Up to four pedals and a 20w tweed amp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How much clean headroom does this amp have? 20w isn't that low wattage. I would agree if the amp is being overdriven, reverb might not sound great, so I like the slapback delay option as well. Carbon copy or 616 perhaps, maybe the Aqua Puss would be better even.

• Members

Meeeeeeeee. I had a Crema Wheat for a short period of time too. I'll stand by just using a tuner and delay. Using an OD or Fuzz with a badass tweed circuit is blasphemy.

Well then you'd better call Neil Young and tell him he's doing it wrong. lol

• Members

Well then you'd better call Neil Young and tell him he's doing it wrong. lol

Ha! You know what I mean...I'm just saying the appeal of a 5E3 its magical overdriven tones correct? I've hit mine with various fuzzes and stuff and while cool sounds are definitely available, it just never amounts to how awesome it sounds cranked with some delay and nothing else. I just don't think it's a great platform amp. Neil Young uses some fun textural effects but pretty much just relies on the amp for OD am I wrong?

• Members

Ha! You know what I mean...I'm just saying the appeal of a 5E3 its magical overdriven tones correct? I've hit mine with various fuzzes and stuff and while cool sounds are definitely available, it just never amounts to how awesome it sounds cranked with some delay and nothing else. I just don't think it's a great platform amp. Neil Young uses some fun textural effects but pretty much just relies on the amp for OD am I wrong?

No I get what you're saying and you're correct - but it's also been my experience that tweeds can sound amazing getting boosted as well - provided you're using the right kind. I've had rare occasions where fuzzes sounded good (AstroTone, Mk.1 Tonebender, Screw Driver), but for what I like to hear from a tweed I'd much rather tighten it up and let the mids honk and that's why I love a good treble booster.

• Members

i guess the winner here is the one who can get as many combos as possible into that setup.

red witch phaser/trem

flint reverb/trem

timeline/dmm/other delay for reverb/delay/chorus/vibrato

the zvex sonar was also a super hard-on, so there's that.

pharaoh>grand orbiter>deluxe pitch pirate>zvex sonar? :) i don't see myself using any other dirt than BAT or dwarfcraft at this point. I've never tried an OCD though.

• Members

With my 5E3 clone, I like to use an RX Overdrive as a treble boost, Tuna Melt trem, Deluxe Memory Man set to a slapback with a touch of modulation and a handful of repeats, and an old Premier 90 spring reverb. I plug into the normal channel with the volume set to around 1 o'clock, bright volume around 3 o'clock, and the tone full up. Between the boost and the volume knob on the guitar, it can go from pretty clean to deliciously fuzzy.

Archived