The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Members

Have you tried the oven mitt test? Play a note that will cause the sound while holding each tube in turn with an oven mitt. This may require three hands, now that I think about it. If the sound goes away while one tube is being "dampened" then try swapping it out. Of course, you probably already heard of this at FDP.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey all, for the past few months I've been saving for an ac15. But now this thread is really swaying my opinion. Plus the used ones around here are selling for cheaper (around $300).

I have a question though: what effects do you use in front of your blues jr, or do you use any at all?

My main pedals are an ocd and a keeley mod ds1, which sound great with vox. But if they're no good with the blues jr, I may just sell/trade em all and start all over. Ahh... decisions!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by snailedk

View Post

Hey all, for the past few months I've been saving for an ac15. But now this thread is really swaying my opinion. Plus the used ones around here are selling for cheaper (around $300).

I have a question though: what effects do you use in front of your blues jr, or do you use any at all?

My main pedals are an ocd and a keeley mod ds1, which sound great with vox. But if they're no good with the blues jr, I may just sell/trade em all and start all over. Ahh... decisions!

I use a lot of effects (this is the effects lounge after all thumb.gif). I have Fulltone FD2, TOD, BMP, Cool Cat Fuzz, a couple of delays, some pitch shifting, etc. I think they all sound great.

• Members

Hmmm. How long should tubes last?

I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string because it varies depending on usage, but I use it everyday but not for overly long periods of time. Gigs, I've done about four withit and it's held up. I changed the tubes last year.

If I was to change them what would you recommend for the Blues Junior? I play Psychdelic Rock if that helps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 2deaconblues

View Post

Have you tried the oven mitt test? Play a note that will cause the sound while holding each tube in turn with an oven mitt. This may require three hands, now that I think about it. If the sound goes away while one tube is being "dampened" then try swapping it out. Of course, you probably already heard of this at FDP.

Mmm, I like the sound of the oven mitt test. I'll give it a try as soon as I get home tonight and see if that helps. Thanks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by boytbpc

View Post

That's beautiful. This may be a weird question, but does the amp sound different in that cabinet?

It must. I see empty Blues and Pros cabinets for sale on ebay all the time. Those and the output transformers. They must be upgrading to Heyboer or Mercury Mag OT's. Probably the single most killer tone upgrade you could do for these, and not that expensive.

• Members

The Blues Jr. takes effects very well. I use a Bad Monkey overdrive, a delay, and chorus all the time, and I also throw in tremolo, compressor, and fuzz from time to time.

I had a Guyatone overdrive that I was very fond of but it did not sound good with the Junior. Guyatone has since come out with a new version of the pedal with a tone control (mine just had level and gain) that would probably be better as mine tended to drop bass too much. The Bad Monkey has High and Low tone, so it works great.

• Members

Hope someone can help me - I purchased a BluesJr on eBay that I love. The only thing that bugs me is the previous owner replaced the tweed cover and did not pull it tight before staple it to tack it down so it looks "wavey". I want to take the speaker apart and re-staple it. This morning I took the front 4 screws out and the speaker and board the speaker is attached to will move around but I cant get it out. Obviously I have to remove more screws to get the speaker board out. Any help out there??

Thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDaddy

View Post

Hope someone can help me - I purchased a BluesJr on eBay that I love. The only thing that bugs me is the previous owner replaced the tweed cover and did not pull it tight before staple it to tack it down so it looks "wavey". I want to take the speaker apart and re-staple it. This morning I took the front 4 screws out and the speaker and board the speaker is attached to will move around but I cant get it out. Obviously I have to remove more screws to get the speaker board out. Any help out there??

Thanks!

Not sure quite what you're describing. Here's what I'd do. Unplug the speaker jacks and the reverb cord. Take the back cover off. Be CAREFUL not to touch anything inside. Remove the top screws and side screws that hold the chassis in (the chassis is the metal box with all the electronics). Remove the chassis with special care not to bump the tubes. Removing them first might be a good idea.

With the chassis out, unscrew the speaker and remove it.

Now you will have full access to the baffle ( the part the speaker attaches to). You should be able to see all the screws that hold the baffle in place.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by snailedk

View Post

I play a Keeley mod DS-1 and a Fulltone FD-2 into my Blues Junior both sound really great. Good to know they sound good with an AC15 I am trying to pick one of those up right now. Both are awesome choices.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by eric.chambers

View Post

Anyone know if you should re-bias the amp when replacing the power tubes? Just got some new tubes, but I can't see how the bias would be adjusted.

Blues Juniors do not have adjustable bias. facepalm.gif

BillM has a mod to fix that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassDan

View Post

Anyone notice or are you aware of a change in quality in the move from US to Mexican manufacturing?

(cheapish MIM Blues Jr around these parts)

not much of a difference. only differences are between the pre 2001 and post 2001 amps. they changed from a green to creme colored circuit board and there are some changes to the reverb circuit and tone stack i believe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by boytbpc

View Post

That's beautiful. This may be a weird question, but does the amp sound different in that cabinet?

not a whole lot different, its much warmer sounding now I just recently put in a Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker and this really sounds nice in this cab with the added low end the speaker provides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought this little beauty a few weeks back, one last bit of GASage before our baby was born. It's the limited Edition Texas Red, my camera doesn't really do the colour any justice.

Only had a chance to crank it a few times but it sounds superb, also has a different speaker to stock, a Celestion G12 iirc.

DSC03725a.jpg

DSC03727a.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dan

View Post

I bought this little beauty a few weeks back, one last bit of GASage before our baby was born. It's the limited Edition Texas Red, my camera doesn't really do the colour any justice.

Only had a chance to crank it a few times but it sounds superb, also has a different speaker to stock, a Celestion G12 iirc.

DSC03725a.jpg

DSC03727a.jpg

SEXAY~

• Members

Hi All,

I recently bought a pair of New Sensor Mullard EL84 to replace the JJs that I had in it. I bought these as per my amp tech's suggestion. They are carbon coated, and thus can handle running hotter for longer.

They sound great and I am happy with the change.

Cheers,

Boytbpc

Archived