The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lolaboona

View Post

I'd like some input from the knowledgeable blues jr. fans out there, what improvements will make the most difference in the sound. I have the blonde/oxblood one that is all stock specs. I've read about a lot of mods out there, and I was also thinking of just upgrading the speaker. What's my best option making the most improvement in my tone (not that I can complain about what I have now).

PS-also what kind of speaker wattage/ohms does one need to replace it with? (as you can tell, I know little to nothing about this kind of stuff)

BillM eq mod will make a huge difference. Speaker swap too.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyboy62

View Post

+1

Thanks everyone. Fender did something special. Anyone know anything about this special run? I looked at the board and it's cream 2003.

• Members

Brought out the Junior tonight and plugged it in. We had been using my new Boogie and a ton of software amp models on GTR and Amplitube lately so the Fender was a bit dusty. I don't know why I ever try to use anything else when I want to record HUGE guitar tonessmile.gif The Junior cranked and miked with a Tone Factor '75 Special out front blows the doors off anything I have ever heard!

• Members

For you gentlemen with replaced speakers...

What's the best speaker to use in a Blues Jr. without changing the sound dramatically. I have a 2x12 avatar cab with V30/G12H30, and I don't like how that sounds when plugged into the Blues Jr. It sounds too modern, and too trebly. Are Jensen or Weber speakers like this? I want a replacement that'll keep the vintage vibe with subdued highs and honky mids. While it shines with my Laney, the V30 fails for the Blues Jr. for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rummy

View Post

For you gentlemen with replaced speakers...

What's the best speaker to use in a Blues Jr. without changing the sound dramatically. I have a 2x12 avatar cab with V30/G12H30, and I don't like how that sounds when plugged into the Blues Jr. It sounds too modern, and too trebly. Are Jensen or Weber speakers like this? I want a replacement that'll keep the vintage vibe with subdued highs and honky mids. While it shines with my Laney, the V30 fails for the Blues Jr. for me.

Check out reviews of the Texas Heat. It's very popular over at the Fender forum, and it's not supposed to alter the sound of the amp much.

• Members

I was going to go for a Texas Heat ... but opted out for a Cannabis Rex because I could get it for the same price.

I like it. A little darker than the TH as I recall though. Either way ... I doubt I'll change it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy

View Post

I was going to go for a Texas Heat ... but opted out for a Cannabis Rex because I could get it for the same price.

I like it. A little darker than the TH as I recall though. Either way ... I doubt I'll change it.

How long have you had the Cannabis Rex? I'm curious about breaking in time.

Do you still get that Fender sound with the darker speaker?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 2deaconblues

View Post

How long have you had the Cannabis Rex? I'm curious about breaking in time.

Do you still get that Fender sound with the darker speaker?

Sheesh... I've had that speaker since ... December? I don't know about break in time... I bought it used.

And I'd say ... yeah, I still get the fender clean with the Rex.

Check clips here: http://eminence.com/soundclips.asp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here are some recent pics I snapped of my beauty.

n161501268_31134195_1090.jpg

n161501268_31134196_1425.jpg

n161501268_31134197_1774.jpg

n161501268_31134198_2124.jpg

Mods:

-Custom Teak Cabinet w/ Oak Base

-Eminence Cannabis Rex Speaker

-JJ's Tubes

By BillM:

-Tone Stack

-Twin Stack

-Reverb Mod for Green Boards (update to Cream Board specs)

-Power Stiffening mod

-Metal Input Jack

-Simple Bias Adjustment

-Presence knob added

-Master Volume Taper Mod added

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by machine gunner

View Post

They're down to $499 now, about $20 more than list for standard one poke.gif The Jensen makes a BIG difference IMO...

I would def have popped for the tweed NOS as well. Just as I was about to, when I had a plain 2yr old one come my way for under $400 that had just been serviced/overhauled by our local Philly amp whiz who put JJ's in place of the stock tubes, re-biased it etc. Jim W confirmed the work as well. I thought the amp was new by looking at it, and not one that was 1.5 -2 yrs old and used for some gigs. The dude that sold it to me bought a line 6 spider to gig with. idn_smilie.gif

Archived