illogical, that it would make the Devil himself blush at the depth of trickery. Limit new exciting features and services to new devices for no reason. Why? Because you can, that's why! Siri? iPhoto? Sure they can run on older devices, but you really don't have to get into those details, do you?

Tactic 6- Last but not the least, provide the proverbial nudge to those customers who just don't get a clue. Push upgrades to the OS on them, but DO NOT tell them their devices are not really compatible with the new version, or that certain apps will start acting all wonky. That will show them, trust me.

Now that you have followed all these steps, sit back and watch your market share rise. Life is good, take some time to pat yourself on the back and to rake in the dough.

End of manual."

Tactic 1, 4 and 5 really burned me out. Done. Bring in the Droid.

• Members

Yap, I have an iphone 3G that is pretty much useless these days. So painfully slow that makes me pray for the day apple releases the phone 5. I got the 3G in 2009, and last year the unit was obsolete. That's the 2-3 years cycle. Suspiciously, the phone got slower and slower, even without new apps or updates, it just got so slow by itself that it's an unusable device now. This device that was the top of the game just 3 years ago.

The only thing that stops me from changing systems is that the other companies are not going to be better. I'm pretty much considering to live without a mobile phone, for the 60-70 $ a month I pay for my calls and messages, I'd be better off saving $800 a year for gear!

• Members

Yap, I have an iphone 3G that is pretty much useless these days. So painfully slow that makes me pray for the day apple releases the phone 5. I got the 3G in 2009, and last year the unit was obsolete. That's the 2-3 years cycle. Suspiciously, the phone got slower and slower, even without new apps or updates, it just got so slow by itself that it's an unusable device now. This device that was the top of the game just 3 years ago.

The only thing that stops me from changing systems is that the other companies are not going to be better. I'm pretty much considering to live without a mobile phone, for the 60-70 $ a month I pay for my calls and messages, I'd be better off saving $800 a year for gear!

My Droid kicks iPhone's ass. Free apps, faster, with storage options and you can replace the battery. And you will not be enslaved by the OS forever.... And ever.... And ever. iPhone5: obsolete in 2015!

• Members

You know, when you download a picture or create a text file or movie, you should be able to save it as whatever you want... the "save a version" thing in Lion is bullpucky. I don't trust it... what if that file (with the associated versions) gets corrupted? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to me. If I want to save a file in a different place, or "save as" with a different name... I can't - not without having to go way out of my way (out of the file menu) to do it.

WTH were they thinking?

/ Griping.

+1

It started with iTunes which at least gave you the option,

then with iPhoto, there was no longer the option to save your files to a user defined destination.

Apple has ripped authorization repair status from thousands of independent struggling repair shops

by raising the amount of sales requirements to unrealistic quotas as a pre-req,

in a thinly veiled move to give "The Apple Store" a monopoly in both sales and service.

Not to mention the slave labor practices of Apple Corp in China.

Apple has become an evil corp.

But damn,

Those new iPhones are SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I'm still on Snow Leopard. I'll probably suffer a heart attack trying to adjust to Space Lion or whatever in the inevitable future.

+1 i liked my snow leopard too.personsally not a huge fan of apple's drive to merge PC with iOs essentially, but i'll get used to it

• Members

I'm purging from itunes as well. Anyone know of awesome conversion software to get out of their file format? Besides burning audio CDs and reloading?

iTunes. The only problem is that when you convert to mp3, you lose some quality. Unless you're converting to lossless. In that case, you would have a giant file with the same quality.

• Members

This thread is a vortex of idiocy and suck.

In order of awesome to suck -> Linux-> OSX----------------------------------------Windows, any flavor. The main improvement to Win7 is, it does not crash that much. The registry, interface, IE, {censored}ty auto mated feature still suck hard.

Please learn to use the os before bitching about it. I won't argue audio with Phil, but OS? Hardware? Utter bs that Apple is behind ANY on the planet right now. Perfect? no. But still 10 years ahead of Microsoft.

• Members

This thread is a vortex of idiocy and suck.

In order of awesome to suck -> Linux-> OSX----------------------------------------Windows, any flavor. The main improvement to Win7 is, it does not crash that much. The registry, interface, IE, {censored}ty auto mated feature still suck hard.

Please learn to use the os before bitching about it. I won't argue audio with Phil, but OS? Hardware? Utter bs that Apple is behind ANY on the planet right now. Perfect? no. But still 10 years ahead of Microsoft.

Problem is Mac used to be nice and easy, but they are getting big, corporative and anal, and they start to look like the Microsoft every Mac user was running away from.

• Members

OK Fanboy. Now you have me stupidly typing a response, as if this matters at all, but I have learned to use the OS before bitching, so...

It's not the OS that is the problem. It is their practice of planned obsolescence that bothers me most.

Personal example: I am typing on a Macbook right now. Runs great, nothing wrong with it, EXCEPT Apple will never release an iTunes update for this machine again. I cannot upgrade iLife and all the software associated with it. So I get the pleasure of never being able to update my wife's iPad, my iPod touch, or the other little devices. I have to plug them into a PC. I have to take my music/photos off this machine, put them into a PC, and update them that way. Why? Because Apple wants me to buy a new computer, they start to make everything inconvenient to the point of absurdity for their own customers. PC's get the new iTunes update, but I can't? You know what, I could shrug and just take it (again) from them, but I'm not spending two grand every two years on a Mac. And this is one example. This is a company that intentionally sabotages their smaller devices so they will end up in a drawer in 4 years. That is just unforgivable.

The new Macbook is so sealed together with plastic it will not be reparable. How messed up is that?

Let's say you were buying a car. Car A costs less than Car B. Car A can be repaired, Car B cannot. Car A runs on 90% of the roads, Car B runs on 10%. Car A costs half as much as Car B. Car A will last 5 years, Car B will no longer work on the roads in 3 years, but it still runs in the driveway, so don't complain. CAR A may have problems and can run poorly, you may have to pull over and restart it, but it can be fixed with a good mechanic. CAR B must be taken to a specific mechanic in a specific store where they wear black matching shirts and act kind of like a cult. CAR A has lots of trunk room, but you can hook up a trailer to it if you need more. CAR B's manufacturers would like you to store all of your belongings in their garage and they will give you them if you need them anywhere on the road, so long as you have service and as long as you pay them each month. Trust them. They would never take your things.

But if you drive CAR A, you will be mocked by drivers of Car B for your lack of coolness. They will say you are slower, clunky, and less responsive. They hate your windows, your engine, and the view from just sitting inside of one. It makes them feel unclean and old. Even if it runs great and can go places they can never go because their car manufacturer won't let them, they will hate being in your car. And you know what? Their car does look nicer, runs a bit faster, and seems impervious to problems, but their car manufacturer INTENTIONALLY SABOTAGES their car so they will no longer be able to use it in the same efficient manner.

As a 20+ year user, I have surrendered. No more. Android has been better, faster, stronger, cheaper as far as my phone service. Let's see what a Nexus 7 can do.

Archived