• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob

View Post

Beatles > Beach Boys.

Brian Wilson > any individual Beatle.

I can get down with this.

In before the cool contrarian contingent chimes in about how they all suck and are overrated and people that like the Beatles and/or Beach Boys are pedestrian tools that listen to whatever Rolling Stone/VH1 tells them to or something like that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

While the Beach Boys had real gems from Pet Sounds/Smile, they also had a boatload of crap from the early and late years, and tripe like Sloop John B that outweigh the good stuff by sheer volume.

thats pretty much my take on the beatles, except i dont even like the songs most consider gems.

• Members

I think even Brian Wilson would disagree with the thread title. I agree with HWB's take but I'll take it a step further by saying the Beach Boys had Brian Wilson, but the Beatles had 4 Brian Wilsons. My folks talked about how most of the Beach Boys couldn't even play their instruments, let alone excel on them. When you look at the maddening pace that the Beatles were releasing groundbreaking albums, poor Brian couldn't keep up and ultimately broke down as a result.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyFingers

View Post

I agree with HWB's take but I'll take it a step further by saying the Beach Boys had Brian Wilson, but the Beatles had 4 Brian Wilsons.

Dude, Ringo is not even in the same universe as Brian Wilson. Sorry. A lot of the Beatles greatness is John and Paul being each other's foil and George chipping in to make that band better than the sum of it's parts. Brian Wilson pretty much carried the Beach Boys by himself, he were the parts and the sum.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

View Post

Dude, Ringo is not even in the same universe as Brian Wilson. Sorry. A lot of the Beatles greatness is John and Paul being each other's foil and George chipping in to make that band better than the sum of it's parts. Brian Wilson pretty much carried the Beach Boys by himself, he were the parts and the sum.

You underestimate Ringo as a drummer. It's cool, alot of people do.

Archived