Aristotle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

Beatles > Beach Boys.

Brian Wilson > any individual Beatle.

Hmmm... let's see. Comparing him to McCartney (the closest "match" IMO), there are some interesting things to consider.

Brian has one of the best falsetto voices in rock history, and can arrange vocal harmonies like nobody's business. However, Paul also is known not only for his falsetto and ability to harmonize, but he also sang "I'm Down" and "Yesterday" on the same day and session. Wilson can't touch Macca as a rock vocalist. As a singer, I'd give the nod to Macca. As a vocal arranger, to Wilson.

Both are stunning melodicists and songwriters. I don't know how you can really judge which one is better. It comes down to preferences, as all of this stuff does. If you go on chart success, it's no contest - Macca wins. However, it's not just melody and harmony, it's lyrics, and while McCartney gets slammed for his on occasion (especially some of his solo era works), he at least typically writes his own, and Brian often utilized another person as a lyricist for his compositions. On writing, I therefore have to give it to Macca. But this one is very difficult and extremely close IMO.

Both Wilson and McCartney were the bass players for their respective bands, but again, Wilson often used session bassists on his recordings - including the great Carol Kaye - and I don't read a lot of comments from other bass players mentioning Wilson's playing as an influence. Macca is, OTOH, a very innovative bass player, and has received a ton of accolades for his melodic and very inventive playing style. Not even close on this one - McCartney takes it.

Both also play other instruments. With Brian, it's primarily piano. Macca plays piano too, along with a ton of other things, from trumpet to drums to highly under-rated guitar. Some of the best and most memorable Beatles guitar parts / solos were actually played by McCartney. On multi-instrumentalist capabilities and achievements, again - not even close. Macca wins.

Neither man is a recording engineer. I don't know if Macca has someone running his home studio for him or if he typically does it himself when he's using it, but Brian nearly always relies on an engineer. However, as producers, both men have had notable achievements. McCartney had a very capable and talented producer working with him in the person of Sir George Martin, which gave him an opportunity to learn from one of the very best. As his career and noteriety progressed, he (and the other Beatles) started having more influence and say on the productions. Martin, being what I call a "facilitator" type producer, always made it a priority to try to allow them to have a say in things. But Wilson was THE producer on practically all of the really important Beach Boys albums. And as a producer, Wilson did some amazing records. But not a lot of outside stuff. Macca did some very successful outside production work (Mary Hopkin, Badfinger, etc.) as well as production for a lot of his own solo and post-Beatles albums. As a producer, I'd have to give the nod to Brian, but again, this is extremely close.

Arranging is another thing that both men do. McCartney's arrangement chops are not as often touted as Wilson's though. Here I'd have to give the nod to Brian. IMHO, he's one of the best arrangers of the 20th century.

I don't know if I could really call it in favor of Wilson when I break it down. Both are incredibly talented, but of the two, I think McCartney is the more versatile.

Archived