Has anyone tried one of those EHX rocking pedals yet?

hugbot

• Members

I've held off because there doesn't appear to be a way to freeze the effect mid sweep. The ability to calibrate the range is cool, but impractical for on the fly. What would've been cool is if you could hold the pedal in place for a couple of seconds and the notch would freeze there, then release the freeze by rocking the pedal quickly from toe to heel (or vice versa).

• Members

I tried one in a store. it was the wah, and it sounder really good. it was very smooth, very clean and open and super expressive. it obviously cant be cocked/ set and forget, but it is a really nice tool and it feels more expressive than a standard treadle.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ispunk

View Post

EHX should have made these with a flat plate underneath that has brackets that attach to the pedal at the pivot point

I read somewhere that they are working on a solution like this for pedalboards. I wish I could remember the source.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

Am I the only HCFX'r who doesn't fix pedals to a pedalboard?

Probably. The way I've been doing it for many years, on the floor or on a custom board that can be reshaped -no goo from velcro either.

It makes my blood boil when people say 'no room for it on my ($100) pedalboard' or 'the pedals too big'. Free yourselves people! It's not a finite island.

I agree with you about the wah not being able to freeze mid wah...

• Members

I had the wah and also did a demo. It sounds incredibly good and it's really expressive. I don't like wah on my board so it wasn't a great problem. The only downside I found in its design is, like Fender&ehx said, the impossibility to freeze the sound on the go. Sincerely it isn't such a great prob with wah, but it is IMO with the volume and expression pedal

• Members

I'm as big an EHX fan boy as there is, but I can tell you from trying one out for a pretty extensive period it sucks. Mine skated across the floor when I tried to use it, and that's really annoying to have to keep dragging it back towards you. People talk about how you can't mount it to a pedal board and the response is always "well I don't put wahs on a pedalboard anyway!" Well, do you use a power supply? Because having a moving wah off the board with a power supply plugging into it invites some challenges about how far a cable can reach (if you use a voodoo labs/cioks/etc. style). If you have to use batteries because of this, well okay, some wah from the future. Also you can't leave it on any position on the fly (or in any sensible way to begin with).

EHX really bit off more than they could chew with this one. It's like solving a problem with wahs and simultaneously creating many others. I'm not sure what an improvement this is over a reliable, workable wah pedal that you have to replace parts for after a few years.

• Members

Well, I never use a wah on my board. I even have the whammy and silver apple (which I use with treadle and momentary switches) because my board is not at a comfortable angle/height for me to stand and rock a treadle or hold a momentary really. Obviously there's the cocked wah problem but I do that sound with my guitar wiring anyway, so I guess it'd be a decent pedal for me actually.

Problem is I don't use much wah anyway and am satisfied with my 535Q

• Members
I just can't imagine having to shepherd a load of individual effects to and from each gig and practice, wire them up every time etc. If you gig, a board is a nice way to make things quick and easy.

I use the Rondo CNB pedal cases for transport, I just don't secure them to the board. I have a couple of old pillows that fit neatly on top of the pedals to keep them cushioned and secure from rattling around inside.

My reason for not fixing them is simple... I frequently swap out pedals and try different configurations depending on my mood, or the song, or whatever situation. The idea of using the same configuration over and over hinders my creative spirit :)

• Members
My reason for not fixing them is simple... I frequently swap out pedals and try different configurations depending on my mood, or the song, or whatever situation. The idea of using the same configuration over and over hinders my creative spirit
:)

Pretty much why I don't fix them to the board.

Archived