The next time you're asked to play for free...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually do the whole "Go ask 4 Plumbers how much it'll cost to book them for 6 hours on a Saturday night, and we'll play for half of that".

The difference though, is that plumbers provide a service people actually need.

Which is why I'm encouraging my son to become a plumber instead of going to college. When your toilet starts to overflow raw sewage into your house, you can't get a plumber from India or China cheaper over the internet.

• Members

I love when a venue that doesn't want to pay uses this nugget: "We'll totally give you lots of exposure, and 'hype' you on our Facebook and Twitter."

Oh, SNAP. Wow, THE Twitter? I wonder if my landlord would take that instead of rent: "yo #columbiaSC bros chk it you need a place to #rent you call miss kramer K shes the bestsss". Maybe the grocery store: "hey yallz the @Publix on Gervais has the best Progresso #soup and #bluecornchips ever visit and FF"

"How about instead of me paying for that muffler, I hype you on Twitter to all my followers, bro?"

• Members

I've played free many times in my life to differing degrees of success. Most of you guys probably don't play for a living. I don't either but when I was really trying to, $20 in a tip jar was a meal and a tank of gas (it was a quite a long time ago). Buskers play "for free" all the time. I kinda look at it as if one's even considering the types gigs which won't pay then you're probably at a level where playing for free would actually do some good.

• Members

I wonder how all those bands pre-Twitter gained any popularity at all

ninja edit

I've played free many times in my life to differing degrees of success. Most of you guys probably don't play for a living. I don't either but when I was really trying to, $20 in a tip jar was a meal and a tank of gas (it was a quite a long time ago). Buskers play "for free" all the time. I kinda look at it as if one's even considering the types gigs which won't pay then you're probably at a level where playing for free would actually do some good.

and these days $20 won't cover one day in the rehearsal studio. art isn't free. art is time and time is money. i think playing for free is kind of a joke and purely exploitative of creative people because people with the kinds of jobs that they refer to as "real jobs" think that just because it doesn't directly make someone else money it should be devalued either partially or completely. you know, the kinds of people who ask graphic designers if they can buy them a 6 pack for an entire ad campaign instead of paying them real abalone shell dollars

• Members

The difference though, is that plumbers provide a service people actually
need

Which is why I'm encouraging my son to become a plumber instead of going to college. When your toilet starts to overflow raw sewage into your house, you can't get a plumber from India or China cheaper over the internet.

Nope just Mexican Plumbers

• Members

The difference though, is that plumbers provide a service people actually
need

Son, I really believe in you, so I want you to be destined for a line of work where you interact with other people's actual {censored}s on a daily basis. Go get it champ!

• Members

Son, I really believe in you, so I want you to be destined for a line of work where you interact with other people's actual {censored}s on a daily basis. Go get it champ!

Hey! I worked in healthcare where I dealt directly with {censored} every day!

I quit that job though because god damn.

• Members

Hey! I worked in healthcare where I dealt directly with {censored} every day!

I quit that job though because god damn.

Lots of jobs deal with literal {censored}. Farming is an extremely important industry and those folks live wth {censored} every day. Im not dogging any of it. I just think its funny to push your kid into a job like that because someone in india cant plunge those toilets!

• Members

and these days $20 won't cover one day in the rehearsal studio. art isn't free. art is time and time is money. i think playing for free is kind of a joke and purely exploitative of creative people because people with the kinds of jobs that they refer to as "real jobs" think that just because it doesn't directly make someone else money it should be devalued either partially or completely. you know, the kinds of people who ask graphic designers if they can buy them a 6 pack for an entire ad campaign instead of paying them real abalone shell dollars

No art is absolutely free until it is purchased. It will sit on a gallery wall for all to view until it is sold. Unless it is commissioned and that is different entirely. Music is often mistaken for "art" but is really its own thing and always has been. The biggest difference is there are so, so very many hobby musician/weekend warriors who think they should be able to pull a living down after a couple months practice with a band.

The term starving artist has a very real meaning to those who've tried to live the life. I'm all for fair compensation of musicians, but often a reality check is in order. If one is playing in an original band and all you can draw out to a dive bar is 10 close friends then I'm sorry but you don't really deserve to make much if anything. If you can pack a 500-1000 seat auditorium you deserve some serious scratch. Playing a couple sets of forgettable acoustic covers at a local coffee house isn't going to earn one anything while having a 200 tune repertoire spanning 5 decades and a well rehearsed band will get you prime happy hour gigs and as many weekend wedding gigs as one cares to have. There is a long road to success requiring much sacrifice. In the end, as a musician ask yourself what skill or service your selling. If your answer is art, well...see above.

Archived