OT: What are your thoughts on your music being used in advertising?

MrChrisos

• Members

Adam Yauch got me thinking about this. (article here)

I've gone backwards and forward over this for years. And before people jump in with the anti-capitalist banners - my girlfriend owes her signing, launch and ability to work on her music full time and fully financed, to advertising.

Kind of an opposite to the playing-for-free thread.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In principle, I'm against it. But compared to being on a major label in this day and age, It does provide a lot of freedom. If you need then money then go for it, but these bands who are already loaded and insist on selling their songs to virtually any advertisement, that is different i think.

• Members

Being paid well for great exposure's pretty amazing, but I don't like the idea of someone hearing my music and thinking of Homebase or something.

I guess it's not black and white though, labels ask if there's anything you wouldn't consider, like Shell oil or dogfood.

• Members

I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not for some reprehensible product/company. I've written for/liscenced stuff to a coffee shop in the past, for example. I like coffee shops, so why not?

• Members

I think the problem is more when labels used to just ok your music being in something and not tell the artist.

well, this is standard practice, or at least all of the contracts I have seen have a Clause dedicated to the label, publisher or record company having the right to exploit the music for use in commercials, etc.

• Members

if it was for a product I use and could stand behind, sure. no politics or causes. I also don't agree with labels selling music to ads without the artists consent, or family of dead musicians cashing in and selling the music/likeness for things the artist would be totally against.

that said, if tampax/pampers/Ron Paul/the RIAA/japanese whaling fleets/whatever turned around and offered 25 million to use my song as anthem, {censored} it, I'll take the money and never play the track again.

• Members

At a time when the radio seems to only play Nickelback and MTV no longer stands for music it's pretty much the only way for a band to get their material out there.

As for the whole "selling out" thing, yeah, I don't agree with it but it's like that Tool song says, "I sold out a long time ago."

• Members

I was at a charity event a few years back. These two opera singers came on stage (I've little clue about opera) and sang the fantastic two part aria - it was truly stunning.

Buy I can guarentee you, 99% of the people in there couldn't help but think of British Airways. That I struggle with.

• Members

I've always thought that if someone asked to use my music for an advert I'd refuse but say that they could commission me to write something for them. I think that if you're writing for art's sake then that shouldn't be sold out. But then we've all got to eat and there's nothing wrong with writing for money. It's just that the two things should be kept separate.

Now, of course, no one is ever going to ask to use my music but it's nice to know that I've thought it through, just in case...

• Members

It's something I'll never have to worry about, but I'm against it.

It's weird these days. No one has even basic principles. It used to be that famous actors would go to Japan to make commercials, because it seemed like a kind of tacky and money grubbing thing to do. But these days, no one cares. I see famous actors (or hear their voice-overs) pitching {censored} on my television all the time. I guess it's not enough to make millions doing your first job, might as well get some extra work too, pad your bank account some more and make sure another actor doesn't get a payday. No one even pretends to be about anything other than money anymore. And that's fine, enjoy your money. But then, on the flip side, don't expect me to consider you an "artist" or respect your craft or anything like that.

• Members

I think art and Money's a funny one that won't ever be solved. Much of the greatest art in history - Michelangelo to Mozart, was comissioned by those with the money. It was the church, then earls, nowadays it's the corporations. From that perspective things could be a lot worse.

I also think there's a lot of myth about the art & principles think. Jesus, look at Damien Hurst.

• Members

I'm 1,000% for it in every way possible. The fear of "sellout" is largely an idealistic thing in youth culture. When I was a teen I was notorious for labeling other musicians as sell outs for playing in cover bands and doing pop music. As I've gotten older I realize that a true sell out isn't the one who choose to capitalize on their music ability, but the one who choose the safer career path because it was too hard to make it chasing their dream. One of the guys I used to poke fun at in high school is now a very accomplished studio musician who's toured the world with several different top 40 acts and been on national television a number of times. He's not the sell out, he's the smart one who gets to play guitar for a living day in and out. I'm the sell out, sitting in a cube dreaming of the 30 minutes tonight when I'll get to play a little. My advice to you young guns: play as often with as many people in as many different style as you can and rarely if ever turn down a gig.

• Members

I think art and Money's a funny one that won't ever be solved. Much of the greatest art in history - Michelangelo to Mozart, was comissioned by those with the money. It was the church, then earls, nowadays it's the corporations. From that perspective things could be a lot worse.

I think you are confusing popular art with advertising (which is easy to do, as people search for more ways to turn a bigger profit, the two are being merged). Most popular art is commissioned by people with money. Every film you see was commissioned by people with money. But it was most likely made for the enjoyment of the masses. That car or cell phone commercial was made to sell the masses a product or service by any means necessary.

Archived