Who wants to school me on the Fulltone Fulldrive?

• Members

It's a tubescreamer on steroids.

Not really steroids, which makes it sound gainer than it is. Some nice tweaks, like less bass rolloff, asymmetrical clipping, a switchable 'boost' [which essentially turns up the dirt knob, rather than a discreet boost]. Can't remember what the mids/flat mids does schematically, but the 'comp cut' lifts the clipping diodes in the -fb loop.

I thought it was cool when I had it, but I eventually got sick of the screamer sound, and sold it.

• Members

Had one for a while. Pretty good, I recall the volume between the different models was way off, like the comp cut model was quite loud, the other models were quieter. Boost can't be used on it's own. There's a new FD3 coming out soon, saw it on TGP somewhere. I don't think it goes anywhere near the Plimsoul.

• Members

ok, here we go:

i initially got the fulldrive because chris walla of death cab used it. specifically on the transatlanticism lp and i really loved his guitar sound on that record. i soon found that the pedal was just an all around good sounding overdrive.

my version is the flat mids version after the version with the push pull pot for the compcut. it has a toggle for vintage, flat mids, or comp cut mode.

vintage is basically just a tubescreamer with some tweaks. it sounds like the original fulldrive. a bit of a mid hump, good for cutting through for leads or just getting a thicker overdrive sound.

flat mids mode is what i use the most. its more full frequency as far as the response and it just sounds big but open. not overly compressed. i found it also mixes with my clean tone well, and i sometimes use it with the gain pretty low just to give my sound a fatter, more complex tonal spread. god all the tone speak is making me sick.

comp cut is louder. duh of course its louder. diodes cause insertion loss and when you pull them out of a circuit, well, um errr that loss is now a gain. el oh el. its actually very useful. when i want to have a cleaner sound an hit my amp harder, ill use this mode with the gain up higher. its a great clean boost and whn you hit the boost it gets thick and gainy and awesome.

so, this pedal has been the focal point of my rig for years now. why? it sounds good with every amp ive tried, its rugged, its adaptable, its versatile, and it gets me laid.

{censored} you (not you)

• Members

ok, here we go:

i initially got the fulldrive because chris walla of death cab used it. specifically on the transatlanticism lp and i really loved his guitar sound on that record. i soon found that the pedal was just an all around good sounding overdrive.

my version is the flat mids version after the version with the push pull pot for the compcut. it has a toggle for vintage, flat mids, or comp cut mode.

vintage is basically just a tubescreamer with some tweaks. it sounds like the original fulldrive. a bit of a mid hump, good for cutting through for leads or just getting a thicker overdrive sound.

flat mids mode is what i use the most. its more full frequency as far as the response and it just sounds big but open. not overly compressed. i found it also mixes with my clean tone well, and i sometimes use it with the gain pretty low just to give my sound a fatter, more complex tonal spread. god all the tone speak is making me sick.

comp cut is louder. duh of course its louder. diodes cause insertion loss and when you pull them out of a circuit, well, um errr that loss is now a gain. el oh el. its actually very useful. when i want to have a cleaner sound an hit my amp harder, ill use this mode with the gain up higher. its a great clean boost and whn you hit the boost it gets thick and gainy and awesome.

so, this pedal has been the focal point of my rig for years now. why? it sounds good with every amp ive tried, its rugged, its adaptable, its versatile, and it gets me laid.

{censored} you (not you)

this all the way. I use it with 2 different bands, in 2 different settings. playing more laid back clean stuff i use the comp cut mode as a volume boost for lead or louder parts and the boost to kick the gain up. the boost definitely is not a standard boost, it's like adding a gain stage. in my other band i use the flat mids setting for a little grit and the boost for full on saturated lead. i love my fd2, it's not going anywhere. i can also concur with the previous post saying that it is more like an SD-1 than a screamer. i a/b'd it with my SD1 and with the flat mids setting it's very similar.

• Members

ok, here we go:

{censored} you (not you)

this all the way. I use it with 2 different bands, in 2 different settings. playing more laid back clean stuff i use the comp cut mode as a volume boost for lead or louder parts and the boost to kick the gain up. the boost definitely is not a standard boost, it's like adding a gain stage. in my other band i use the flat mids setting for a little grit and the boost for full on saturated lead. i love my fd2, it's not going anywhere. i can also concur with the previous post saying that it is more like an SD-1 than a screamer. i a/b'd it with my SD1 and with the flat mids setting it's very similar.

• Members

I think they're great. Whenever somebody points out it's just a boo-teek screamer, it cracks me up. Yes, I agree, it is just a boo-teek screamer....with a custom enclosure, two different selectable gain levels, true bypass, a variety of clipping options and voicings, made in the USA, and reasonably priced on the new & used markets, often less than you might pay to buy an Ibanez or Boss pedal and put half of that stuff into it as mods.

• Members

I can appreciate that some here really like it, and I mean no disrespect but I never liked mine. I had an original red one. It really tried to like it but it seemed to have a subtle ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh overtone I could always hear.

Barber Burn Unit with a jrc4558D op-amp is what I have used instead.

Apparently the Fulldrive can be run at 18v. Anyone ever try that?

• Members

Vintage - tubescreamer sound, think lovepedal eternity/TS-9 etc... sounds great! cuts through the mix well, I always found it cut a bit of bass, and the tone knob was more of just a treble knob so that never helped.

FM - A flat mids version of above, so is a bit chimeyer/jangly if you will, similar to a barber ltd sr...

Comp Cut - A freaking incredible clean boost! Totally uncompressed and loud and the right character added.. and u can still use the tone/drive knobs to adjust to taste so it's not a one sound pony like a sho or anything.

The boost just turns the Gain up on Vin/FM.. so you get a tad more volume (not much) but in the comp cut mode it works LOUD..

I had a blue mosfet model, it was great! but I sold it cause I had a HBE Power screamer and Diamond J-Drive aswell and had to cull the heard.. and I had a dozen other T-S pedals to cop FD-II sounds..

But I missed it and picked up a Custom Yellow FD-2 w/o Mosfet which was just as goos (I never noticed the mosfet switch really doing anything) But again I ended up selling the Yellow Fulldrive because I had moved on a Tim for all my Overdrive needs and it was just too big real estate wise to justify keeping it on the board as a clean boost so I stuck with the Fat Boost -1.....

However Like all Mike Fuller's pedals if a good deal came up on another used FD-2 I'd hit it, I'm also on the list to get notified for the FD-3.

• Members

I think I tried a dud when I played one. Had been after one for a while & when I went to Guitar Center I tried the FD as well as the OCD just because I'd never played one before. OCD blew it out of the water but I don't think the 'boost' was working on the Fulldrive. I'd love to try another but at

• Members

I'm in the market for an OCD.. which will be #5 for me.. I need to stop panicking and selling them!

seriously though.. fulltone dealers don't ship overseas so Buying it in Australia would set me back close to $300 new here so I'm in for the forum coming through for me.

Archived