The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To all those asking about the guitar in the pic ... unfortunately, that one isn't mine. I posted the eBay pic that was shown on the listing because I haven't had time to take an updated rig pic. I'll update that later, once I fix this gorgeous amp.

Fix the amp? you ask? I'll post more on that later.

That said, I'm rocking my Blues Junior with these babies:

n161501268_31006549_6984.jpg

• Members

Mine's just a totally stock Black model. I dunno guys. I love the sound of it as is. It can get really raunchy or be very sweet sounding. That's what I love about it. I have to say, though, I love this amp 200% more since i started putting an Ayan Slim and Smooth in front of it. It's also perfect for use with my Ric 330 at high preamp volume settings.

I usually set it something like with the Ric:

S&S: Slim
Volume: 10-12
Treb: 12
Bass and Mid facing one another
Master: 2-3
Reverb: 8-9

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy View Post
To all those asking about the guitar in the pic ... unfortunately, that one isn't mine. I posted the eBay pic that was shown on the listing because I haven't had time to take an updated rig pic. I'll update that later, once I fix this gorgeous amp.

That said, I'm rocking my Blues Junior with these babies:

n161501268_31006549_6984.jpg
i love that {censored}ing les paul. its my favourite one.

Quote Originally Posted by star0nfire View Post
It's a limited edition, I was very lucky to get one smile.gif

I'm thinking about replacing the speaker on it, not sure to which one, though.

Suggestions? smile.gif

I thought it might be a LE. Fender had a bunch of them at last year's NAMM show, done up in custom colors and paintjobs, painted / silkscreened grilles, etc. - usually with a matching CS guitar sitting next to them. love.gif

As far as the best replacement speakers for a BJr, I'm not the guy to ask - I don't own one, and I have not experimented with different speakers in them, but the first place I'd look to get a replacement speaker for just about any amp would probably be Ted Weber. They make great speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by StratStevo View Post
I have a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog in mine, I also like the Weber 12F125 for use with any Fender amp love.gif

I'm sure a Celestion 25 watt Green Back would be a marked improvement over the OEM Eminence. The Jensen that comes in the tweed Limited Edition BJ's is a 100% improvement over the stock speaker...the Jensen I heard didn't quite have the bottom that I was use to in the Weber's, but I'm not sure it was broken in all the way yet either?
When I was fixing up the "$80 Princeton" last year (a semi-thrashed but working '71 Princeton Amp I got at a local pawn shop for $80), I went ahead and put in a new 10" Jensen into it. I did so just because I could get one locally and immediately, and the stock Oxford had a tear, making it unusable. I was aware that the "new" Jensens are being made in Italy, and not by the original Jensen company, and honestly I wasn't expecting much from it, but it sounds surprisingly good IMHO. I still may put a Weber into it someday, but I'm not in the rush to do so that I thought I'd be initially. However, if I hadn't been in a rush to get it functioning well enough for testing purposes, I would have gone Weber.

• Members
As promised, my Fix the amp? update. wave.gif

Many of you probably saw my post last week (thanks for the edit Phil) expressing a certain frustration with the handling techniques of the "trusty" U.S. Postal Service.

Well ... when my beautiful Blooze Junior arrived, I soon discovered that thy guy I bought it from had failed to take the casters off of this amp (why he had casters on it, I'll never know) and thus, it had been severely damaged in route.

The bottom of this amp was made of solid OAK (the outside is Teak) and it had been cracked from size to side, it was also almost completely dislodged as the screws were more like pegs (no threading), a trim piece on the front had been partially snapped and ... the list goes on. Pics:

n161501268_31009802_3801.jpg

n161501268_31009891_3816.jpg

n161501268_31009900_5960.jpg

n161501268_31009800_3324.jpg

So... all of this sucks, but the good news is that it's all fixable.

I've talked with the seller (real nice guy from Spokane) several times via email & phone and he's willing to cover all the repair costs. So, I managed use a sharp knife to cut away all the glue and take everything apart so that I could get correct measurements and whatnot over the weekend. Tonight I'm going to Home Depot to get some replacement wood, screws, glue, stain & clamps to fix this thing. Lucky for me, my wife loves to refinish furniture... so I should be able to match the stain pretty well.

Here's what it looks like now:

n161501268_31013576_5481.jpg

n161501268_31013577_5739.jpg

n161501268_31013578_5982.jpg

I'll post more pix as it comes along. Probably when it's done.

Right now, I'm gonna go see if I can find some amp feet for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by only_shallow View Post
i love that {censored}ing les paul. its my favourite one.
Thanks!

