The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

I was just kidding, if it's a middley amp, then even with them as low as 4 or 5 it still probably wouldn't sound 'scooped'.

Well..... okay. icon_lol.gif

I'm secretly a shredder and my Blues Jr. brings the Br00talz!!! evil.gif

Scooped mids for lyfe!!

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy

View Post

Well..... okay. icon_lol.gif

I'm secretly a shredder and my Blues Jr. brings the Br00talz!!! evil.gif

Scooped mids for lyfe!!

lol, that's what I was getting at!! poke.gif

Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Normally I play clean Master 5-6 Volume 1-2 as I play louder I keep the ratio unless I switch for organic crunch. Then I play Volume 8, and the Master to need of the situation.

Fat off

Reverb- 5-6

is your "Presence" a Bill mod? I don't have a presence pot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyboy62

View Post

Normally I play clean Master 5-6 Volume 1-2 as I play louder I keep the ratio unless I switch for organic crunch. Then I play Volume 8, and the Master to need of the situation.

I've got try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyboy62

View Post

is your "Presence" a Bill mod? I don't have a presence pot.

Yes. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart82

View Post

normaly i play master and volume at 3.. sometimes i wish i could crank up the volume....

fat off

but i dont have any presence knob

Yeah.... this is what I've been doing too, but since A/B'ing my Blues Jr. with my Tiny Terror / Marshall 2x12 .... it's sounding a little thin. Looking for a way to fatten up the cleans just a bit. Perhaps that "Fat" switch should be turned on .... icon_lol.giffreak.gifidea.gifpoke.gifcop.gif

• Members

View Post

this is how you play or how you would play?thumb.gif

This is Kayzer being funny. thumb.gif He owns a number of pointy guitars and a pedalboard that would make you cry.

• Members

View Post

this is how you play or how you would play?thumb.gif

Wouldwink.gif

This is Kayzer being funny. He owns a number of pointy guitars and a pedalboard that would make you cry.

I am still working on a number of amps that make you cryevil.gif

• Members

i have been gassing for a blues jr for a while now.

theres one on CL near me in blonde with the oxblood cloth and DAMN it looks nice.

i think i could really benefit from a smaller combo amp in case i have a gig where taking the bassman would be hard, or to run in stereo.

i just realized that i dont like loud clean amps. i like amps to be loud, but i think i just love the grind of a low to medium power amp. like that bassman 50 i had? WAYYYY too loud, and no breakup. bleh. it sounded like a hospital.

the bassman? pure grind and the cleans are unreal. now if i had a blues jr, i could really push it. bassman for cleans and blues jr for dirt? sounds hot.

for your drooling pleasure:

01010501150501160620080629e57b7362d8da67

$390. good deal?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

i have been gassing for a blues jr for a while now.

theres one on CL near me in blonde with the oxblood cloth and DAMN it looks nice.

i think i could really benefit from a smaller combo amp in case i have a gig where taking the bassman would be hard, or to run in stereo.

i just realized that i dont like loud clean amps. i like amps to be loud, but i think i just love the grind of a low to medium power amp. like that bassman 50 i had? WAYYYY too loud, and no breakup. bleh. it sounded like a hospital.

the bassman? pure grind and the cleans are unreal. now if i had a blues jr, i could really push it. bassman for cleans and blues jr for dirt? sounds hot.

for your drooling pleasure:

01010501150501160620080629e57b7362d8da67

$390. good deal?

If it's in really good condition it's a pretty decent deal. I got mine (black with salt and pepper) for $340 loaded with new JJ's but that was also before fender raised it's prices by nearly 20%.

• Members

You'd definitely have to change the speaker. The stock blues junior speaker sounds good clean, especially with the BillM mods, but as soon as you pump the volume, the bass gets really loose and "farty". Everything gets a bit muddled in fact. The green beret would be a good choice IMO since greenbacks break up pretty quickly, and you'd be using the BJr for dirtier sounds.

Also, you might want to look into replacing the tubes as well.

• Members

oh well, i always make sure i get good tubes for my amps. i just take a bunch of tubes to the wattson shop and use one of our two tube testers to match the power tubes and to get a balanced phase splitter.

i am actually really excited about trying a warehouse speaker. i hear so many good things about them. i wish they had the green basket green berets in stock though. that would look cool in the blues jr.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

You know, I have a Blonde BJ and I absolutely LOVE the stock sound. I tried the Tweed version (the upgraded one) a few times at GC and thought it was too plain sounding. The tone in mine especially when the tubes are nice and toasty...sound perfect. I don't even hear the boxiness. Now I only play it clean. I use an OD pedal mostly for grit. Once in a while I'll put the gain (volume) up but I am lazy and lie to just step on my Bad Monkey!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mikespe

View Post

You know, I have a Blonde BJ and I absolutely LOVE the stock sound. I tried the Tweed version (the upgraded one) a few times at GC and thought it was too plain sounding. The tone in mine especially when the tubes are nice and toasty...sound perfect. I don't even hear the boxiness. Now I only play it clean. I use an OD pedal mostly for grit. Once in a while I'll put the gain (volume) up but I am lazy and lie to just step on my Bad Monkey!

Rock on! I like the stock sound but by reading around, I get the feeling I can get a little more output with a speaker upgrade.

I'm wondering if you have the same speaker in yours that I do in mine.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LowWoods

View Post

I just have to figure out how to take this thing apart correctly. Any suggestions about that would be much appreciated. biggrin.gif

It's not too tough. You may want to take the tubes out first, although it's not necessary. If you'd feel more comfortable, take them out, otherwise just be careful handling the chassis when you pull it out. Unplug the speaker and the reverb and undo a few screws.

Do NOT put your new speaker in like this.

texasheat004fi8.jpg

Fortunately, I spotted this as I was about to put the chassis back in. The speaker contacts pointing up would have put them behind the chassis and impossible to plug in. I set the chassis back down, unscrewed the speaker, turned it, and all was right with the world.

I'm very happy with the Texas Heat, BTW. It makes the amp more articulate, if that makes sense. The bass and treble controls are much more responsive. I primarily play a Tele, so I keep the treble down a bit, but with the Texas Heat the treble is not as ice picky, and the bass has more presence.

And the speaker in the black and blond versions are the same one. The NOS Tweed is the only one with a different speaker - a Jensen.

• Members

I have a 1999/2000 BJ I bought new (Green REV C board). I thought is was a good amp until I upgraded it earleir this year. Now it is a great amp. At 15 watts its still to loud for my bedroom practice amp but I use it when I practice with a band.

I replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion Greenback. Marginal difference. Replaced the original tubes with JJ and Tugsol. Marginal difference. I did the following BillM mods which were are remarkable improvement from stock and highly recommended. Tone stack, reverb kit, presense control, adjustable bias, power supply stiffening, metal input jack. The presense control is great and the reverb went from poor with a background hum to one of the best reverb's I've heard. My bias was way off but since I did the mod and made the adjustment, I'm hoping I won't be cooking my tubes anymore.

A moderate level of skill and soldering experiance is recomeended to do these mods. It took me about 3-4 hours to do the BillM mods myself.

Archived