Why do builders link to some very low quality users demos ?

warioblast

• Members

Whether the guy sucks, is out of tune, or the sound is {censored}ty...

I've seen many builders doing this.

I have even seen a builder posting a crappy demo of his upcoming product, and the guy commented he knew his video sucks, he had to hurry...

Why would you post links to videos/demos if it really doesn't do justice to your labour & to your products. :idk::confused::bor::rolleyes::wave:

• Members

while I can understand your thoughts I also don't understand why people put so much stock into clips to help them decide on a purchase, it will never sound the same.

Ya, move the mic an inch in one direction and you've got a completely new sound. :idk: Clips are fun and all but really, you need to try stuff yourself and sometimes that means purchasing it.

• Members

Suck is subjective.

Posting clips may encourage people to record their own. More clips = more free ads.

A small thank you for taking the time to try, without judging.

Realising that everyone has a unique style and what may seem completely useless to you maybe useful to others.

• Members

If a demo is done correctly to explore the various settings, it can help sell a pedal. Want to know the slowest speed a trem can do? The fastest? What does the modulation sound like on that flanger? The demos can help answer some of those questions.

• Members

Suck is subjective. Some guys literally do nothing but make different droning noises (soundscapes or suckscapes, depending on who you ask). Some metal shredders are awesome and I hate the way it sounds.

And some people want "average player" demos. If someone's shredding {censored} up on a pedal, it's not giving me a good idea of what it'd sound like if I played it.

And seriously, I appreciate ANY person who posts a demo of one of my pedals. It helps spread the word, maybe shows something about the pedal that another demo doesn't. It's one of the most awesome things a customer can do.

• Members

As long as the video contains the clean base tone, the effect should be judged relative to that. Most of the PGS videos sound gorgeous before they even turn on the pedal. They also sound good with the pedals, but similar with different pedals, and often when they turn up the volume on the effect, it doesn't get louder as much as more saturated because the amp is on the edge of break-up. Useful if you want to hear what can be done with the pedal and how good it can sound, but almost useless for judging small differences between pedals.

Also, cheap basic video gear tends to neglect sound quality, or just do things incredibly stupid.

• Members

As long as the video contains the clean base tone, the effect should be judged relative to that. Most of the PGS videos sound gorgeous before they even turn on the pedal. They also sound good with the pedals, but I find it very hard to tell if the pedal is really that great. Their videos also sound similar with different pedals, and often when they turn up the volume on the effect, it doesn't get louder as much as more saturated because the amp is on the edge of break-up. Useful if you want to hear what can be done with the pedal and how good it can sound, but almost useless for judging small differences between pedals.

Also, cheap basic video gear tends to neglect sound quality, or just do things incredibly stupid.

• Members

Burgs demos pretty much nail it on the head. I've found his vids accurately represent a lot of the stuff he demos. Problem is not everyone can play as well as him, nor do they have the type of equipment he has. So if you buy a piece of gear based on a demo video you need to realize that you have a different style than the person in the demo therefore the pedal will likely not sound the same. Pedals don't make you a better player they just make a good player sound better. Take it from a crappy player, the only thing that helps my sucky playing is a {censored} storm of modulation that will cover up my suckyness!!! :) So don't buy a pedal based on even Burg's demo and expect to sound like that unless you have the skillz. Know what I mean?

• Members

Suck
is
subjective. Some guys literally do nothing but make different droning noises (soundscapes or suckscapes, depending on who you ask). Some metal shredders are awesome and I hate the way it sounds.

And some people want "average player" demos. If someone's shredding {censored} up on a pedal, it's not giving me a good idea of what it'd sound like if
I
played it.

And seriously,
I appreciate ANY person who posts a demo of one of my pedals. It helps spread the word, maybe shows something about the pedal that another demo doesn't. It's one of the most awesome things a customer can do.

this.

• Members

As long as the video contains the clean base tone, the effect should be judged relative to that. Most of the PGS videos sound gorgeous before they even turn on the pedal. They also sound good with the pedals, but similar with different pedals, and often when they turn up the volume on the effect, it doesn't get louder as much as more saturated because the amp is on the edge of break-up. Useful if you want to hear what can be done with the pedal and how good it can sound, but almost useless for judging small differences between pedals.

nah, I've seen many cases where some of these professional gear salesmen have tweaks and edited those videos to pretty much hide any flaws and make things sound unrealistically perfect.

• Members

Same reason some pickup makers will use used car salesman marketing on their site and have no clips or bad clips. THe low quality sometimes hides how {censored}ty things sound.

Go to someone like Lollar and they have multiple high quality clips. We live in the age of low cost high quality recording. If someone can't spend a little while to make a good demo how much time are they putting into their product? Also, if you loved your product wouldn't you want to show it off?

• Members

I have learned when I listen to a demo, listen carefully, and concentrate. If there is a tonal aspect I can even slightly hear, when I get the pedal that aspect will dominate the sound. The demos seem to cause selective hearing- I only hear the cool part of the tone. Not the hiss, shrillness etc.

As well the guys doing the better demos are very slick players who can make a sonic silk purse out of a pig's ear. Then there is the unlimited tonal shaping and editing that can be done on a pc.

Archived