Lets talk SOLOs!

daysofspeed

• Members

So you're playing a song with your band or friends or self and the epic solo is about to ensue, what do you do to make it stand out?

Clean boost on top of your current drive sound?

TS type pedal with gain low and level high for the mids?

Do you use a completely different pedal solely for leads?

I've tried the first 2 options so far, but going from clean to lead sound sometimes means switching on 3 pedals in one go (more drive, boost and a bit of delay) and then off again.

Sometimes stacking pedals just makes everything feedback too which isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm now thinking of having a pedal for leads only with the volume up nice and high, but need some inspiration.

• Members

Clean boost on top of your current drive sound?

TS type pedal with gain low and level high for the mids?

Do you use a completely different pedal solely for leads?

I've tried all three.

Tone wise, I prefer boosting the already distorting thing, be it amp or another pedal, with a mid boost for lead stuff. But in practice I find that live that's not an obvious enough change so in practice a clean boost after the drive pedal is much more practical.

I've tried a totally different pedal, but to be honest that's usually such a tone/ feel change that I find it distracting.

So what I find works for me is just having at least a couple of overdrive/ distortion pedals that can be used either separately or together to get different tones at roughly the same volume, then a clean boost after so I can use whatever tone I choose at two volumes.

It does mean tap dancing, but I find that not too bad as long as you work out the order to turn the pedals on/off that sounds best for the part.

Edit. I have bolded the sentence above because I didn't realise it sounded so retarded until I proof-read this back to myself, and I think it's funny.

• Members
I've tried all three.

Tone wise, I prefer boosting the already distorting thing, be it amp or another pedal, with a mid boost for lead stuff.
But in practice I find that live that's not an obvious enough change so in practice a clean boost after the drive pedal is much more practical.

I've tried a totally different pedal, but to be honest that's usually such a tone/ feel change that I find it distracting.

So what I find works for me is just having at least a couple of overdrive/ distortion pedals that can be used either separately or together to get different tones at roughly the same volume, then a clean boost after so I can use whatever tone I choose at two volumes.

It does mean tap dancing, but I find that not too bad as long as you work out the order to turn the pedals on/off that sounds best for the part.

Edit. I have bolded the sentence above because I didn't realise it sounded so retarded until I proof-read this back to myself, and I think it's funny.

Ive recently tried using a TS as the clean boost but i dont really like the set eq, the rest of the band have said its an improvement overall compared to kicking on my catalinbread merkin and going all out :lol:

Tap dancing is a bit of a pain but i suppose if you work out a plan of action it's doable.

MrChrisos

Yeah - I used to use a graphic fuzz for leads in the last band I was in.

Also, be sure the band's making space - get the bassist to simplify and the drummer to cut the cymbals.

Good point about dynamics here too :thu:

• Members

i usually add a fuzz for solos ......

Fuzz is always good, I think part of it is finding the right one my BYOC fuzz just disappears in a band mix. On the lookout for a Lunar Module at the moment, used to use one with my old band but for some reason decided to flip it cant even remember why

• Members

For me, I usually kick on a fuzz for solo's, but it depends. I usually stack at least two drives, depending on the sound I want. I have a TS, a BoR and a Sparkle Drive as well as the pharaoh. Tap dancing is a pain, but I don't mind it if I get the tone I am looking for.

I run my BoR last so I can use the boost side to bring everything up a notch (and the pharaoh sounds killer through the ROCK side).

• Members

at all depends on the music, style and song you play

think for acoustic unplugged music, you don't have any pedal for the solo and it just works, if the others back of a bit

sometimes i have a fuzz as for rythm on, and just play the solo with same tone, just i'm high on the fretboard and therefore it cuts through and is recognized as solo

other times its just as simple as switching from bridge to neck pick up

if the rest of the song is "cleanish" i hit a fuzz or a boost or an od or all three or two of them, depending on what works for the song

also you can take the base sound and add a wah for the solo

or add a delay to it

or a phaser or a flanger

or the base sound uses a tremolo and for the solo i turn the tremolo off

there are million of possibilities, no right or wrong and no "the one solo sound" which works for all songs, all music genre and all bands you play with

currently i downsized a bit and use my amp differently, ditched some dirt pedals from my board and only have with a ts-9 and a lpb-1 only two of them on board

on my sovtek midget50 i switched from the clean low input to the dirty high input, reduced the gain to a minimum slightly dirtyish crunch.

backing the volume on my guitar gives me more clean

hitting the lbp-1 boosts nicely the input stage

using the ts-9 alone gives a nice texture

having them both on gives a great mid to high gain compressed sound with lots of sustain and very controllable feedback

and best of all, this setup responds very great to my dynamic of playing and how i play and how i hit the strings has a lot of effect on the sound i get out of it, so i can get great variation out of my playing and can put more emotion and feeling into it and makes me overall a better guitar player.

i still suck but a little less before i changed my setup :D

currently i don't miss any of my fuzzes, lets see what happens when the octophant arrives and can always add the one or the other fuzz which is currently sitting on my shelf

• Members

Oh man, it depends on the song!

Maybe the bass and drums cut back and it's kind of a mid-tempo thing so I'll just click on a phaser. Maybe it's a basic kind of rock thing so I'll just use a boost/eq. Maybe it's a reggae deal so I'll use some echo and wah. :idk:

I just try to keep it interesting.

Archived