Coffee drinker. Lighter or Darker roast. Why?

TravvyBear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

90% of the time I always use a dark roast. But lately I've been wanting less of a bold flavor, and more of a rich flavor? I'm bad at coffee terms..but anyways, I was thinking about switching to a medium roast. I use splenda, no creme and a Bodum French Press. I wouldn't call myself a coffee snob, but I'm at the point where if I'm making my own cup, a drip brew just doesn't cut it.

• Members

As with beer, I prefer something a little bolder but I will drink whatever the {censored} is in front of me.

Mostly it depends on preparation. If I have to make it at the {censored}ty keurig at work then I need to find a blend so dark light can't escape. If I'm at a cafe that knows what their doing I will go with something medium.

• Members

I like coffee that is roasted an appropriate amount for the profile of the bean being roasted. Usually that is lighter than most large, nation-wide available, coffee roasters do it (longer shelf life if it's darker). Even though they'll say it's a light roast, if it's on the grocery store shelf it's pretty relative.

Some beans don't want to be too dark. If you over roast a good Ethiopian bean it looses all character to that bean. Most Sumatran beans don't have much subtle character, so they can be roasted a little darker to draw out an earthy flavor.

Roast in and of itself means nothing. A good roaster will roast a good bean to where it makes the best coffee.

• Members

Every morning, I make lazy lattes (fresh ground beans, cold milk) using whatever espresso beans I bought in bulk off Amazon, usually a dark roast. At work theres always a pot of Dunkin' Donuts coffee made, not sure what kind of roast because I don't drink it all that often.

Thanks again Christian for the Moka Pot recommendation (months and months back - I still love that thing).

Archived