Explaining Effects To Someone Who Doesnt Understand Effects

Naterel

• Members

I have a friend who uses all Boss and it works for him, Ive been recording with him lately

So I says, Im gonna bring my Bluebeard next time

He says, Whats that?

I says, Its a muff type pedal

He says, I have a Little Big Muff, you can use that

Im like, I prefer my Bluebeard because its more open sounding and has less scooped mids

He says, but its a Muff

I had to leave then, but I could imagine myself having a conversation about what makes my muff and his muff different and then I realized were all gear nerds

NERDS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OP, I know what you mean.

It's useless to discuss gear with some musicians. No big deal. Some know more than others.

If I'm working with a player I respect, who doesn't know anything about effects or amps, I offer to help them out. If they don't care enough to learn, I don't bother.

Some people just don't care what gear they use. Crazy! I know.

• Members

I was having a convo with the new girl I'm dating the other day and started to go on about getting a new effects pedal for my pedalbaord - she stopped me the second I said "pedalboard" because it was like I was speaking a foreign language.

Which is funny because she speaks English, German, French, and some Norwegian.

• Members

Its even worse trying to explain it to non musicians.

"What do you do?"

"I am a writer and guitar pedal builder."

"What's a guitar pedal?"

"Its something you plug your guitar into to make it sound different before it goes to your amp.

"Oh...so like before you plug the guitar into the wall it goes into this?"

"...um...sure."

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Its even worse trying to explain it to non musicians.

"What do you do?"

"I am a writer and guitar pedal builder."

"What's a guitar pedal?"

"Its something you plug your guitar into to make it sound different before it goes to your amp.

"Oh...so like before you plug the guitar into the wall it goes into this?"

"...um...sure."

Haha. I was coming in here to post the same. It's always fun explaining to new people what I do for a living. I have learned that most people know what a wah is, so I typically say I build things like that, even though I {censored}ing hate wah. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects

View Post

Haha. I was coming in here to post the same. It's always fun explaining to new people what I do for a living. I have learned that most people know what a wah is, so I typically say I build things like that, even though I {censored}ing hate wah. icon_lol.gif

Yeah, people usually ask if it's like a wah wah if they don't know that much about it but know a little about rock music.

My cousin's girlfriend asked me, though, "So, like a fuzzbox?"

I was like...yes exactly. (stunned).

She says, yeah that's all I know. Fuzzbox. No idea what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones

View Post

Why hasn't he got a Bogner yet?

It's the best EVER.

It will kick everything else off his board.

Everyone is stupid who doesn't have a Bogner.

I must have missed the memo. Maybe with the right insider information, the multiple Bogner references in completely unrelated threads might be hilarious.

Without that information (if it exists), it's just annoying. Please stop.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I just saw the Bognor (sic) thread... I think I get the reference now. Still, point made already - enough's enough. wave.gif

I have stopped for some hours now, even apologizing in one thread where I was taken seriously. Just parodying the Bogner craze for a bit even though I knew it not to be hilarious. I thought I stopped just in time before it got too annoying idn_smilie.gif

Apologies again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Naterel

View Post

I have a friend who uses all Boss and it works for him, Ive been recording with him lately

So I says, Im gonna bring my Bluebeard next time

He says, Whats that?

I says, Its a muff type pedal

He says, I have a Little Big Muff, you can use that

Im like, I prefer my Bluebeard because its more open sounding and has less scooped mids

He says, but its a Muff

I had to leave then, but I could imagine myself having a conversation about what makes my muff and his muff different and then I realized were all gear nerds

NERDS

How I would go about it, is to explain that everyone has things they like, or don't like about most popular circuits. So many builders have taken that into consideration and modified the standards to reach wider audiences.

Archived