Coffee drinker. Lighter or Darker roast. Why?

TravvyBear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haz grad-ee-ated from PDX-pisswater to backwoods Pure-as-Puss Perkolation.

When e want a generic AM/wakeup pot, we'll toss the darkest Waremart-Roast onto the Bunn-o-Matic and brew up some tar.
When we really want an altered state, I'll break out he campstove perkolator and put a fistload of EssPresso in the breach and let is boil for 20+ minutes.

Good {censored}.

• Members

I will say this - I don't particularly care for weak blends. YMMV.

i'm sure you're aware of this but light roasts do not necessarily equal weak blends! too true though about there being too many variables... i try and just make it myself most of the time since it's cheaper and more consistent. i've been cold brewing for the most of the summer and it's been great - i usually make like 3-4 liters at a time and it lasts for the whole week between my gf and myself. super easy and the most delicious way to make iced coffee.

also, if it tastes too watery it probably just means you suck at making coffee.

• Members

coffee please!!!

strong, no sugar!

once had turkish coffee in istambul right upon arrival and no one told me I had to wait for it to settle before drinking straight up as if it was a shot of espresso!

second worst sensation ever!!!

the first one was back when I used to put sugar in coffee and put a spoon of salt instead!!! HOLY {censored}!!!

• Members

I like coffee that is roasted an appropriate amount for the profile of the bean being roasted. Usually that is lighter than most large, nation-wide available, coffee roasters do it (longer shelf life if it's darker). Even though they'll say it's a light roast, if it's on the grocery store shelf it's pretty relative.

Some beans don't want to be too dark. If you over roast a good Ethiopian bean it looses all character to that bean. Most Sumatran beans don't have much subtle character, so they can be roasted a little darker to draw out an earthy flavor.

Roast in and of itself means nothing. A good roaster will roast a good bean to where it makes the best coffee.

This! x1000. How did it take 35 post to get this response?! There are two small roasters in Grand Rapids that take this kind o care. One I don't frequent because it is for elitist hipsters, and since I don't own a MacBook I get {censored}ty service. There other one has amazing coffee, great staff, and is all about providing a great experience. This plac is called Rowsters. Check it if you are ever in town.

Archived