Gaps between songs, how do you fill the space

Jan Deal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ay ay ay.

-learn to get the next song ready as soon as possible. Super fast.

-then you've got the space to connect with the crowd how you wish.

-spontaneity can be great, but only if you're in the mood.

I had this one man show once and on the lead up I was in a pretty low state. Felt socially anxious, all kinds of upset, couldn't wait to get up there, get it over with and get out of there. Up until then I'd do a decent bit of crowd chat, but i decided for the first time in years to just shut up and play the songs.

When it came to play I didn't introduce myself, didnt say hello, just got up there, waited for the hello-applause to die down and just let myself stand there for a few seconds to prepare to play. I don't know how long I stood there, but it felt like bloody ages. I started up, unrushed, and played one of my best performances up to that time. There was just this sense of anticipation in the crowd, this extra depth in my delivery. The silence framed the songs, allowed people to really focus, it was great. I learnt a real lesson that night.

• Members

Train yourself to notice potential samples, whenever you're watching TV, movies, youtubes or whatever, listening to an audiobook, or the radio, etc. and start creating/collecting a folder full of them. Even if it's something you don't have a use for right away but might want to do something with later, just grab it and save it.

• Members

Each of you should put together some short transitional solo pieces. While two of you are re-tuning for the next song one guy plays a short piece in the previous tuning. Then the other two guys start the next song while that guy retunes and joins in after a few bars.

Or you could do it the other way around. Two guys finish song #1 while the other guy retunes for song #2, then he does a solo intro while the other two retune.

• Members

But seriously, a lot of good suggestions so far.

We try to structure our set list so songs transition into one another. That way, there are really only two or three spots in the set where there is a break.

As some have suggested, having the drums start a song that you usually all start together is a good idea, as well as the looping. IME, crowds do need a little break here and there, so I wouldn't go nuts with that but it can certainly help.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Noise Factory

View Post

I usually spend the time waiting for my bass player to quit noodling on the bass so we can start the next song.

This cracked me up because the guy who has been playing bass with me for almost twenty years goes crazy if anyone noodles between songs. He barely even tolerates it at rehearsal.

• Members

I haven't played live in a while but I used to improvise long ambient noise sections that would transition between songs. Never any talking or interaction just a full on wall of sound from start to finish of the entire set. no stops. But I didn't have to change guitars. For bands that I'd change guitars, I'd just switch guitars and quickly make sure they were tuned.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hupia

View Post

ask for "a minute of silence in honor of (insert name here), who died recently in an accident, way before his time was due" after every song

I clarify: make it a different person after every song.

• Members

We used to start fighting between songs when we knew there would be a gap. Whoever didn't have to make any equipment changes etc. would just go for the take down of another band member who didn't either.

It worked for us but you are a 3 piece and I doubt that's an option.

BTW we were a lot of fun to go see back in the day.

Archived