The Official Boss RE-20 Space Echo Lounge

echodeluxe

• Members

Can you do the thing with an RE-20 that people have done with the verbzilla? - Running a cable from the mono out to right in and then from the right out to amp?

Someone said you could get good sounds doing this with the verbzilla...

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
How do you guys run your RE-20s? Mine does not seem to want to play nice in the effects loop of my tube amp even though it's not a gain-based effect.
:confused:

i :freak: at effects loops. i only use OLD fender amps. i dont get why people like using effects loops :idk: who uses dirt from their amp :confused: it never sounds as good as a pedal does IMO. i think the only gain coming from your amp should be natural gain. ala bassman gain :love: that with some murky delays = more :love:

• Members

i
:freak:
at effects loops. i only use OLD fender amps. i dont get why people like using effects loops
:idk:
who uses dirt from their amp
:confused:
it never sounds as good as a pedal does IMO. i think the only gain coming from your amp should be natural gain. ala bassman gain
:love:
that with some murky delays = more
:love:

The RE-20 into a cranked Bassman is a beautiful thing. :love:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

View Post

I haven't tried it with the RE-20 but I have done it with the Echo Perk. It's cool I guess. All it does is just oscillate really easily.

The RE-20 into a cranked Bassman is a beautiful thing. love.gif

I tried it with my RE-20, makes it louder, almost like double the output. Seems to make it more hifi too, you should try it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I played a melos tape echo last night, and as much as i love that warm natural sound of actual tape... it was a huge pain in the ass. really temperamental and unreliable unit. the re20 kinda seems a little too accessable and easy to use, but i can't complain. yay for technology huh.

• Members

the re20 has been having trouble cutting through the mix when I play with another guitar player. I regret selling my ad900. tweaking the tone controls helps but gotta be carefull not to get too treble-y

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mike.sartori

View Post

This delay gets better and better, I just got a PP2+ and now I am completely satisfied with it's performance. For anyone who just want a simple to use, great sounding delay with tap tempo (essential to me) I think this is the best one out there.

+1

I've found the pedal outstanding for swelling notes in, especially with an octron evil.gif I couldn't be without the tap tempo now at all. I've more or less got into the routine of leaving it on the third mode, and just adjusting delay time, volume and repeats as needed. With my Vox the pedal does add a little hiss, but its far from unbearable.

• Members

can i be slightly controversial and question if the artifical high frequency whirring gets on your nerves?

i spent a solid hour with an RE-20 when it came out thinking i would love it, but even turning exaggerated tone settings kept the sschhtk sschhtk sschhtk artifact. if i could have dialed it out i would have bought one, but i couldn't, and every clip i hear since then has it.

i know its part of the character but it would do my head in after a while. especially when using lots of repeats like i do.

• Members

I thought the delays on the RE-20 sounded great, very similar to the real thing. But I couldn't handle the high frequency loss when the pedal was engaged, it sucked all the high end out of the signal. I'd have a great cutting lead sound and then I'd turn on the RE-20 and it would dull the sound considerably. I guess it doesn't bother most people, and usually I'm not too fussy, but I could really hear the difference. So in the end that's why I sold it.

I considered getting a mixer pedal like the Radial BigShot Mix to run it in parallel, but it's just too much hassle.

The Boss DD-5 I had never did this, so I guess it's something to do with the COSM on the RE-20.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dandy13

View Post

the re20 has been having trouble cutting through the mix when I play with another guitar player. I regret selling my ad900. tweaking the tone controls helps but gotta be carefull not to get too treble-y

Trying using all the outputs - Guitar -> L/in, jumper cable from Right In to Left OUT, Right out to AMP, something like that, it boosts the level of the pedal, that might help it cut through the mix.

• Members

I just got the RE-20 a couple of weeks ago. This thing is pretty awesome. I just wanted to share this setting I was dicking around with. It has kind of a Bob Marley Exodus vibe to it.

Setting 1

Bass - 1 o'clock

Treble - 12 o'clock

Repeat Rate - 8 o'clock

Intensity - 12 o'clock

Echo Vol - 11 o'clock

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gambit

View Post

can i be slightly controversial and question if the artifical high frequency whirring gets on your nerves?

i spent a solid hour with an RE-20 when it came out thinking i would love it, but even turning exaggerated tone settings kept the sschhtk sschhtk sschhtk artifact. if i could have dialed it out i would have bought one, but i couldn't, and every clip i hear since then has it.

i know its part of the character but it would do my head in after a while. especially when using lots of repeats like i do.

Did you read my posts on Page 3? I had he same problem, and I solved it by moving my buffered pedals around.

Archived