The next time you're asked to play for free...

• Members

Musicians do indeed fill a need -- there's a difference (a huge one) between saying "no musicians should be paid" and "you in particular should not be paid."

A front row seat to see Bruce Springsteen has a certain value. A table next to a dude doing a painful version of "Taxi" has a different value. That's capitalism!

"Show up with the theremin you got 2 days ago and two ring modulators."

{censored}ing this! Having said what I did, and having been in the painful position of having to tell people you genuinely like as friends "I'm sorry, your band's draw is not enough for that supporting slot for Yo La Tengo," I *do* think that if someone signs you up as a freebie .... well, you know: TIME TO TRY OUT NEW MATERIAL.

:lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll take an audience that does not speak, watches and listens to me play over pay. I enjoy (almost) never ever dealing with the leeches that are known as promoters. I happen to enjoy very bizarre atmospheres for music and despise cover bands and sound alikes. If Yo La Tengo digs what I do, then cool. They should feel free to ask me to come next door and play sometime. Getting paid would be nice, but at this point I just search for the opportunities to find new people to listen to us.

• Members

I'll take an audience that does not speak, watches and listens to me play over pay. I enjoy (almost) never ever dealing with the leeches that are known as promoters. I happen to enjoy very bizarre atmospheres for music and despise cover bands and sound alikes. If Yo La Tengo digs what I do, then cool. They should feel free to ask me to come next door and play sometime. Getting paid would be nice, but at this point I just search for the opportunities to find new people to listen to us.

I think most people on an effects forum are going to be like-minded enough to understand where you're coming from but I don't think there is anything wrong with using music to supplement or fulfill an income. It's odd for me because I kind of grew up in the diy punk rock scene where "getting paid" was looked down on, in a sense, to playing jazz where most players are union members and playing for free is an absurdity that never even comes up in conversation.

• Members

I think most people on an effects forum are going to be like-minded enough to understand where you're coming from but I don't think there is anything wrong with using music to supplement or fulfill an income. It's odd for me because I kind of grew up in the diy punk rock scene where "getting paid" was looked down on, in a sense, to playing jazz where most players are union members and playing for free is an absurdity that never even comes up in conversation.

Only talking about my perspective. Sorry. See above.

• Members

Don't let anyone pack your head about this. The difference between a "Pro" and an "Amateur" isn't talent, experience, chops, or popularity. The one and only difference is money. Just like athletes Pro musicians get payed and amateurs don't. That's the difference between art and the business of art. Everything else is bull {censored}. If you're looking for appreciation try to remember that real appreciation comes in the form of green backs. Willie said it best. "If you want to dance you've got to pay the band". It's as simple as that.

• Members

Musicians fill a need too. It's just emotional rather than mechanical.

Not debating that, but music occupies a different slot on the hierarchy of needs. Lack of music has never killed anyone, lack of proper sanitation has. More people died during the Civil War due to dysentery than to bullets. Too many drummers, not enough plumbers.

• Members
iPhone'd
:idk:

Oh, and here's me thinking that the experience of watching a good group of musicians playing in the same room as you is different from squinting at a little screen showing a recording of live musicians listening through earbuds with questionable sound quality. :confused::wave:

• Members

Don't let anyone pack your head about this. The difference between a "Pro" and an "Amateur" isn't talent, experience, chops, or popularity. The one and only difference is money. Just like athletes Pro musicians get payed and amateurs don't. That's the difference between art and the business of art. Everything else is bull {censored}. If you're looking for appreciation try to remember that real appreciation comes in the form of green backs. Willie said it best. "If you want to dance you've got to pay the band". It's as simple as that.

Very true. I played "professionally" for two years in a cover band. I wasn't really into the music, but seeing everyone have a great time at our shows and getting paid was great. I could work less hours at my retail job, and when I went out on a Friday or Saturday night, I drank and ate free (sometimes even on nights I wasn't playing because the bartenders knew and liked me). None of that stopped me from playing, writing, and following my muse in my free time, but if that's still selling out then I'm cool with that. :idk:

• Members

Posted on my local clist -

http://bham.craigslist.org/muc/3163020168.html

I am hosting an Mow My Lawn Showcase this Saturday. MMLS is intended for provide exposure for club owners, scam event organizers and others who like to offer opportunities to work for free.

You are welcome to put up a sign to advertise YOUR club or EVENT - This is GREAT EXPOSURE for your club or event

There will be musicians on hand to speak with afterwards and you can promote YOUR club or event for FREE

HURRY SPACE IS LIMITED for the first ever monthly MOW MY LAWN SHOWCASE - Look for Paint My House Showcase later in the fall

MUSICIANS DO NOT WORK FOR FREE EITHER

• Members

I'm sensing here that saying you won't play for free is like bragging you're good ....

Some kinds of musician work IS like a job and you should get paid. A well-known working band may change members but the leaders choose which auditioners get the job and who gets to play for free with no audience a little longer :facepalm: ... OTOH reading this thread, I'm thinking for an originals band finding the right venue or 2 to get known could be worth anything.

But regarding the ad in the OP, it's hard to believe it's much an opportunity.

Archived