Blakemore Effects R.O.U.S. Tour Box Thread.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by T ned

View Post

Kay, final thoughts.

Truth be told, I love my RAT (bought used around '90, got the LM chip in it). It's been my go to dirt pedal for a long time. I've tried replacements for it, (Teaser/Stallion was as boteeky as I got), but never tried going against an actual clone. So I tried it at home and fooled around with it awhile. I had a hard time dialling in a tone that mimicked my fave, so I gave up and just dug into the sounds that the ROUS offered. My preference with the ROUS was the diode switch up. It was louder, and had a fuller tone than the down position. I fooled around with the EQ for a bit, found something that would work, and set it aside for band practice. I liked it so far, but it wasn't a game changer.

Took it to practice tonight, and while I thought it did a good job, my mates loved it. It wasn't too loud, but it was present and I didn't feel like I had to add a boost for solos. They didn't miss the RAT at all this time (they have in the past). They don't want me to give this up, and I wish I had the chance to keep it for another week for another run-through. My Torn's Peaker placed before this was heavenly and provided some ripping tones for solos.

So, after band practice, it could be a game changer. It's going to take a lot to get me off of my RAT security blanket, but this might do it. Sounded OK at home, but it filled some empty spaces I didn't know were there at practice. My mates are ready for me to trade off.

The ROUS is off to AntiHero tomorrow. Have fun with it.

That's high praise. Band practice is the ultimate test.

• Members

Ok, box has been picked up and this time without "XS Condoms Enclosed" on the box so thats progress. I would have had it in my sweaty palms yesterday but i was at a time sucking wedding.

Anyway ill give it a shot and try to get some decent clips, but no promises since all ive got to record at the moment is a Q3.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects

View Post

I have been slacking quite thoroughly in checking in on this thread. I was out of town, but I'm back now. theAntiHero, do you have any initial thoughts? Excited to hear what you think!

My intial thoughts are this is suprisingly good for doom, i know some people use Rat's for doom but ive never heard one i like. Until now.

Ill try to get some decent clips and send it on its way, ive got a cold and with the whole spinning head thing my timing is suffering but itll give people an idea.

Also i like the velcro on the bottom for this tour box but id like to see some sort of labeling for the controls even if its a manual and not on the pedal itself.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

My intial thoughts are this is suprisingly good for doom, i know some people use Rat's for doom but ive never heard one i like. Until now.

Ill try to get some decent clips and send it on its way, ive got a cold and with the whole spinning head thing my timing is suffering but itll give people an idea.

Also i like the velcro on the bottom for this tour box but id like to see some sort of labeling for the controls even if its a manual and not on the pedal itself.

It's just a prototype...

Top 2 knobs: volume, gain

Bottom 3 knobs from left to right: bass, mids, treble

Switch up: no diodes (more volume, less compressed, less nasty)

Switch down: more nasty, less volume

• Members

OK, its packed up and on its way to the next guy, it should be there on sat from what they told me.

I was very impressed with its doomworthiness(yeah i made that word up) and with anything downtuned, it can get pretty damn nasty. I recorded a couple quik clips with that in mind, ill get them uploaded shortly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC

View Post

{censored} yeah anxious to hear it anti

Dont get too excited, im not great at recording.

So here it is straight from the amp into a q3 and into your homes not polished up at all. It does give you an idea of what it sounds like without any warming over but the pedal sounds much better than i have the means to record.

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?...id&value=13517

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

Dont get too excited, im not great at recording.

So here it is straight from the amp into a q3 and into your homes not polished up at all. It does give you an idea of what it sounds like without any warming over but the pedal sounds much better than i have the means to record.

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?...id&value=13517

Just checked the clip. {censored}ing cool, man. thumb.gif

• Members

I has it.

First, why is the box so freaking huge?

Second, Blake, you did a phenomenal job with this, dude. I had a Rat-type pedal before (GGG Rat clone) and this sucker sounds so much better than that one ever did. I like my distortion huge-sounding and fuzzy. My favorite settings on the ROUS is depicted below:

photo-11.jpg

That's a mids knob, correct? Apparently I love mids. Also the volume is not anywhere near unity because my roommate decided to take a nap right as I started playing with it. Hopefully I can open it up a little later on tonight and maybe record a quick terrible video that might do more harm than good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by papersun

View Post

I has it.

First, why is the box so freaking huge?

Second, Blake, you did a phenomenal job with this, dude. I had a Rat-type pedal before (GGG Rat clone) and this sucker sounds so much better than that one ever did. I like my distortion huge-sounding and fuzzy. My favorite settings on the ROUS is depicted below:

photo-11.jpg

That's a mids knob, correct? Apparently I love mids. Also the volume is not anywhere near unity because my roommate decided to take a nap right as I started playing with it. Hopefully I can open it up a little later on tonight and maybe record a quick terrible video that might do more harm than good.

Weird! I got online to bump this, and then I saw you had done all the work for me. Haha. Glad to see you're liking the pedal! That's awesome, man. And I struggled with what to call that middle knob. It's sort of a mids knob, but I'm tempted to call it a "texture" knob instead. What would you call it? haha

• Members

View Post

Weird! I got online to bump this, and then I saw you had done all the work for me. Haha. Glad to see you're liking the pedal! That's awesome, man. And I struggled with what to call that middle knob. It's sort of a mids knob, but I'm tempted to call it a "texture" knob instead. What would you call it? haha

I could get behind texture, i found it to be sort of subtle which i really liked. For downtuned stuff i had it just barely on.

• Members

View Post

call it a size knob.

Archived