The Era of "You have to fight just to get what you paid for"

• Members

I suppose this has always existed, but this summer has been particularly difficult for me.

Seems like every time I pay for a service, the provider is trying to steal my money... birth certificate agencies, electronic technicians, property management, eBay sellers, identity theft, booking agencies... the list goes on and on. I pay, and the provider does not deliver, so I have to waste my time and energy on a phone and on a computer to fight with them and find ample ammunition to hold them accountable. I'm sick of this s**t! :mad:

WTF is up with everyone?!!!! Is it just me? Or this is happening to a lot more of you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I suppose this has always existed, but this summer has been particularly difficult for me.

Seems like every time I pay for a service, the provider is trying to steal my money... birth certificate agencies, electronic technicians, property management, eBay sellers, identity theft, booking agencies... the list goes on and on. I pay, and the provider does not deliver, so I have to waste my time and energy on a phone and on a computer to fight with them and find ample ammunition to hold them accountable. I'm sick of this s**t!
:mad:

WTF is up with everyone?!!!! Is it just me? Or this is happening to a lot more of you?

Keep a running file of how to deal with that stuff. I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

• Members

Keep a running file of how to deal with that stuff. I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

Some of it I'm not sure how to deal with yet. At least with eBay I can submit a case against the seller. With some organizations it helps to submit a case to the BBB, though not a guarantee that the resolution will be satisfactory. Online forums are a great place to vent (ahem), but not a very direct form of accountability. Beyond that, it's rarely enough $ that would make it cost-effective to get a lawyer involved. And the police have bigger fish to fry. They're trying to track down mass-murderers and s**t.

• Members

yep service in general has been {censored} in N.A. for years. People have been trying to take your money and do nothing for years. I would assume your just starting to notice... This summer has been bad though i know what your getting at. I can't count the number of times i've had to be an ass just to get what i paid for.

Its enough to want to start jacking fools.

• Members

I have been trying to collect from my company insurance plan for some x-rays that my daughter had on her teeth. It is $50 (for which I am supposed to get 90% back). I have spent about three hours on the phone and have gotten the orthodontists office involved as well. Still nothing. The woman at the ortho's office says lately the private insurance companies will stonewall until people drop it. {censored}ing {censored} drives me nuts.

• Members

Seems like every time I pay for a service, the provider is trying to steal my money... birth certificate agencies, electronic technicians, property management, eBay sellers, identity theft, booking agencies... the list goes on and on. I pay, and the provider does not deliver, so I have to waste my time and energy on a phone and on a computer to fight with them and find ample ammunition to hold them accountable. I'm sick of this s**t!
:mad:

Yep. I agree 100%. I think part of the problem is attention-starved customers willing to go to the mat over the most petty inconsequential crap. Meanwhile they'll kill you at the hospital. Air travel is unusable. I'm done flying. I'll just drive and do without seeing places farther than that.

I'm done with Ebay. That's the pettiest place on the planet.

I'm pretty lenient with money... I'd rather give a little on my end to avoid a fight, but when people take advantage I just start seeing red and will walk away from a deal.

I have been trying to collect from my company insurance plan for some x-rays that my daughter had on her teeth. It is $50 (for which I am supposed to get 90% back). I have spent about three hours on the phone and have gotten the orthodontists office involved as well. Still nothing. The woman at the ortho's office says lately the private insurance companies will stonewall until people drop it. {censored}ing {censored} drives me nuts.

Two observations, and a suggestion:

After you spend three hours on the phone (or whatever) trying to get rightfully reimbursed, your costs have at least doubled. IOW, you spend as much (or more) time (and time = money) trying to get paid back as the original bill was.

They're hoping you'll recognize the truth behind observation 1 and give up.

Turn the tables. Make it costly to THEM. Call incessantly and leave lots of messages. Go straight to the top - get the name and contact info of the highest ranking person at the company and start incessantly presenting the facts to them via emails, phone calls and letters. Threaten to report them to the state insurance commissioner - and follow through if they don't pay you back promptly. Keep your cool, present the facts, but be insistent and persistent.

Normally I'm not a petty person. I'll let things slide, I'll go with the flow... but you keep pushing me, and sooner or later I'm going to get ticked off and start pushing back. And AFAIC, as a broad sweeping generality (IOW, there are a few exceptions), insurance companies, lawyers, and politicians are just a nearly imperceptible step above organized crime syndicates on the social scumbag scale.

Archived