Mint

christianatl

• Members

So while browsing our spam thread something kind of jumped out at me. I don't think people understand what "mint" means. Should we maybe have a breakdown of terms in the thread?

To me, mint means as it was the day it left the factory or builder's place of manufacture. That means no velcro, no marks, no nothing.

Am I crazy?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote Originally Posted by christianatl View Post
So while browsing our spam thread something kind of jumped out at me. I don't think people understand what "mint" means. Should we maybe have a breakdown of terms in the thread?

To me, mint means as it was the day it left the factory or builder's place of manufacture. That means no velcro, no marks, no nothing.

Am I crazy?
Preach it brother.

Mint means nary a mark, scratch, scuff or flaw of any kind. Straight from the factory, with tags and all the goodies, not a ding, dent, scratch, mod, or any hint of weather checking, warped plastic / pickguard, discoloration, or any of the other ravages of time, usage, accident and/or environment.

If you've added velcro to the pedal, it is technically no longer "mint" - whether or not you've removed it or left it, and regardless of the rest of the condition of the pedal. At least IMHO. As a practical matter, I don't personally care either way, as long as the pedal works as it's supposed to, and isn't drastically different than what was described. In their favor, the folks in the spam thread seem to be very clear about whether or not velcro is still on the pedal, whether it's been removed, etc. - even if they're calling the pedals "mint," so to me, it's more of a technicality as opposed to a significant issue in those cases. They've disclosed the use of velcro.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Preach it brother.

Mint means nary a mark, scratch, scuff or flaw of any kind. Straight from the factory, with tags and all the goodies, not a ding, dent, scratch, mod, or any hint of weather checking, warped plastic / pickguard, discoloration, or any of the other ravages of time, usage, accident and/or environment.

If you've added velcro to the pedal, it is technically no longer "mint" - whether or not you've removed it or left it, and regardless of the rest of the condition of the pedal. At least IMHO. As a practical matter, I don't personally care either way, as long as the pedal works as it's supposed to, and isn't drastically different than what was described. In their favor, the folks in the spam thread seem to be very clear about whether or not velcro is still on the pedal, whether it's been removed, etc. - even if they're calling the pedals "mint," so to me, it's more of a technicality as opposed to a significant issue in those cases. They've disclosed the use of velcro.
if we were talking currency, mint means never entered into circulation... and that is where the term came from, so, i'd say, unless the manufacturer is selling it right of the line, mint is not appropriate for spam threads.

• Members

I'm not too keen on pedals that have been stepped on before being called mint. I want the full lifespan of the stomp switch if someone is trying to sell me a minty fresh pedal.

that said, "mint" in a spam listing is a word that makes me so much less interested, as it means that the seller is looking for more money. I prefer dinged-up {censored} for cheap

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by starmansam View Post
I'm not too keen on pedals that have been stepped on before being called mint. I want the full lifespan of the stomp switch if someone is trying to sell me a minty fresh pedal.

that said, "mint" in a spam listing is a word that makes me so much less interested, as it means that the seller is looking for more money. I prefer dinged-up {censored} for cheap
this man. knows how to buy used {censored}.

• Members

As a rule of thumb I don't buy from sellers who resort to suspicious tactics to raise the price of their item. Calling a used item "mint" falls under that category. Same with refusing to post adequate pics of the actual item, or saying "it appears to be working, but the item is untested as I don't have a way to test it." I pass those by and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by b_nehpets View Post
if we were talking currency, mint means never entered into circulation... and that is where the term came from, so, i'd say, unless the manufacturer is selling it right of the line, mint is not appropriate for spam threads.
Elliot Easton of the Cars used to have a dead mint early 60s Burgundy Mist Strat. It had basically never been played. Still had the original hang tags on it (as put there by Fender folks in Fullerton), and even the original strings. THAT'S my definition of "dead mint" - kind of like Fender's idea of a "closet classic" - IMHO, you can have a true vintage guitar that is truly in "mint" condition. It just needs to be as flawless as the day it left Fullerton (or Kalamazoo, etc.)

I've got one from my personal experience. A family in one of our neighborhoods had a son who went off to Viet Nam in the mid 1960s, and unfortunately, he never returned. He left behind a Fender Jaguar. Sunburst. Pre-CBS. Beautiful and completely flawless. This would have been back in the early or mid 1980s, when you really couldn't give offset guitars away. Anyhow, I was asked about what it was worth, had the opportunity to play it a few times. The nice folks who lost their son ended up giving it to their 13 year old grandson, who never really appreciated his late uncle's gift - he immediately proceeded to put stickers on it and generally thrashed it. cry.giffrown.gif

Yes, life is sometimes tragic. facepalm.gif

Archived