Gaps between songs, how do you fill the space

Jan Deal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We'll sometimes change how a song starts to make sure it flows. For example, there's a song where the bass starts, unless it needs to be tuned to drop D first, in which case I start it. If you need to switch guitars, get the drummer playing the beat of the song in the form of a live intro.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Fall

View Post

This cracked me up because the guy who has been playing bass with me for almost twenty years goes crazy if anyone noodles between songs. He barely even tolerates it at rehearsal.

I don't know how many times I have told him to quit noodling. Even discussed with him that it looks unprofessional.

When we get onstage, his ADD and lack of self control kick in, and he's suddenly free and inspired. It still drives me nuts, but I'm not going to be able to change him without dressing him down onstage in front of the crowd. I would do that if he wasn't one of my good friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Noise Factory

View Post

I don't know how many times I have told him to quit noodling. Even discussed with him that it looks unprofessional.

When we get onstage, his ADD and lack of self control kick in, and he's suddenly free and inspired. It still drives me nuts, but I'm not going to be able to change him without dressing him down onstage in front of the crowd. I would do that if he wasn't one of my good friends.

one of my worst pet peeves when playing with or watching a band is noodling between songs.

• Members

+1 make your show a show. You need to consider your show as a unit instead of a collection of unrelated songs. Figure out the overall picture and how the songs can serve that picture. Practice the transitions between the songs. Practice the banter between the songs- I'm of the opinion that you need SOME audience banter in your show... unless your gimmick is a theatrical show without audience interaction.

I would also agree that you should block songs together with specific tunings or different guitars. When my band was playing a lot, we had a 45 minute set that was down to a science. It gave the audience a consistent show, which is critical when you're playing a lot. It also makes certain you know when to start intros, "impromptu" jams, and stops.

Depending on your venues, some tech might be able to help. Put together some random videos to put on a screen with a blacked out stage between songs. Again, though, this can only be done with a lot of rehearsal.

• Members

We try not to spend any/ much time doing stage banter. I hate going to gigs where there are tons of breaks or long breaks between songs filled with inane chatter. I paid for live music, not a chat show! In all seriousness, depending on what type of band you are, a wall of noise/ feedback or looping something to make ludes is always a good idea. In a 30 minute set my band typically play about 8 songs and can probably get through about 5 or 6 of those in a row without breaks in between, and that's despite me using 5 or 6 different tunings with 1 guitar. For our style it means there's no energy lost from start to finish or moments where the set feels like it's lagging.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Banned

View Post

Awkward silence. thumb.gif

This is how Xiu Xiu does it and it is indeed very awkward. Going to a Xiu Xiu show is like going to an art exhibit that looks at you with disappointment. One guy said, "You're quiet!" to which Jamie responded with, "you're not." No one laughed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pbone

View Post

This is how Xiu Xiu does it and it is indeed very awkward. Going to a Xiu Xiu show is like going to an art exhibit that looks at you with disappointment. One guy said, "You're quiet!" to which Jamie responded with, "you're not." No one laughed.

as much as i would love to pull {censored} like this, i cant.

• Members

read stupid t-shirts in the crwd:

"No Nukes"

"Eat the Wales"

"What do Richrad Nixon and Christmas have in common? ... not enuf tape."

(turn to the sexxsi hawtbabe in the front row, crane neck to the left, then the right)

girl... I can not read that ...yer knockers are 'normous.

Can you pop that off and toss it up here?

Archived