• Members

Blues Jr. Fixed (mostly). Pix later.

Now... I'm reviving this thread to find out some stuff about mods.

Somebody was talking about their Blues Jr. mods and said they had some kind of switch installed that took theirs from 15 watts down to 1.5 ... for quiet practice. What do you all know about that?

Also... I've got a rattle in mine somewhere. When I really crank this thing, there's a rattle. I think I may have isolated it to to springs on the bracket holding the power tubes in. Is this typical? Fix advice?

• Members

I just bought a used blues jr off of craigslist for $275. The kicker: it came with a celestion greenback speaker in it. I'm psyched. Anyway, I was wondering how you guys have your eq/gain settings, and what the tone stack mod does?

Now all I need is a fulltone OCD and a telecaster and I'll never have GAS again.

• Members
Blues Jr. Fixed (mostly). Pix later.

Now... I'm reviving this thread to find out some stuff about mods.

Somebody was talking about their Blues Jr. mods and said they had some kind of switch installed that took theirs from 15 watts down to 1.5 ... for quiet practice. What do you all know about that?

Also... I've got a rattle in mine somewhere. When I really crank this thing, there's a rattle. I think I may have isolated it to to springs on the bracket holding the power tubes in. Is this typical? Fix advice?
there is a fix for that i've been meaning to do but haven't gotten around to. you put some rubber tubing around those springs and some grommets between the tubes and the metal hlolder. i've even got the materials to do it but was waiting until i changed tubes. i'll see if i can hunt up some more about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by johnrambo

View Post

there is a fix for that i've been meaning to do but haven't gotten around to. you put some rubber tubing around those springs and some grommets between the tubes and the metal hlolder. i've even got the materials to do it but was waiting until i changed tubes. i'll see if i can hunt up some more about it.

So that rattling is normal then?

• Members

Both the Blues Junior and the Pro Junior have their fans. The Blues Junior probably has more because it has reverb, plus a master volume. It's ice cream, which flavor do you want?

The hottest bang-for-the-buck made by Fender is neither of these, it's the Champion 600, 5 watts of all-tube goodness for $199.

Added by edit: That was not to offend any other Blues Junior owners. I also have a Blues Junior and like it very much.

Roger

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy

View Post

So that rattling is normal then?

Yes unfortunitly it is normal...those tube brackets suck. Rattle like a snake. I took them off of my Blues jr since it never really leaves the house unless i am recording. The tubes arent gonna rattle out of the sockets while playing with out the bracket i think its purpose is to stabilize them for transit.

• Members

Hey guys,

I realize that this is not the least "biased" place to ask smile.gif, but I'm curious if any of you have compared the Blues Jr to the Pro Jr. I A/Bed a few of them this week and I think I was able to get a sweeter tone out of the Pro Jr. It obviously lacks the reverb, but other than that they're very similar amps so I figured some of you might have experience with both of them. Thoughts?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ambys View Post
Hey guys,

I realize that this is not the least "biased" place to ask smile.gif, but I'm curious if any of you have compared the Blues Jr to the Pro Jr. I A/Bed a few of them this week and I think I was able to get a sweeter tone out of the Pro Jr. It obviously lacks the reverb, but other than that they're very similar amps so I figured some of you might have experience with both of them. Thoughts?
Before getting my blues jr i had the same debate...I just like the master volume option as well as the reverb option. No disrespect to the JR, it sounded fresh, if i was to get a simpler, even smaller amp on a budget it would be the new Champ 600. One knob and it sounded great with my Jazzmaster and Dipinto Philadelphian. If money was no issue i would be all over the Swart Atomic Space Tone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

Before getting my blues jr i had the same debate...I just like the master volume option as well as the reverb option. No disrespect to the JR, it sounded fresh, if i was to get a simpler, even smaller amp on a budget it would be the new Champ 600. One knob and it sounded great with my Jazzmaster and Dipinto Philadelphian. If money was no issue i would be all over the Swart Atomic Space Tone.

Makes sense. I actually own 2 Pro Jrs, and every now and then I second guess my decision. Back in the day I was debating whether to get one Blues Jr. or 2 of the Pro Jr., with the obvious advantage that I could run them in stereo. I don't think I've necessarily made the wrong decision, but I would love to have that master volume (I live in an apartment) and built in reverb. The reverb on the in-store Blues Jr. that I tried was a bit muffly-sounding, but I've listened to some clips online that sound better, so I'm wondering if it was probably just because it was a display model.

Archived