Beach Boys > Beatles

Aristotle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both bands are hacks, producing a racket of noise that appealed to either hippies or pre-pubescent girls who had no taste in music. They were the boy bands of their times. The Justin Biebers. It is only rose-tinted glasses and old ears that look back and think what great music they produced.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Krank'N

View Post

How did Pete Townsend get dragged into this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by caeman

View Post

Both bands are hacks, producing a racket of noise that appealed to either hippies or pre-pubescent girls who had no taste in music. They were the boy bands of their times. The Justin Biebers. It is only rose-tinted glasses and old ears that look back and think what great music they produced.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hivedestruction

View Post

Disagree. Love Pet Sounds & Smile though.

Hit the nail on the head. IMO, anyone arguing that the BBs were more experimental or diverse clearly has listened to any Beatles from rub soul-abbey road

• Members

I've done this argument and made people think I'm nuts plenty of times...so I'll do the diet version.

Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys. His ability to compose and arrange is completely unparalleled in the pop world. To say the Beatles could write better songs than him is ridiculous. It's not even a question. The whole of the Beatles can't hold a candle to Wilson's songwriting.

The amazing thing is how easy he made it sound...his songs are deceptive in that they sound so hooky and simple, but the music is incredibley complex.

Ok, I'm gonna watch a Bronx Tale now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Fall

View Post

Most underrated sixties band and I listen to them a lot more then either the Beatles or Beach Boys.

I would go out on a limb to say that the run of albums from Face-To-Face through to Arthur is unprecedented by either The Beatles or The Beach Boys in terms of consistency... no filler for several albums consecutively... stunning.

But underrated? Who doesn't love The Kinks?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by evets618

View Post

Glenn Campbell played lead guitar on Beach Boys tunes.

Eric Clapton played lead guitar on Beatles tunes.

So, yeah, the Beach Boys FTW.

icon_lol.gif

Beatles tune*

I like the Beatles better than the Beach Boys, but that's just like, my opinion or whatever.

From a historical point of view, The Beatles are probably the more significant of the two.

• Members

Brian Wilson > John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Beatles > Beach Boys.

Make what you will of that.

I'd still prefer listening to the Yardbirds, Kinks, Doors, Love, Donovan, Neil Young, Otis Rush, etcetc. over both them though.

Archived